Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A new garden 'tick'

Old Thursday 23rd March 2006, 13:43   #1
bill moss

A new garden 'tick'

Hi folks,

I should explain that I count as a 'garden tick' anything that lands in the garden or on the things in the garden (trees, shed, electricity supply pole and cables). As far as the cables are concerned only that bit directly above the garden counts, while the pole is just our side of the garden fence. Thus the Pied Flycatcher that stood on the wires just the other side of the pole a few years ago didn't count, despite my pleading with it to move across a bit.

I haven't had anything new to tick for months, then it was a Tawny Owl on the pole in the dark (sound and a good torch) and before that the last one goes back to late 2003 (Lesser Black-Backed Gull, believe it or not, the only Gull on the list).

This time I looked out of the kitchen window and everything looked normal, which is what fooled me because the smaller birds were still going about their business undisturbed. But when I looked up, there on the pole was a Buzzard! Dashed for the camera (all right Sue, I know) but it didn't wait for me, missed it by seconds, bah! I suppose with the recent increase in Buzzard numbers in the area I should have expected one sooner or later.

Anyway, that takes the garden list to 45.

Bill
Old Thursday 23rd March 2006, 14:39   #2
Ross Hunter
The two things that matter in life are the 2 B's Birding and Bill Oddie

wow it must have been a big buzz seeing a buzzard in the garden and all the birds going about the usual routine in my garden when a cat or something that could cause a threat to the birds they scatter to a tall tree or fly to the next door neighbours roof i hope there is many more adiitions to your list

Happy birding
Old Thursday 23rd March 2006, 15:24   #3
Ivor_Frog
Yorkshire...land of the idiots :)

Hi Bill
I wish a buzzard would come into mine, but so far the only raptors I have had have been sparrowhawks. I haven't had any recent "ticks" but, just after I think I said on here that Bullfinches never come into my garden, I spot a male one on the ground beside the hawthorn tree twice within a few days. Then I see a Long-tailed tit ( another species I assumed had some allergy to my garden ) in the tree too. Maybe they're there more often than I think, but I didn't always look so closely at that tree...I think I shall now.
Old Thursday 23rd March 2006, 18:58   #4
Judo

Hi Bill,
Congratulations on the Buzzard. What a shame you didn't manage one of your brilliant photos, hope he comes back for you & you get one then. P&L eh Bill?? ( sorry, couldn't resist LOL). All the best, Judo.

"A light broke in upon my brain, It was the carol of a bird, It ceased,and then it came again, The sweetest song ear ever heard."

Lord Byron
Old Thursday 23rd March 2006, 19:52   #5
George Garner

Hi Bill,
Brilliant garden tick, you are a jammy so n so, I'd give my wife away for a tick like that. ( good job she doesn't read these pages)
G eorge
Old Thursday 23rd March 2006, 20:08   #6
Mutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Garner
Hi Bill,
Brilliant garden tick, you are a jammy so n so, I'd give my wife away for a tick like that. ( good job she doesn't read these pages)
G eorge
LOL LOL LOL, ditto for me too george !

andy
Old Friday 24th March 2006, 07:35   #7
NIK III

Hi Bill,
What a terrific garden tick. To have a Buzzard so close and in your own garden. Perhaps they are increasing in other areas as well. I saw 3 together on the ground last weekend at RSPB Morcambe Bay. In the garden though that's really something. My latest tick is Grey Heron also last weekend, courtesy of my mirror re previous thread. That only brings me to 32 so plenty of 'scope' for more.
Roy.
Old Friday 24th March 2006, 09:17   #8
Ruth Daniel

Good one Bill,
You're going to be jealous but I'm going to tell you anyway,lol.............I was pottering around my garden one day earlier in the week when I heard a familiar sound.
Looking into a cloudless sky I saw 5 Buzzards circling above,mewing and falling with wings outstretched and nearly touching each other,wonderful!!!
I presumed it was some sort of displaying they were doing?? but marvellous to see and hear and all above my garden!!!!
Best wishes,
Old Friday 24th March 2006, 13:15   #9
Paminfra

I saw something similar here a couple of days ago Ruth - plus a Buzzard standing by the fence which divides my garden from a neighbour's orchard. And where was the camera on the one fine day.....???

Pam.
Old Saturday 25th March 2006, 22:47   #10
Janay15

Well done with your Buzzard Bill - I'd love to see a Buzzard in my garden.

Take care,
Janay
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: