Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

So upset - Tree Swallow seems to have taken off

Old Friday 21st June 2019, 23:43   #1
friedela

So upset - Tree Swallow seems to have taken off

We have had a tree swallow build a nest in one of our boxes, this is the first time I have ever had a bird nest in our backyard and I have loved watching her every morning. She had laid 5 eggs and I've been watching her come in and out of the nest then start to remain in her box for longer periods of time. Every once in a while I will peek in and she'll be sitting on her eggs, I try not to do this too often because I don't want to scare her. But the last week here has been cold and rainy. The dad is no longer coming to check on her, I haven't seen him in probably 3 days now.. but my concern is that the mom is also gone.. I haven't seen her all day and when I opened the box one of her eggs was cracked open with part of it missing. I can't find the other part of the shell anywhere in her nest nor on the ground so I wonder if a predator got in? I know there is nothing I can do, but her other eggs are still in there and I am heartbroken that she seems to be gone :( Does anyone have any advice or insight to offer?
Old Saturday 22nd June 2019, 01:37   #2
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

Cold and rainy weather is hard on insectivores. It's possible that the adults were having trouble finding enough to eat while still incubating their eggs. It seems cruel, but they are better off abandoning the nest and surviving to try another time. If the parents were to die trying to hatch their eggs, not only would the eggs not hatch, but the parents wouldn't be around to raise another brood, either later this year, or maybe next year.

Is is also possible that they were driven from the nest by another bird species, such as House Sparrows.

Welcome to Birdforum, hopefully your experiences will be more pleasant in the future.
Latest lifer: #373 Barrow's Goldeneye
Latest Pennsylvania lifer: #340 Western Meadowlark
Latest Lancaster County lifer: #301 Henslow's Sparrow
Use eBird to record your bird sightings.
Old Saturday 22nd June 2019, 02:34   #3
friedela

Thank you for your response. What should I do? Should I wait a while longer and then remove the nest and eggs? Is there a chance that another bird may lay more eggs?
Old Saturday 22nd June 2019, 05:33   #4
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

Hi friedela and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

No, leave the box alone. If they want to re-use the box they will clear it out themselves. And please, once they start nesting in a box, don't ever look in it. Human disturbance can be one of the reasons for birds abandoning their nest. If you want to follow what's happening in a box, it's safest to have a nest camera installed, but it has to be put in before the birds start to use it.

However, Jmepler could well be right that it's the lack of insects if you have a cold spell (has happened here too).

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie
2007 - 61

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 22nd June 2019, 14:04   #5
friedela

Well I woke up this morning and immediately rushed to the window to see if I could see any activity and there was mamma poking her head out! She she's back! I'm so relieved!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: