Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blue tit Great tit Nesting Distance

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 14th March 2004, 05:54   #1
nobby

Question Blue tit Great tit Nesting Distance

Does anyone know how close Blue tits/Great tits will nest to the same species?

My garden is around 40ftx150ft and I have 4 nestboxes in various places around the garden all with 30mm entrance holes. The garden either side of mine do not have nestboxes.
I only ever have one pair of Blue tits and one pair of Great tits nesting per season.

It would be interesting to know the greatest number of the same species seen nesting in one area.
Brett
Old Wednesday 30th March 2005, 21:04   #2
smarting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby

My garden is around 40ftx150ft and I have 4 nestboxes in various places around the garden all with 30mm entrance holes. The garden either side of mine do not have nestboxes.
I only ever have one pair of Blue tits and one pair of Great tits nesting per season.

It would be interesting to know the greatest number of the same species seen nesting in one area.
Brett
I've no info. on how close the same species will nest BUT I've just put up a new nestbox 7 metres away from one erected 5 years ago. The old one is attracting blue tits a plenty but nothing observed at the new ....yet. I'll let you know of the progress (if any).
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 17:19   #3
Kiscokid

I also have 2 in the garden and one is looking like it might get used this year. They seem to be attracted to the one which is surrounded by foliage as opposed to the other which has a more clear entry.
Old Friday 1st April 2005, 07:44   #4
Corax67

Hi Brett,

The following piece of advice is taken from the RSPB site on wildlife gardens:

"Two boxes of the same kind may both be occupied if they are at the edge of adjoining territories and if there is plenty of natural food. Tits can, however, be very aggressive and seldom nest at densities greater than two or three pairs per acre. If you put up different boxes, you can attract several species."

There are also plans for making nestboxes with suggested hole sizes, etc - Hope this goes some way to answering your question.
Old Friday 1st April 2005, 07:52   #5
Rhion

Last year I put up two nest boxes side by side, actually touching each other, in the hope of attracting the local House Sparrows. In fact they were both occupied by Blue Tits, and both fledged their broods, apparently without any serious friction.

We have a large tit population and a shortage of nest holes (one box I put up two years ago had a Blue Tit in it before I even had time to put the hammer down), which may account for it.
Old Tuesday 5th April 2005, 10:10   #6
KnockerNorton

You probably had a polygamous male, Rhion. It's very unlikely that you'd have 2 males using adjoining boxes. One male and 2 females is more likely.
Old Tuesday 5th April 2005, 11:22   #7
david2004

It isn't unheard of Offord. My Blue Tit nesting story is a very confusing one. See my thread - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=30752.
Old Tuesday 12th April 2005, 15:19   #8
N.Grant
Riverside

Nest Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby

Brett
Hi Brett, I have a Sparrow Terrace three enter holes of 32mm, Blue tits are building in all three, you can't get any closer than that, I must admit I was very surprised
Nev
Old Tuesday 12th April 2005, 20:22   #9
david2004

Hi Nev. Very interesting. I have a thread about my Blue Tits and the possibility that more than one pair are nesting next to each other in a House Sparrow Terrace!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: