• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (2 Viewers)

Swaro always seemed to inovate new designs and others seemed mimick their designs;
EL with its open bridge design and all the copy cats followed. Even the original CL at the time with its relatively
thin bridge had a bunch of copy cats follow. Old SLC had a front focuser but not too many followed that.
I'm unsure if that was an original design by Swaro at that time.

Rotating the prisms to make the hourglass shape IS innovative and Swaro-like.
So kudos to them for thinking outside the box with ergonomic design again.
I'm not sure I like it yet but it is original.
However the bit of copying from SF seems un-Swaro like.

just wondering before it's gone from my memory, but what bike was that in your avatar? Greetings from another (competitive) cyclist (my current setup is an Argon18 Gallium pro with Campagnolo Bora + Campa record)!

Trek 9.9SSL Equinox Time Trial with Sram Red.. One of way 2 many ..! :)

CJ,
Who are you right now? Will the real Chosun pleas stand up?
Where's the criticism of the over the top marketing ? "no edges"??
Another big heavy bin. You're usually as disappointed as I am.
Where's the usual comments about using lighter materials?
Most alarming of all is the copy of SF focus wheel position.
It's practically the same dang thing and you shredded Zeiss for years about it, but barely a peep about this on the NL.
I thought you'd be as disappointed as I am.
You have Dennis so excited he's about to poop his pants.

Very smart of Swaro to keep the EL on the shelves...great move.
NL is really just their answer to SF but I think they had an opportunity to
do something special here.

Dennis,
Don't forget to preorder your crystal forehead thingy and go to Staples
today to pick up your giant envelope. Don't forget to bring snacks and water for your trip...and a bed pan.

Lol ! :-O

It is true GiGi - I'm not quite myself lately - some rather big fish to fry - matters of Sovereignty, Global Justice, Universal Love, and a great many Ostriches. Beyond that the ongoing personal challenges are putting all that lot in the shade and making them look like a pleasant walk in the park on a sunny day .....

So yes, I'm down to just a mere solar eclipse atm (working on a Supernova :) . I did though, after listening to a Queen song (A Kind of Magic) see the most impressive low level meteor on the Winter Solstice ! :D So that's a very encouraging sign :)

Besides, 4 chocolate bars has given me a small window for a reply. I actually thought I'd been in reasonable form in this thread ! The blue loo spin stuff will definitely make it onto this year's highlight reel, and I though the opposition brand prank on the forehead was pure gold ! hahaha :-O

I've already passed judgement on this bin earlier - the contrived ergonomics are not going to be to my liking. In fact I think it is strange that Swaro has taken this rearward tippy weight business to such an extreme that they are making a mini shock absorber available for your forehead so that you don't get concussion ! (assuming you've already survived the sticker shock that is ! :eek!: :)

I'm right with ya, a heavy bin is not really what the doctor ordered, but I can give kudos to Swarovski - they've actually listened to us ! We've been banging on about a 70-72° birding bin here for years, and Swarovski paid attention - well done Swaro ! :t:

It remains to be seen once Dr Jan bifurcates this thing ("Nooo Mr NL - I expect you to die .... !" - apologies to Ian Fleming and Cubby Broccoli) whether it is a mechanically sophisticated design, and short of using Unobtainium, it's as light as it can go - or - whether it needs a trip to 1800-Jenny. Time will tell. (I'd also like to find out what these strange "angled pushrods" are ? )

After that video, I almost lost the will to live. Great tactic by Swarovski to deflect any tricky marketing questions. I found their claims less spurious than some other brands. Had they claimed 'up to and beyond' virtually invisible edges I might have had an issue with it ! *wink*

So while I probably won't be lined up at the sales counter, I'm very interested to get this wee beastie in the hand and have a squizz through it. Honestly, if it has a colour cast this neutral side of 'green ham' it will be a very good start.

Also, despite the literal small car price here in Oz, the fact that Swaro has made this extra wide angle optical design, gives me some hope of putting in a custom order for this optical train in a MHG-like 3-D printed carbon fibre chassis !! :D I think a 150m 8.5x will.be perfect. :t:

Is that better - lol :-O 3:)

Chosun :gh:

Rotating the prisms to make the hourglass shape IS innovative and Swaro-like.
So kudos to them for thinking outside the box with ergonomic design again.
I'm not sure I like it yet but it is original.
However the bit of copying from SF seems un-Swaro like.

The hourglass shape is innovative for sure. Rotating the prisms is something else SF did first though. It was done to get the bigger prism of the two closer to the eyepiece and so move the weight in that direction and it will have the same effect in NL too.

Lee

Last edited:
This is far smaller than the 96º apparent field of the Linet 8x40 binoculars

Ed, the Linet is nowhere near 96* AFoV. Linet were notorious for their completely over-the-top claims on their prism covers. They wouldn't get away with it today. The AFoV is probably mid 70s so comparable with the new NL.

