Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden tick of the year.

Old Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 13:10   #1
pauco
Старлинг фан

Thumbs up Garden tick of the year.

Very busy in garden this am, due to slight snow overnight. 12 male Blackbirds + 4 females, and all the other regulars, but the best for me was the sight of 2 Fieldfares!! life garden tick what a start to the day.

Paul.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 19:05   #2
Denis
Gwent Wildlife Trust

We had a Red-Legged Partridge in the garden here yesterday - that was a new graden tick for me.
www.gwentwildlife.org
Old Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 21:24   #3
Sleeper

Real do Paul!

It is great when you get another bird visiting...what were they eating?

Next for the Waxwing hey!
Old Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 21:52   #4
Richard W

I've been keeping everything crossed for Waxwings, every flock of Starling sized birds gets my hopes up but nothing yet, still several hundred in local area.

on the subject of Fieldfares have had a very good flock in fields next to where I work for a few days & no idea what they're eating, the field where they spent most of the afternoon is only occaisonally used for grazing sheep.

In other years they've been in old orchard, but last autumn I discovered too late that someone decided to take all the windfalls to feed to their pig , they used to attract good numbers of Fieldfare and Redwing.

will be putting a stop to that next year.
Old Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 22:03   #5
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
I've been keeping everything crossed for Waxwings, every flock of Starling sized birds gets my hopes up but nothing yet, still several hundred in local area.
Up here, a flock of starling-size birds is rather more likely to be Waxwings!

Quote:
on the subject of Fieldfares have had a very good flock in fields next to where I work for a few days & no idea what they're eating, the field where they spent most of the afternoon is only occaisonally used for grazing sheep.
Probably earthworms, slugs, leatherjackets, butterfly pupae, and any other invertebrates they can find
Old Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 22:31   #6
Gill Osborne

Every time I see a flock of starling-sized birds I look but, so far, haven't got myself any waxwings!
Are there any good spots where they are hanging around NOW? Though the way this snow has started falling since dusk with hardly any let up I have a feeling that we won't be able to get out in the 4X4 tomorrow, never mind my Micra! Wellies it is! LOL

GILL

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: