• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elephant Hawk moth. (2 Viewers)

What a wonderful thread............

I found one of these catapillars in my garden a couple of years ago, had no idea what it was at the time, but identified it after searching on the web. I was too scared to even touch it as it was so large, it never occured to me to try and keep it until became a moth. (I did take some pictures of it alongside a ruler though!)

Congratulations and I hope you remember to post some of your pictures.

jec

jox said:
What a moment! our elephant hawk moth very easily crawled onto my hand (I can't believe I did it, but so glad that I did)and is now on the fence in our garden. It has been well worth the long wait as it is a truly beautiful moth. I can't wait to get the photo's developed.

Thanks for all your advice, it was invaluable.

Jo

p.s. I'm mummy, not daddy!

Hello Jo,

Humble apologies, but your name didn't indicate or hint at your gender.

It's a fantastic experience having beautiful creatures like that in your hand, I agree entirely

I bet you do it again and again now you've been successful.

Harry

I can't wait to repeat the experience and in august I will be searching my garden for another of these caterpillars.

Just out of curiosity what came first the caterpillar or the moth? i.e. which one does the mating/reproducing.

Jo

jox said:
I can't wait to repeat the experience and in august I will be searching my garden for another of these caterpillars.

Just out of curiosity what came first the caterpillar or the moth? i.e. which one does the mating/reproducing.

Jo

Hello jo,

The adult female moth having mated, lays eggs or ova, these hatch into caterpillers or larva, these in turn, after munching a lot of salad, change into a chrysalis or pupa which eventually (as you well know) produces a moth.

However, if you want to know which came first, the chicken or the egg, go to the birding section, and ask them. lol.

By the way, I had an Elephant Hawkmoth in my moth trap last night, so yours should find a mate quite easily.

Harry

Hi all

I too stumbled across an Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar about September last year and thanks to every ones handy tips on the Forum have kept it safely over winter and am now eagerly waiting with the rest of the family for it to hatch!! The kids seem very excited about this (start 'em young), so I am also thinking of setting up a little camera in a nest box...I've seen various bits and bobs for sale on ebay, but has anyone got any advice how best to go about doing this??

Becky

Becky L said:
Hi all

I too stumbled across an Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar about September last year and thanks to every ones handy tips on the Forum have kept it safely over winter and am now eagerly waiting with the rest of the family for it to hatch!! The kids seem very excited about this (start 'em young), so I am also thinking of setting up a little camera in a nest box...I've seen various bits and bobs for sale on ebay, but has anyone got any advice how best to go about doing this??

Becky

Becky,
Get a shoebox or similar sized cardboard box and heavily roughen (scrape) the inside of the side walls. place a layer of dry peat on the bottom about 1" deep and place the pupa on the top. Cover the open box top with a piece of black netting (available from most drapers shops, securing it in place with a laege elastic band.

Once a week give it a light misting with an indoor plant spray gun filled with cold water. One spray will be enough, don't drown it. This will provide the moisture that the pupae would normally get outside.

Check it daily, especially in the evening, when most of these moths emerge. They need a rough surface to cling to whilst expanding their wings, hence the need to scrape the inside of the box. Once it has emerged, do not disturb it for at least two hours, as it needs time to expand its wings and for them to harden.

Once it starts fluttering about or after dark, remove the netting and place the box outside, out of the reach of cats, and it will fly off when it is ready.

If it's raining that evening still put it outside, but somewhere where it is sheltered from the rain. If you try keeping it overnight in order to photograph it the next day, the chances are it will batter itself to bits in it's attempt to escape.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back