• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths of August 2010 (1 Viewer)

Inspired by Kalle's haul the night before....I managed to beat him last night! where he scored 378 on 54species, with Dunbar at 56!....I got him on 21 of 9 species with wait for it.......'drum roll'....10 Dunbars!..50% beats 15% every time o:) back to highlights..Black Arches, Shell (NFY), Sep.Thorn plus 'old
blue eyes'.

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3331.jpg
    IMG_3331.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 68
The weather was very unstable last night, so I didn't trap, but still a new for the year. One of my Vapourer's hatched out of it's pupa during the night, a female. Still bad weather but I saw one male around the cage I put her in a few hours ago.

Attachments

• Vapourer.JPG
    Vapourer.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
A good catch last night with 70 species.

Round-winged Muslin new for the garden. |=)|

Shuttle-shaped Dart - highest number (28)

Nerine

The rain here seemed to ruin what could have been a good catch. Anyway, a few nice species to compensate:

Scalloped Hook-tip (pic)
Oak Hook-tip (pic)
Grey Dagger
Setaceous Hebrew Character
Yellow-barred Brindle
Tree Lichen Beauty
Poplar Hawkmoth
Copper Underwing

25 species. The most abundant was Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing with 21.

Attachments

• Scalloped Hook-tip 20100809 (1).JPG
    Scalloped Hook-tip 20100809 (1).JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Scalloped Hook-tip 20100809 (2).JPG
    Scalloped Hook-tip 20100809 (2).JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Oak Hook-tip 20100809.JPG
    Oak Hook-tip 20100809.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 49
The Low that came over during the night/morning ensured a 'record' low at the trap!...17moths of 10 species with the silver lining.....in the shape of Square-spot Rustic and Turnip both (NFY) with Oak Scallop and TLB coming fast up the rear as the other notables. :-C

cheers

A pretty ordinary catch last night with the best being my first Old Lady of the year. For a change, this one looks fresh - most of those I catch are pretty worn or have bird damage.

Attachments

• Old Lady.jpg
    Old Lady.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 52
Numbers were way down last night not surprising really as the temp was down to 8 deg celcius with 12mph NW winds but at least it was dry overnight so i thought i would give it a try as the rest of the week looks wet n windy.still got some nice moths though!
Antler-8
Dark Arches-7
Smoky Wainscot-5
White-line Dart-5
Snout-5
Lesser Broad B Y U-4
Large Yellow Underwing-3
Six-striped Rustic-3
Common Rustic agg-3
Beautiful golden y-3
Burnished Brass-3
Dotted Clay-2
Square-spot Rustic-2
Flounced Rustic-2
Anomalous-2 (pic)
Rosy Rustic-2 NFM (pic)
July Highflyer-1
Dark Marbled Carpet-1
Flame Carpet-1
Pinion -streaked Snout-1
True lover`s Knot-1
Bright-line Brown-eye-1
also NFM is 2-Minor Shoulder-Knot (thanks to Harri in the id thread)

Attachments

• 10th aug 001.jpg
    10th aug 001.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 10th aug 002.JPG
    10th aug 002.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 10th aug 004.JPG
    10th aug 004.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
The attached beast hatched out of a pupa today! Will try to take some better photos later, it's more active than a Large Yellow Underwing!

Attachments

• Clifden Nonpareil.JPG
    Clifden Nonpareil.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 67
One more from Devon

Just going through my Devon moth photos and found this Synaphe punctalis which is a lifer for me.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• Synaphe punctalis.jpg
    Synaphe punctalis.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 69
73 moths of 21 species. Not the best. I have noticed a big decline in the number of species since returning from Dorset/Somerset.
Although added to my life list a few weeks back at Durlston Country Park, I had a nice Jersey Tiger in the trap this morning.
Also of interest:
Pale Prominent
Scalloped Hook-tip
Poplar Hawkmoth
Scarce Footman
Straw Underwing
Knot Grass
Lime-speck Pug
Six-striped Rustic

The most numerous was Vine's Rustic (20).
My macro life list is now 231. Year list 200.
Garden list is 199. Garden year list is 172.

Attachments

• Jersey Tiger 20100811.JPG
    Jersey Tiger 20100811.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 60
Last night; 57 moths of 22 Macro species at 5.05am

The most interesting ones begin with the letter 'p' ;

Pale Prominent 2
Poplar Hawkmoth 1
Peach Blossom 1 NFY
Pebble Prominent 1 NFY

with Drinker 1, Herald 1, an unidentified Pug sp. and a Noctuid sp.

5 or so micro sps.

Only a couple of hours trapping last night. Had to turn the trap off at about 23:00 when it started raining. Just six moths:

3 Orange Swift
1 Scarce Silver-lines
1 Antler Moth
1 Lesser B-b YU

Also a few to the bathroom light, two Silver Y, a Purple Thorn and a Mother of Pearl.

A great night for shooting stars, with the lack of moon and (here at least) no cloud. But the only moths I saw were six-striped rustics on our buddleia.
Ken

Best night this month so far with 15 species:

Silver Y - 4
Lesser BB Yellow Underwing - 8
Dark Arches - 2
Lesser Yellow Underwing - 7
Large Yellow Underwing - 33
Willow Beauty - 2
Common Rustic agg. - 3
Garden Carpet - 1 (Lifer)
Flounced Rustic - 1 (New for Site)
Udea lutealis - 1
Scalloped Oak - 1
Canary-shouldered Thorn - 1
Yellow Shell - 1 (NFS)
Small Square-spot - 1 (NFS)

Habitat is broad woodland with gardens. Weather around 15 Degrees with moderate north-westerly. Site list now 25 species from 7 trap sessions.

I think the shooting stars must have had something to do with my rather small catch on Wed night, I had expected more with no moon!

For the first time I've managed to photo a female Four-spotted Footman showing all four spots - only ever photo-ed 3 spots in the past!
Small Phoenix was nfy.
A lovely female Oak Eggar,otherwise nothing special. Getting a lot of Dingy Footman this summer.

Nerine

Attachments

• Four-spotted Footman 11 Aug.jpg
    Four-spotted Footman 11 Aug.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 46
  • small phoenix 11 Aug.jpg
    small phoenix 11 Aug.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 51
But the shooting stars were spectacular!
I'm slowly building up my list... despite not trapping so often. I think that the lychnis larva I found on my one and only red campion brings my garden list up to 225 for the year - but with quite a few micros still to do.
I've never managed to catch a lychnis at light, even though I've seen them after dark, so I may try and rear this one just so that I can get a photo.
Ken

Attachments

• Lychnis ex11266 (800).JPG
    Lychnis ex11266 (800).JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 59
Best of last night were Maple and Lesser Swallow Prominents but overall numbers and diversity were low - 48 species and not too many individuals.

The Phoenix?

Hopefully this is my first Phoenix in August (and ever)...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• The Phoenix.jpg
    The Phoenix.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 76
Nice Phoenix Rob .

A better night for me with 41 species 180 moths ,another Anomalous, Pebble Hook-Tip, Minor shoulder Knot ,Purple bar and 3 NFM were Sallow, Crescent and Autumnal Rustic all pictured. looks like summer is over!

Attachments

• 14th aug 005.jpg
    14th aug 005.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 14th aug 002.jpg
    14th aug 002.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 14th aug 004.jpg
    14th aug 004.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 72
Good to see your still getting some nice moths though mate!

Last night was my first trapping sesh with my new bulb since my last one failed, and with only 30 or so moths and under 10 species - Rosy Rustic being the only NFY!, I'm a bit gutted to say the least!!......there's allways tonight though..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back