Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How many nestboxes?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 15th June 2004, 13:54   #1
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2019

How many nestboxes?

How many do you have? I have 3 one big one that my Grandpa made me and a nest packet one that I got a botanic garden and a lil wooden one that I got in a 1 shop Im not to fond on the pocket one because Ive noticed a few bird trying to pull the brown things out but then again Im sure the birds would love them. Lots of birds have been going up to them sencing them out so fingers crossed

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th June 2004, 21:05   #2
joser

Ive got 3 also. 2 ideally for blue tits and a robin box. I'm thinking of getting a sparrow box after watching 'Britain Goes Wild' as we have quite a few around our area. The robin box is yet to be used though.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th June 2004, 21:55   #3
John P
Usually on a different wavelength

Five, two blue tit size, two great tit size and one robin type box, three in use this spring and good broods from two of them,9 blue tits and 6 great tits (the other one in use is full of bees). The robin box has never been used and you have made me realise that I should probably re-position it. Several other birds(including robins) nesting in the garden but not in boxes.

I'm thinking of making an owl box as we used to get fairly regular visits at night from a Tawny owl (although not recently) but I'm not sure if I can get far enough up the tree to position the thing.
Old Wednesday 16th June 2004, 07:00   #4
John N

I've got 3 Euan. All tit boxes, but only one has been in use this year . I am going to get a sparrow terrace next. John.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th June 2004, 15:18   #5
goplaces
Bob D

I also have 3, 2 blue tit and 1 robin. 1 of the blue tit boxes was successfully used and I also had blue tits nesting in the eaves of the house, ( is this unusual ). I also had long tailed tits nesting in a hedge. As I have had blue tits, great tits, green finches, gold finches, blackbirds, great spotted woodpeckers starlings, dunnock bringing their young to the garden to feed I am certainly going to add more next year.
Old Friday 30th July 2004, 07:13   #6
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Too many boxes?

I don't think you can have too many boxes - more just means more choice, so better chance of having at least one occupied. I have a small garden surrounded by pine forest (in Lithuania), but have TWELVE boxes. I thought this was being optimistic, but in fact occupancy this year was:
2 pairs Pied Flycatchers
1 pair Redstart
1 pair Blue Tit
1 pair Great Tit (failed)
2 pairs of Starling

Not bad, there was a second pair of Blue Tits, but they were evicted by more aggressive Pied Flys! Last year, Swifts took over one box when the Starlings finished.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th July 2004, 12:14   #7
snowyowl

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada and Central Florida, USA
I have seven but only two got used this year. Two of them are for chickadees/Downy Woodpeckers and I think that I put them up too late in the Spring. I have three swallow boxes and normally get Tree Swallows in one and House Sparrows in one. For some reason this year the swallows rejected the box they have used in other years. The A. Kestrels used their box and raised three chicks.
I have a Martin house but it has never been used, but I only put it up on spec. because martins don't usually occur inthis area.
I plan to build new swallow boxes this Winter plus I'd like to build a lot more boxes of different sizes including an owl box. The problem is how to get large nest boxes high into suitable trees.
Old Friday 30th July 2004, 12:43   #8
Rhion

I've got nine, all of which were used.

4 GreatTit
4 Blue Tit
1 Nuthatch

I think they all fledged young. The tits have hada good year, with lots of young birds around. Last year was very poor.
Old Wednesday 18th August 2004, 07:57   #9
Kenny
Natural Magic

Nine here plus a bat box. Success stories this year: Multiple broods of Tree Sparrows plus Blue Tits & Starlings. All is quiet now and I suspect breeding has come to an end for this year. I plan to put up more boxes for next season and to perhaps cater for the Great Tit (32mm hole). Messy task of clearing up lies ahead.

Last edited by Kenny : Wednesday 18th August 2004 at 21:45.
Old Wednesday 18th August 2004, 07:59   #10
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Nine here plus a bat box. Success stories this year: Multiple broods of Tree Sparrows plus Blue Tits & Starlings. All is quiet now and I suspect breeding has come to an end for this year. I plan to put up more boxes for next season and to perhaps cater for the Great Tit (32mm hole). Messy task of clearing up lies ahead.
That's amazing - how big is your garden?
Old Wednesday 18th August 2004, 15:45   #11
Michael W
Mountain Chickadee

On our twenty-five acres we have about twenty-two, although the number changes often. Most are used by Western Bluebirds (about 6), Violet-green Swallows, Tree Swallows (1-2), Pygmy Nuthatches (about 6), White-breasted Nuthatches (1), sometimes Mountain or Black-capped Chickadees (not this year, though) and House Wren.

We also have a "bluebird trail" with about ten more boxes that extend down a couple roads around here. Most are used by Western Bluebirds, but Tree Swallows and House Wrens also use some. We always have trouble with House Sparrows, but it's not too bad.

Michael

My current home:
www.flickr.com/photos/nightjar
Old Wednesday 18th August 2004, 20:36   #12
Kenny
Natural Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Bigg
That's amazing - how big is your garden?
I have one and a half acres of garden Elizabeth and many Silver Birch trees for the nest boxes. You should have heard the chattering from these boxes this year, quite something.

Last edited by Kenny : Wednesday 18th August 2004 at 21:45.
Old Wednesday 18th August 2004, 21:08   #13
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
I have one and a half acres of garden Elizabeth and many Silver Birch trees for the nest boxes. You should have heard the chattering from these boxes this year, quite something.
Perhaps I've done quite well then, with my two in a garden of 6% of an acre!!! We've been watching one, then two bluetit boxes for 4 years now via miniature cameras in the boxes - all is revealed at www.biggonline.co.uk - sadly one of the boxes failed after the nest was completed this year.
Old Wednesday 18th August 2004, 21:38   #14
Kenny
Natural Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Bigg
Perhaps I've done quite well then, with my two in a garden of 6% of an acre!!! We've been watching one, then two bluetit boxes for 4 years now via miniature cameras in the boxes - all is revealed at www.biggonline.co.uk - sadly one of the boxes failed after the nest was completed this year.
Visited your site and looked at the spectacular photographs. I haven't progressed onto cameras within the boxes. I don't even climb the ladder to count them anymore, preffering to stay well away so as not to disturb them. Happy in the knowledge that it's all happening down the bottom of the garden.

Last edited by Kenny : Wednesday 18th August 2004 at 21:44.
Old Tuesday 12th October 2004, 14:53   #15
Andy V
absolutely quackers

Which way should I face a birdbox?
And how high off the ground?

I'm going to fix it to a telegraph pole in my garden as I dont have any trees (is quite a small garden). Not ideal, I know as there will be no 'cover' around it, but I dont have any choice. I have seen some very exposed boxes in use in the past so maybe there's hope.
Old Tuesday 12th October 2004, 20:56   #16
Christina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan Buchan
How many do you have? I have 3 one big one that my Grandpa made me and a nest packet one that I got a botanic garden and a lil wooden one that I got in a 1 shop Im not to fond on the pocket one because Ive noticed a few bird trying to pull the brown things out but then again Im sure the birds would love them. Lots of birds have been going up to them sencing them out so fingers crossed

I have seven boxes in my garden, four were used. 3 pairs of great tits and one pair of robins (letter box slit -instead of hole- in deep great tit box)

Tina
Old Tuesday 12th October 2004, 21:54   #17
Stuart

Not sure if everybody is aware, but the advise I got from a fellow birder a long time ago was not to worry about how you construct it, big or small box or hole, try and put them in groups of three.This was intended more for woods than gardens, because normally blue tits arrive first and take up residence, then great tit, leaving the third box for that special bird....
Im thinking nuthatch or maybe pied flycatcher

Ive tried this myself and it does work, think it groups of three!!

Stuart
Old Sunday 20th February 2005, 21:06   #18
dampflippers

Hi Stuart (or anyone else)
I am interested in the concept of putting them up in threes.
Are you saying that great tits and a blue tits will nest in close proximity? Don't they compete for territories?
The reason I ask is that I have just made a nest box cam, which is on a house wall. I had to postion it about 6 ft from wher I previously had a box (and have taken this one down). It's day 5 now, and no interest has been shown in the box at all. Today at 5 though I noticed great tits going in to another box with a big (40mm hole) that I had put up on a fence for sparrows or starlings.
Now I am wondering whether I stand any chance of getting inhabitants in my camera box.

Another thing- would it help if I attached twigs or clematis prunings around the box to give it some disguise?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: