Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How many birds?

Old Monday 6th August 2007, 15:58   #1
Soyeb
"Im the Boogeyman and im coming to getcha"

How many birds?

Im back guys after a long absence from birdforum, was busy with college this year and had some personal stuff to sort out.
So with only this month left for summer I was wondering what birds nested in your garden this spring/summer and if any birds are still nesting. Did the young birds successfully fledge?
I only had a blackbird nest in my garden, and had sparrows nest in the roof. nearly every house in our street has atleast 4 families of sparrows nesting in the roof.
The blackbird parents abandoned the nest and never came back but the sparrows did feldge
happy birding everyone

Liverpool fc the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be.
Old Monday 6th August 2007, 16:51   #2
pstraughan

Welcome back, I just recently rejoined too. I don't know if any birds are still nesting, but I had 3 broods of Moorhens on my pond, 14 Pheasants (even after I accidentally disturbed the nest), and have had juvenile Mallards, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Magpies, Blackbirds, Dunnocks, Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Blue and Great Tits. I know that the Blue Tits and Blackbirds definitely nested in the garden.

Pat
Old Monday 6th August 2007, 17:33   #3
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Wellcome back Soyeb.

I have had young Blackbirds, Starlings, Robin, and Dunnocks in the garden. The Dunnocks only very recently. To be honest apart from the Balckbirds I am not too sure if thay actually nested in the garden or not, but if not they were nearby. I am sure Wrens have nested again, but as yet I have not seen youngsters. The Woodpigeons definately nested in the trees at the foot of the garden and last week I had a very young Woodpigeon sitting in the sun on the lawn. Fresh out ot the nest I think and struggling to fly. I think it is the youngest Woodpigeon I have ever seen! Just a bigg ball of feathers.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th August 2007, 18:24   #4
pie

Hi Soyeb,
Welcome back.
I'm thrilled to say I had my first ever nesting of 3 Wrens. They successfully fledged a couple of weeks ago.

Apart from that I've seen various juvenile Blackbirds, Blue & Great Tits, Dunnucks, Magpies, Hedge Sparrows, Robins, Green, Bull & Chaffinches.

Latest news, my garden filled with a second brood of LTT's on the weekend.

This years disappointment was no return of the GS Woodpeckers.

Gread thread idea Soyeb, enjoy your Summer

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th August 2007, 18:53   #5
BazR
bazr

Hi Soyeb.
Good to to see you back. I had two nests in the garden: Blue Tits brought 8/9 young off, and Robins hatched out 5 young which fell foul of the wet, cold early summer, and died. Apart from that it's been fairly quiet.

All the best.
Baz.

Spike Milligan

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th August 2007, 19:48   #6
bill moss

Hi Soyeb,

The only nesters this year were Blue Tit (failed), Dunnock, Robin, Wood Pigeon & Collared Dove (total 5), but we've had 15 other species of youngsters, making 20 in all (Blue Tits from elsewhere).

And for some reason, for the first time for years, that DOESN'T include Magpie.

There are still one Blackbird and one Song Thrush gathering food but neither are nesting in the garden.

Bill.
Old Monday 6th August 2007, 20:02   #7
Wendy Morris

Hi Soyeb,

Good to see you back again.

The only birds that have nested with me this year are House Martins. I have nests on two gable ends, one of which is directly over the back door! Both have produced one lot of youngsters and I think that the ones over the back door are sitting again.

There are nests of Starling, Sparrow, Blackbird and Song Thrush in neighbouring gardens, and I've also had young Goldies, Blue Tits and Dunnocks, so I guess that they are not too far away either.

At the moment the garden is very quiet, but no doubt they will all come flooding back before too long.

Time spent on things that make you happy is never wasted.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th August 2007, 23:34   #8
Dizzy

Welcome back Soyeb

Didnt have anything nesting in my garden, but close by in the neighbours. I've had juvenile Blackbirds, Thrushes, Dunnocks, Sparrows, Robin, Starlings, Greenfinch, Blue, great and coal tits, with my first sighting of juvenile Chaffinch just yesterday. The only one missing from my list of regular garden visitors are the goldfinches..dont know where they've disappeared to at all. All in all, I'm well pleased with what I've seen so far this year.