Graham

Ed, the Linet is nowhere near 96* AFoV. Linet were notorious for their completely over-the-top claims on their prism covers. They wouldn't get away with it today. The AFoV is probably mid 70s so comparable with the new NL.

Graham
Most of those old porro's had really soft edge's also. Swarovski claim's sharp edges and a big FOV for the NL.

Giving samples to “influencers” is an interesting strategy as actual reviews are what sway people, though it would be good to have independence rather than what look like die-hard Swarovski users/fans. One does question their independence and thus the validity of their review. I am sure in coming weeks we will get the comparative reviews that we all want and thus can see how the small differences between the different models actually pan out in real life in different situations.

Peter

Which is why we have an "influencer" review of the 32mm SF a full six months before they might show up? ;)

The hourglass shape is innovative for sure. Rotating the prisms is something else SF did first though. It was done to get the bigger prism of the two closer to the eyepiece and so move the weight in that direction and it will have the same effect in NL too.

Lee

That's interesting...didn't know Zeiss did the rotating prisms schtick earlier.

You surely do not have to be a birder to own particular pairs of bins as I have many and most likely with buy a pair of the 12X42 "just because" and thats all thats really required. I am not influenced by anyone and if I decide that is something i want, i buy it. This is no different then the camera people when something new is released like the new Nikon D6 @ Nikon 120-300 ZOOM..

I will have a pair of these as soon as i can find a pair available here in the STATES..

Good on you.
You appreciate the value of this kind of gear, fine precision mechanical designs, either pure or sometimes melding with superior optics. Either way, works of art and splendid craftsmanship, plus they are a joy to use. Clearly eminently collectible if the resources are available.
Alternatively, there is the 'catch and release ' technique pioneered by Dennis, but this involves considerably more work.

CJ (post 265),

Yep that's a little better now :)

Dennis,
I hope you know I'm just teasing you a bit :)
That is OK! I agree with you about the weight and price of the new NL. I am with Herman in that I am using lighter binocular's now and prefer to keep them 32mm and under. I also agree with Chosun in that I am surprised binocular manufacturer's don't use carbon fiber more in their top binocular's for weight reduction. I will probably wait for the 8x32 NL which should be around 20 oz., have a 520 foot FOV and sell for a more affordable $2600.00:eek!: or look at the new Zeiss 8x32 SF when it come's out. I find the 8x32's, 8x30's and for pocket use even the 8x25's are all you need most of the time in the daytime and I sure like carrying them a lot better in the field!

Body shape pinched from a Cola bottle.

The head pad has nano coatings to repel moisture.

An update will be electrodes connected to the forehead to increase brain power.
This will give increased processing speed and quicker bird recognition with an apparent increase in transmission to 182%.

I have many nice 10x50 binoculars with measured fields of 7.5 to 7.9 degrees.
The edges are soft though and high quality eyepieces with the Swaro will be better.

However, high quality astro eyepieces have been available for decades with 82 degree fields and very sharp edges.

B.

That's interesting...didn't know Zeiss did the rotating prisms schtick earlier.

See the pic. SF on the right, EL on the left, see the prisms are rotated in SF so that the bigger one is on top, nearest to the eyepieces.

Lee

Attachments

• SF_EL Cutaway Test .jpg
    SF_EL Cutaway Test .jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 171
On the occasional threads about what binocular improvements people would like to see, the possibility of image stabilization on alphas is often raised. On one of these threads I pointed out that the only currently available binoculars with image stabilization at that time were porros and until now that remained the case but with the new Swarovski NL Pure image stabilization on roofs things have changed. Whether this new system works on the 8x, 10x and 12x remains to be seen, but will it work on higher magnifications. This will need to be examined before it can be claimed to be an all embracing system, as image stabilisation has a more beneficial effect at higher magnification.

SWAROVSKI HAVE ADMITTED THAT IMAGE STABILISATION IS NECESSARY EVEN FOR 8X AND 10X BINOCULARS So Kimmo Kabsetz has been right all along and should be congratulated for pointing it out so often.

Leica, Nikon, Zeiss and others have a lot of catching up to do.

Stan

Last edited:
That is OK! I agree with you about the weight and price of the new NL. I am with Herman in that I am using lighter binocular's now and prefer to keep them 32mm and under. I also agree with Chosun in that I am surprised binocular manufacturer's don't use carbon fiber more in their top binocular's for weight reduction. I will probably wait for the 8x32 NL which should be around 20 oz., have a 520 foot FOV and sell for a more affordable $2600.00:eek!: or look at the new Zeiss 8x32 SF when it come's out. I find the 8x32's, 8x30's and for pocket use even the 8x25's are all you need most of the time in the daytime and I sure like carrying them a lot better in the field!

I am with you on this....I shed the 10x42's HT's .....8x SLC's ...now concentrating on mid priced 32mm's. Lightness is great

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back