• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusually warm weather and incubating Great Tit (1 Viewer)

DavidJJones

Garden Bird & Bug Watcher
Has anyone else noticed differences in behaviour of birds in nestboxes over these last couple of days with daytime temperatures being much higher than the April average?

In my box, the female GT frequently got up off the eggs to spend a minute or so standing in a corner with her head pointing up, holding her beak wide open, especially in the afternoon when the air temperature in the shade reached 23C. The box was completely in the shade from about 10.15am(after I added a plywood sheet above it).

I've given more details, and pictures in the nestbox diary on my website.

What a coincidence, I've just come across another thread you posted about the robin webcam from a couple of weeks ago! I shall be taking a look to see how things are getting on in your "bit of the planet"

helenol said:
What a coincidence, I've just come across another thread you posted about the robin webcam from a couple of weeks ago! I shall be taking a look to see how things are getting on in your "bit of the planet"

Hello Helen,

Methinks that there has been a crossed wire somewhere - my Robin posting was from April 2003! This year 'my' Robins are nesting away from the public eye!

DavidJJones said:
Has anyone else noticed differences in behaviour of birds in nestboxes over these last couple of days with daytime temperatures being much higher than the April average?

In my box, the female GT frequently got up off the eggs to spend a minute or so standing in a corner with her head pointing up, holding her beak wide open, especially in the afternoon when the air temperature in the shade reached 23C. The box was completely in the shade from about 10.15am(after I added a plywood sheet above it).

I've given more details, and pictures in the nestbox diary on my website.
Hi David
I have not noticed this behaviour in my boxes ( 1 blue tit & 1 Gt tit) both of which are mounted on trees. One faces North the other East and are shaded by the tree canopy.

I have had a quick look on your site - do you think the heat rising from the face of your shed could cause the nest box to heat up?

Brett

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/nest_box.htm

David,
Your missing the / at the end of your web address so can't access off your threads.Good site though,checked it out anyway.
Mark

nobby said:
Hi David
I have not noticed this behaviour in my boxes ( 1 blue tit & 1 Gt tit) both of which are mounted on trees. One faces North the other East and are shaded by the tree canopy.

I have had a quick look on your site - do you think the heat rising from the face of your shed could cause the nest box to heat up?

Brett

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/nest_box.htm

Thanks for the response Brett. You may be correct, although the Blue Tits haven't behaved like this in the past. I moved the box last year, but it still faces East, and in addition to the plywood I added over the roof last week, there are some tall bamboo plants on the south side that shade the front and side of the box from about 10.30am onwards, so there shouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't look as though the GT is suffering too badly, if heat is the problem - yesterday she hardly left the box in the afternoon. I've not been able to watch her much today, but she seemed to be carrying on as normal, and settled in for the night very early.

After nesting is over I'll install a thermometer in the box to monitor temperatures through the day, ready for next Spring.

Mark Derren said:
David,
Your missing the / at the end of your web address so can't access off your threads.Good site though,checked it out anyway.
Mark

Thanks Mark,

Glad you like the website - and hopefully my web address will work this time!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back