• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (5 Viewers)

Another 51 Heart and Darts made up the bulk of the 79 moths of 19 species in the trap this morning.

Smoky Wainscot (early?) was NFY, 3 Dark Arches continued their run, and the second Elephant Hawk-moth of the year along with the first White Ermine for a while provided the aesthetic interest.

John

My biggest and most varied catch of the year this morning, but nothing spectacular. 57 moths of 16 species, with five NFY:
Blastobasis adustella
Notocelia uddmammiana (12 days earlier than my previous earliest)
Eudonia lacustrata
Common Carpet
Mottled Rustic

Steve

Took me a few hours last night to go through everything from Tues night but ended up with 96 moths of 46 species (7 micros to send off for checking still). Besides the Small Fan-footed Wave I had Marbled Coronet, Brown Rustic, Uncertain, Clay, Heart & Club, Purple Bar, Short-cloaked Moth and Plum Tortrix new for the garden. Riband Wave NYF. Marbled Coronet is a little stunner.
Probably my biggest range of moths so far and a lot of brown/grey things that take a bit of looking at in detail when your are newish to the game.
Following the comment up thread, I too would really like a book with comparison plates and markers (arrows) on the more confusing and/or closely related species.

Marbled Coronet was a tick for me going through the trap this morning and I agree it's a little stunner!

47 Heart and Darts led the field of 13 species to a total of 65 moths. You've already been notified of the moth of the day but a NFY Bird's Wing was also nice. Apart from that 3 Shuttles held off all comers for second place in the numbers game.

John

Late update from 8th June. Still low numbers so need to invest in a better trap but Willow Beauty, Miller, Foxglove Pug, Bright-line Brown Eye and Footman sp. Pics below if someone could confirm Miller, Foxglove Pug and what sp the Footman is. Thanks

Attachments

• Miller.jpg
    Miller.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Foxglove pug.jpg
    Foxglove pug.jpg
    768.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Footman sp.jpg
    Footman sp.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 22
Windy night last night but I decided to trap anyway as it was supposed to drop for the middle part of the night. No idea if it did but there were 62 moths of 16 species in the trap this morning, including 40 of the ever-reliable Heart and Darts. Four Dark Arches came second but NFY Least Carpet and Rustic took the honours, such as they were.

John

Last night was good, but I'm at the point where there aren't enough hours in the day. I'm guessing a lot of stuff will have to be ignored unless my skills improve dramatically.
Blotched Emerald, Gold Triangle, Lime-specked Pug, Mottled Beauty, Celypha striana, Aleimma loeflingiana Homoeosoma sinuella all new for garden. Large Tabby, Common Footman & Fan-foot NFY. 2nd Peppered Moth, Light Arches and Scorched Carpet. 27 Heart & Darts biggest number.

Last night was good, but I'm at the point where there aren't enough hours in the day. I'm guessing a lot of stuff will have to be ignored unless my skills improve dramatically.
Blotched Emerald, Gold Triangle, Lime-specked Pug, Mottled Beauty, Celypha striana, Aleimma loeflingiana Homoeosoma sinuella all new for garden. Large Tabby, Common Footman & Fan-foot NFY. 2nd Peppered Moth, Light Arches and Scorched Carpet. 27 Heart & Darts biggest number.

Envious of that Emerald, never had Large Tabby Either and only ever one Scorched Carpet.

Still poor here, nearly didn't put the light on last night, wish I hadn't bothered, 8 H+D and 1 Spectacle was it!

Last edited:
Catch up for the week:-

6th June - 32 moths 7 species with Mottled Beauty new for year
7th June - 81 moths 24 species with Lackey, Lime Hawkmoth & Light Arches new for year
8th June - 67 moths 30 species with L-album Wainscot, Snout, Single-dotted Wave, V-pug, Spilonota ocellana, Small Blood-vein, Aphelia paleana & Smoky Wainscot new for year
9th June - 85 moths 20 species with Treble Brown-spot & Uncertain new for year
10th June - 125 moths 22 species but nothing new for year
11th June - 81 moths 21 species with Pale Mottled Willow & Prays fraxinella new for year & a decent catch of hawkmoths - 9 of 4 species (4 Elephants, 2 Poplar, 2 Privet & an Eyed)
12th June - 40 moths of 16 species with Cochylis atricapitana new for year

Courtesy of Bob's Clevedon trap Coleophora mayrella was also new for the year.

A few pics starting with the nine hawkmoths of four species on Thursday night & a few more hawkmohs - 2 Privets, Elephant, Poplar & Lime.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 001 Hawkmoths (nine of four species).JPG
    001 Hawkmoths (nine of four species).JPG
    782.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 002 Privet Hawkmoth.JPG
    002 Privet Hawkmoth.JPG
    846 KB · Views: 12
  • 003 Elephant Hawkmoth.JPG
    003 Elephant Hawkmoth.JPG
    597.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 004 Poplar Hawkmoth.JPG
    004 Poplar Hawkmoth.JPG
    811 KB · Views: 13
  • 005 Lime Hawkmoth.JPG
    005 Lime Hawkmoth.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 14
A few more pics - L-album Wainscot (2 pics), Small Blood-vein, V-pug & Treble Brown-spot.

