• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope ED82 eyepiece (1 Viewer)

colhot

Hi

just ordered a new Nikon Fieldscope ED82. As it comes with no eyepiece what would be the best eyepiece to go for?

I wear glasses so good eye relief is the main requirement for me.

In fact if anyone has one for sale then I could be interested.

Thanks guys.

Colin

You're going to get answers ranging all over the place. I suggest you search for other threads related to this as there is plenty.

I *may* have an EP or two to sell. Where is Cambridge? England, Massachusetts, or somewhere else?

It depends on what you're looking for. If eye relief is the ultimate deciding factor then I don't think you can even consider a zoom eyepiece. That being the case, the fixed eyepieces are you best option.

I checked on the unmentionable auction site before this post and it looks as though there is a pretty good selection of EPs available from Japan, at least as it appears on the US site.

This might be the path of least resistance for you, I don't know for sure.

Any headway as to which EP(s) you're looking for?

If it matters to you, I like the 30xDS best

Hi

I think the 30X DS is the most favorable one to get.

At least when I put my EDII on Ebay I will get more then I need for the eye piece.

Thanks

Colin

I checked on the unmentionable auction site before this post and it looks as though there is a pretty good selection of EPs available from Japan, at least as it appears on the US site.

This might be the path of least resistance for you, I don't know for sure.

Any headway as to which EP(s) you're looking for?

If it matters to you, I like the 30xDS best

I have the FSIII 60 ED and have the 24x DS and the 40x DS. The 24 definitely has more wow factor but the 40 still beats the zoom as far as brightness and FOV

Well I bought the 30x DS and its shows how pictures can be misleading in adverts. The size of the eyepiece is massive. Still managed to hit the eyepiece with glasses on. Used it today for the first time in the foggy conditions and I felt disappointed with the results.

I convinced myself that it was the wrong buy and should have gone for the zoom. Anyway while at Titchwell and the fog lifted I was amazed on how clear things actually turned out. The eyepiece was brilliant and I think I am convinced that it was the right buy.

Now the next issue is do I get the digiscope adapter and buy a cheap Nikon camera or get the adapter for my Samsung Note 2 and fit that to the scope?

Hi

I think the 30X DS is the most favorable one to get.

At least when I put my EDII on Ebay I will get more then I need for the eye piece.

Thanks

Colin

Well I bought the 30x DS and its shows how pictures can be misleading in adverts. The size of the eyepiece is massive. Still managed to hit the eyepiece with glasses on. Used it today for the first time in the foggy conditions and I felt disappointed with the results.

I convinced myself that it was the wrong buy and should have gone for the zoom. Anyway while at Titchwell and the fog lifted I was amazed on how clear things actually turned out. The eyepiece was brilliant and I think I am convinced that it was the right buy.

Now the next issue is do I get the digiscope adapter and buy a cheap Nikon camera or get the adapter for my Samsung Note 2 and fit that to the scope?

Eyepieces get MUCH larger than the DS's. It's really not so large.

I suppose it would be one helluva EP to be able to see through fog! Relax, that EP is about as good as it gets.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back