Best Wishes
Old Tuesday 7th August 2007, 02:21   #9
Chickadeedeedee

Hi Soyeb and welcome back to the forum.

Who nested here?

American Robins (three nests) with approx. 8 chickies fledging.
Ruby-throated Hummers (three nests) have counted 4 juveniles so far.
Cardinals (two nests) but have seen 9 fledglings and juveniles. Must have nests in other gardens near us.

House Wrens (three nests) with at least 8 fledglings.
Carolina Wrens (5 nests) with a bazillion fledglings.
Black-capped Chickadee (one knwon nest) with 3 fledglings.
Nuthatch (one known nest) two fledglings/juveniles seen.

Downy Woodpecker (one nest) two fledglings.
Mourning Doves (two known nests) 4 fledglings.
Common Grackles (three known nests) have counted 35 fledglings/juveniles at one time. Must have had friends come over.
Chipping Sparrow (one known nest) three fledglings.

Vesper's Sparrow (one nest) two fledglings.
Chimney Swifts (at least two nests) have met or seen five fledglings. Seen many more adults.
White-crowned Sparrow (one nest) one fledgling.
Starling (two known nests) more fledglings come to visit than I can count.

House Sparrows (at least eight nestings) many chubby fledglings and juveniles.
Red Finch (one known nest) 5 juveniles.
House Finch (one known nest) 3 fledglings.

Orioles (one nest at present).
American Goldfinch (two nests at present).

I think that's it. Hope I didn't forget someone and their family.

Lydia

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th August 2007, 09:48   #10
Soyeb
"Im the Boogeyman and im coming to getcha"

wow guys you lot had lots of differrent birds in your garden. For some reson this spring and summer I have not seen a bluetit I saw a pair of bluetits in my buddliea bush once in april.

Liverpool fc the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be.
Old Tuesday 7th August 2007, 13:03   #11
Sue Wright

Hi Soyeb and welcome back.

You surely haven't been doing a scrap of Birding if you haven't seen ONE Blue Tit! The way folk speak of them it's been a great year for them.

We've had Dunnock and Robin nest in the hedge, Blackies in the Honeysuckle and Blue Tits in one of our boxes. Spawks have nested in trees in the field and Spadgers in the roof. Up in the field yesterday we watched a family of newly fledged Wrens and that was a terrific moment.

A good year, given the weather.

Sue.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th August 2007, 18:08   #12
Pam_m

Welcome back Soyeb ,

Sounds as though you won't have a shortage of House Sparrows in your street Soyeb and good news it is too! Should boost their population somewhat!

I have had 2 Blue Tit boxes that were deserted so not so good there! Robins nested in the Ivy and raised a couple of young ones, I spotted them as soon as they fledged and it was something really special to see them!

I have had fledglings of Robin, Dunnock (plenty), House Sparrow, Starling, Blackbird, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Blue and Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Woodpigeon, Magpie and Crow and I believe it was a juvenile Sparrowhawk in the garden last week perched on top of the greenhouse....definately a Sparrowhawk and I really couldn't see an adult leaving itself so exposed, could you?

Enjoy the remainder of the summer

'Flying High' My Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th August 2007, 18:45   #13
BazR
bazr

Hi Lydia.
What do have, 10 acres? LOL!! That's some population explosion you've got going on. If you were feeding them all, you'd be eaten out of house-and-home by now.

All the best.
Baz.

Spike Milligan

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th August 2007, 19:17   #14
Chickadeedeedee

Hi Baz.

No 10 acres here. I doubt it is an acre. The back yard is 150 ft. x 75 ft. and the front is about 100 ft. x 75 ft. and the home is in the middle. The property is *HEAVILY* planted with things that are attractive to birds like the Silk Trees are the favourite food source for our Hummers. Dead limbs are not necessarily trimmed out so we will have the cavity nesters like Chickadees and Nuthatch and Woodpeckers. (Also we are basically lazy!)

There are at least 20 nest boxes everywhere and multiple water sources above and at ground level plus a wildlife pond. We have nine feeding areas with a variety of seed and nut mixes plus suet and mealworms to try to please everyone.

If we did stop spending money to feed the birds and squirrels I am sure we would have a bank account. LOL!

Lydia

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: