Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Robins nesting in kettle

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 12th April 2005, 21:20   #1
wildliferon

Robins nesting in kettle

Haveing made nestboxes for years I never have much success with robin boxes.This year I put a old kettle in the hedge in my back garden and they have built a nest in it.No eggs yet but hopefully soon.
Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 19:44   #2
david2004

Well done wildliferon! I put out an Open-Fronted nestbox, which has been ignored!

Last edited by tp20uk : Monday 18th April 2005 at 19:26.
Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 22:52   #3
vinnielo

That's fab.
I, too, have put tubs into the hedge.
Don't think I've had any birds nesting, though.
Old Thursday 14th April 2005, 09:38   #4
dampflippers

Is the kettle one with a big lid in the middle or a wide spout (whistling kettle type?)
Years ago I put a whistling kettle in my overgrown hawthorns. I don't think it's ever been used.
Old Thursday 14th April 2005, 20:20   #5
wildliferon

The kettle I use is the one with a lid in the middle.I bought it from a boot sale.I am now on the look out for more kettles.
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 10:00   #6
edrick owl
edrick owl - a real twit

Hi wildliferon

That's a damn good idea - so simple, and in thinking, it's one that many people will have grown up with - Robins nesting in the oddest of places! Brilliant.

I too have put up an open fronted box for them, and in this second year, they have started to use it. Friday though the bloke next door decided to up-root his 15ft high well-established conifers! My Robins are in the far back corner of my garden, facing his conifers, aptly up-rooted by an all day used big mechanical digger. Kept an eye out for them over the weekend, and although they are still ioccassionally in the garden area, they have been nowhere near the box since!

Hopefully though, Sunday afternoon, I saw a pair of House Sparrows take a good long look at this ready built nest. Who knows?

Regards,
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 10:47   #7
pauco
Старлинг фан

Thats good news, fingers crossed for your first clutch off eggs. We have had a open front box used for the last 2 years.

Paul.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th April 2005, 19:13   #8
tracy

Hi,could you give me an idea of how/where you position your nestbox as mine is being totaly ignored by our robins and i am not sure i have put it in the right place!!Thanks
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 20:18   #9
wildliferon

The robins in the kettle today laid their first egg.No sign of the robins but they wont be far away.Tomorrow I will try and take photo and post it here for you to see.
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 20:29   #10
alcedo.atthis

"This year I put a old kettle in the hedge in my back garden and they have built a nest in it."

Don't put on the gas!!

Regards

Malky
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 20:36   #11
David FG
The Big Dipper

I have, over more years than I care to remember, provided nest boxes of various sorts, most of which have been ignored. I have had birds make nests NEXT to my boxes (how hurtful is that?)
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 22:05   #12
wildliferon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy
Hi,could you give me an idea of how/where you position your nestbox as mine is being totaly ignored by our robins and i am not sure i have put it in the right place!!Thanks
All I have done is to push the kettle into a hedge which is thick with ivy. I have aranged the ivy around the kettle.The spout of the kettle is pointing downward.I will try and get a photo on here tommorrow
Old Monday 18th April 2005, 22:13   #13
Pertinax

Quote:
I have, over more years than I care to remember, provided nest boxes of various sorts, most of which have been ignored. I have had birds make nests NEXT to my boxes (how hurtful is that?)
The most important bit is trying to help them, If they don't take up the offer then I'll be be happy for them it must mean their not doing to badly.
Old Tuesday 19th April 2005, 11:07   #14
edrick owl
edrick owl - a real twit

Hi Tracey

Not sure if you wanted details of my open fronted nest box or not, but if anyone does, then here goes.

It's just a plain rectangular shaped box, as in the RSPB and BTO type design, made from 6mm outdoor plywood, with a slightly forward sloping roof. It is attached to green plastic coated garden standard "chicken wire", which is wrapped round and fastened to an un-used old fashioned concrete washing line post.

The box is around 5ft 6ins off the ground, facing east, and is surrounded by I think Russian Ivy (sorry, I'm no gardener) which is bare in winter, and only now just really starting to show new leaf growth.

Approx 3ft from the front of the box is a 6ft high mixed hedge of predimonantly privet, but also containing holly, beech, and box privet(?). This hedge seems to be a good thing for the birds. They pop into it after gathering material etc, sit in the hedge for we few seconds, then dive straight into the box. I was hoping that it would be good for fledgelings too - straight out of the box with a short 3ft maiden flight, and straight into cover.

Ah well, I can live in hope.

Hope this if some use to you.

Regards,
Old Tuesday 19th April 2005, 11:17   #15
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2019

*Fingers crossed* for you

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th April 2005, 17:19   #16
wildliferon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy
Here is a picture of a robins nest in a kettle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kettle.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	19616  
Old Tuesday 19th April 2005, 18:25   #17
Marmot

Great news, it is strange seeing this as I was just reading a book today that recommended putting a teapot out for Robins to nest in.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th April 2005, 14:59   #18
romancitizen

Years ago there was a house in Oldfield Park in Bath with a dead tree in the garden. The owner hung a large variety of kettles in it as a joke (it certainly got his neighbours wound up). He had quite a few birds nesting by the end of the summer, including robins and, of course, Blue Tits.

Blue Tits will nest anywhere: last summer a pair nested in the box which visitors to our office are supposed to stub their cigarettes out on !
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN.

Jem Casey, poet of the pick.

Last edited by romancitizen : Monday 25th April 2005 at 15:20.
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 02:58   #19
BlueJaybob

I have also put up a robin nesting shelf wich has been ignored two but I have goten an Idea wich will maybe work. Put your nest boxes in deep cover or take fake plastic plants and cover your boxes with them or shelfs. I think this might work
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 14:36   #20
dylan

In case any of you missed this photo taken by Nigel Blake last year......

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...hp/photo/27381

A Robin feeding a Cuckoo in a teapot! One of my favourite photos ever!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: