• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Lady migration (1 Viewer)

After seeing hundreds and hundreds on Tuesday and none yesterday as it rained all day, I saw a dozen or so today here in Sussex.

Since my last post on Tuesday 26th May, the numbers have picked up again today at Nagshead RSPB Reserve with the numbers in the region of those on Monday 25th May. Although I did not visit Symonds Yat area, there were numbers passing my shed in Longhope and at a friends house near Coleford at 2000 this evening.

Interestingly there has just been the odd one in the area of my garden in Derbyshire till 6pm tonight when a steady stream started to go through the garden, all following the same track through the garden, over the hedges and heading steadily north. Fascinating to see....

Now I remember those Tiger Moths at Spurn with the GSPCuckoo, they just carpeted the floor!

Cheers

I saw at least 50 plus yesterday when I was out and about. They just kept coming passed one after the other. Looked like they were on a mission as they never perched on anything just kept on flying.

This morning in the garden (Dersingham, Norfolk) at least 8 Painted Ladies feeding frantically but all fresh ones - not the faded specimens of last week.

With the return of warm weather the painted lady migration has restarted. A slow trickle this morning increased to a steady flow mid afternoon and after 5.00 pm many settled down to feed and bask. An average of 4 per min at Swanton Novers , Norfolk between 2 and 4 pm Probably about 750 seen all day. Change in direction though with most heading north rather than the west movement on Sunday.

Forty every 5minutes heading basically west...watching a hundred yard stretch of field...persistent 'wave' over 30minute period....3pm...to 3.30pm....[by 4pm numbers had dropped]....

Only 43 in half an hours counting for me this afternoon in my inland Sussex garden. Direction of travel has shifted slightly from N to N/NW. A friend has reported small numbers coming in on Brighton Beach today.

Since my last post on Tuesday 26th May, the numbers have picked up again today at Nagshead RSPB Reserve with the numbers in the region of those on Monday 25th May. Although I did not visit Symonds Yat area, there were numbers passing my shed in Longhope and at a friends house near Coleford at 2000 this evening.

More of the same today although slightly less in numbers.

The Painted Ladies have arrieved in Norway now! Yesterday I had 4 in the garden, but today they were everywhere! Both the garden and one of our fields are full of dandelions, and they were all busy on them. Minimum 100! Plenty of thistles around too, so expect they will stay a while |=)|

Eli

PL's went mad in my garden yesterday afternoon with c.145 per hour passing through. Checked my local patch this morning, I saw my 1st of the day at 0500 hrs!, and, after counting them 3 times to make sure, came up with 1000 plus in 4 acres.
Chris

There were quite a few painted lady butterflies in the Isle of Man today. The first that I saw were 6+ near the Calf Sound in the far SW this morning. late this afternoon I saw 13 along a path that rises into the hills 3-4 km S of my home in Peel, which is about half way up the W coast. When I returned home from that walk I saw another 2 on valerian flowers just up the road.

Allen

had 6 in a 9ft patch of Bluebells this afternoon at Stithians Reservoir. A couple of them were looking very pale and worn...

Saw 18 altogether in a moderate to strong wind in around an hour. Hopefully more tomorow

I was in north Gloucestershire this morning (as opposed to my previous few posts which have been in west of the county) and the said Ladies were passing through at about 1 every two minutes again. This is a remarkable invasion both in sheer numbers and duration.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back