Attachments

• 006 L-album Wainscot.JPG
    006 L-album Wainscot.JPG
    711.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 007 L-album Wainscot.JPG
    007 L-album Wainscot.JPG
    473.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 008 Small Blood-vein.JPG
    008 Small Blood-vein.JPG
    752.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 009 V-pug.JPG
    009 V-pug.JPG
    716.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 010 Treble Brown Spot.JPG
    010 Treble Brown Spot.JPG
    736.7 KB · Views: 9
A few more pics - Mottled Beauty (banded form), Lackey, Light Arches, Uncertain & Common Swift.

Attachments

• 011 Mottled Beauty.JPG
    011 Mottled Beauty.JPG
    905.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 012 Lackey.JPG
    012 Lackey.JPG
    648.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 013 Light Arches.JPG
    013 Light Arches.JPG
    692.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 014 Uncertain.JPG
    014 Uncertain.JPG
    849 KB · Views: 10
  • 015 Common Swift.JPG
    015 Common Swift.JPG
    550.4 KB · Views: 8
And a few micros - Ringed China-mark, Prays fraxinella, Coleophora mayrella, Cochylis atricapitana & Aphelia paleana (Timothy Tortrix....)

Attachments

• 016 Ringed China-mark.JPG
    016 Ringed China-mark.JPG
    580.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 017 Prays fraxinella.JPG
    017 Prays fraxinella.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 018 Coleophora mayrella.JPG
    018 Coleophora mayrella.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 019 Cochylis atricapitana.JPG
    019 Cochylis atricapitana.JPG
    520.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 020 Aphelia paleana.JPG
    020 Aphelia paleana.JPG
    480.2 KB · Views: 8
Finally for Graham, a bit of a play with Wainscots. I did check the hindwing on the Smoky but identified it without so a few pics to illustrate the differences.

1. Smoky Wainscot - dark lateral central streak, triangle of black spots & spots along the terminal edge
2. Common Wainscot - unmarked & plain save for venations
3. Southern Wainscot- broad & pointed with dark lateral central streak & black spots including along terminal edge
4. Common Wainscot (forehead) - plain
5. Southern Wainscot (forehead) - variable but occasionally strong white band

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• ZA 001 Smoky Wainscot.JPG
    ZA 001 Smoky Wainscot.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ZA 002 Common Wainscot.JPG
    ZA 002 Common Wainscot.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ZA 003 Southern Wainscot.jpg
    ZA 003 Southern Wainscot.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 15
  • ZA 004 Common Wainscot.JPG
    ZA 004 Common Wainscot.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 11
  • ZA 005 Southern Wainscot.jpg
    ZA 005 Southern Wainscot.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 16
Paul,
pic 2 is a very worn individual and there is a suggestion of a dark area which may have worn away or is it the light?

Andy

An even more strongly marked forehead on a male Heart and Club this week but still the M - shape rather than the triangular wedge of Heart and Dart and this is a male with strongly pectinate antennae again. They 'normally' do not have such strong black markings on the forehead.

(You would have thought having taken photos for 40 years, I would have learned not to put my finger over the lens.......... 3:)).

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• ZB 001 Heart and Club.JPG
    ZB 001 Heart and Club.JPG
    645.9 KB · Views: 12
  • ZB 002 Heart and Club.JPG
    ZB 002 Heart and Club.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 16
Trapped my brother's back garden last night hoping for a bonanza of different stuff. I did get a lifer and a year tick: NFY True Lover's Knot and tick Dwarf Cream Wave (2 of each) - my 21st moth tick this year!

That was from a total trap of only 22 individuals of 8 species: 7 Heart and Darts top scorer but 5 Grey Pine Carpets second is indicative of the different environment from my own garden. One May Bug.

I'm going to have another go tonight in a different spot in his garden and see how that goes.

John

Another catch up here:-

31/5 74 moths 28 species. NFY, Snout, Privet Hawk-moth, Riband Wave, Sandy Carpet and Silver-ground Carpet.

2/6 64 moths 30 species. NFY, Straw Dot, Mottled Beauty, Shears, Tawny Shears, Treble Brown Spot and Plain Golden Y.

5/6 already done, only 4 moths, nothing new.

8/6 8 moths 7species. NFY, Nettle Tap. NFG Argyresthia cupressella.

Rain for 3 nights.

12/6 162 moths, 58 species. NFY, Peppared Moth, Large Yellow Underwing, Flame, Green Silver-lines, Clay, Chrysoteuchia culmella, Archips podana, Elophila nymphaeata, Parapoynx stratiotata and Crambus perlella. NFG Gillmeria pallidactyla.

I also received this picture from my daughter in Sevenoaks, a Toadflax Brocade, it would have been a lifer for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200608_163535_590.jpg
    IMG_20200608_163535_590.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back