• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Zeiss Diascope 85FL (1 Viewer)

Perhaps Iporali the time has come with the new Kowa's but don't forget a new Leica 82 is on the way and nobody has any detail on that or has tried it out, so who knows you might get what you wish for.

If the prices shown here (http://www.optics4birding.com/O4Blog/O4Blog.html) are correct the new 88mm Prominars will be the most expensive birding scopes on the market with a street price of $2100 for the body and $540 for the zoom eyepiece. The 20X FOV given (129' or about 50 degrees AFOV) does not agree with the Kowa brochure reproduced on another thread which was 44 degrees AFOV. I think it's too bad they didn't make the zoom range 30X-90X which would be more appropriate for an 88mm aperture scope.

Are those prices the RRP or mail order offerings though and after a year they may well drop. Prices between our two countries are also heavily enslaved to currency rates to countries of manufacture.

At the moment $2100 would equate to £1166. I see a trip will be required to Singapore!!

PS Just in the interest of balance, Less than a year on from the posts and Salty had sold his Zeiss gear - he had his Leica 77 longer 8-P

Not sure if that proves anything lol

I know a birder who sent in his Zeiss scope for repairs 8 weeks ago and is still waiting for Zeiss to return the scope. My impression is that Zeiss does not have the ability to repair optics in the US and repair work has to be done in Germany. I am currently trying to figure out which scope to get Swarovski or Zeiss. I have not even totally made up my mind on whether or not to get the 85/80 or the 65 version but I do feel that repair service and turn around time are important. On the otherhand Zeiss does offer the transferrable warranty and they are considerably less expensive the Swarovskis.

leightern said:
I know a birder who sent in his Zeiss scope for repairs 8 weeks ago and is still waiting for Zeiss to return the scope. My impression is that Zeiss does not have the ability to repair optics in the US and repair work has to be done in Germany. I am currently trying to figure out which scope to get Swarovski or Zeiss. I have not even totally made up my mind on whether or not to get the 85/80 or the 65 version but I do feel that repair service and turn around time are important. On the otherhand Zeiss does offer the transferrable warranty and they are considerably less expensive the Swarovskis.
And if you are going to buy a zoom eyepiece, nothing comes close in terms of field of view...

Have you phoned Zeiss to ask if what you think is the case? It might be that certain jobs can be dealt with locally, but not others.

All Zeiss warranty or out-of-warranty repairs for Canada and the US are done in Wetzlar, Germany. Based on direct information in two examples, it takes 3 to 5 months for a repair to be completed.

Some birders posting to BirdForum are checking out sports optics for mechanical and optical manufacturing or assembly defects before the return period of the retailer has expired.

Scampo, I share your positive opinion of the T* FL scopes.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back