• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angled vs Straight scopes (1 Viewer)

youngbart

Looking for answers.
Hey,

I am looking at buying my fist scope. I am interested in the Nikon Sky and Earth series 15-45x 60mm due to my limited budget as well I still need a tripod. I am a taller guy at 6'4" so the angled version of this scope appeals to me. I have found the straight scope with eyepiece included for $229 US at Digital Foto Club (http://www.digitalfotoclub.com). However I can only seem to find the 80mm angled scope with an eyepiece included (At Digital Foto as well as other online places). I priced out the angled body of the 60mm with a seperate eyepiece and its total came to $321 US. This would mean that the angled version of the Nikon Sky and Earth series 15-45x 60mm would cost me approximately $91 US more. Is this usually the case that the angled versions are more money?

Also I am from Ontario, Canada and I was wondering if anyone knows of any Canadian Optics shops that are good to deal with?
I would like to buy in house if possible to save on shipping etc.

Thanks any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bart

Also recommend angled - both for viewing birds in flight/up high and sharing scope with others of varied height! Barbara

BarbaraM said:
Also recommend angled - both for viewing birds in flight/up high and sharing scope with others of varied height! Barbara

Have you found that a angled scope is usually greater in price. In my situation I am looking at around $91 dollars?

Thanks

Check it out. Sometimes they have deals on one or the other. I think one can get used to either one. The angled one works better for stars, as they call it Earth And Sky.

Angled here too...

Having now had reasonable experience of both, there's nothing you can do with a straight that you can't with an angled (as far as I can think) and you get less neck-ache.

youngbart said:
Have you found that a angled scope is usually greater in price. In my situation I am looking at around $91 dollars?

Thanks

NO..for tall people an angled scope is a must. If in a hide without a tripod, just turn the darned thing on it's side.

I have birded the western world and the WP and would'nt have a straight scope given..and I mean that. If I was given one it would go to the charity shop.

ANGLED....John

john barclay said:
NO..for tall people an angled scope is a must. If in a hide without a tripod, just turn the darned thing on it's side.

I have birded the western world and the WP and would'nt have a straight scope given..and I mean that. If I was given one it would go to the charity shop.

ANGLED....John

As a tall guy you would find a straight scope useless...unless you had a 6'4" tripod ;)

youngbart said:

Thanks
Yes, the angled is usually more expensive, but it also has better resale value/it is easier to sell.

Ilkka

When I was shopping for a scope the angled was either the same price or higher and it seemed to be brand dependent. Haven't a clue why.

Jim

youngbart said:
Hey,

I am looking at buying my fist scope. I am interested in the Nikon Sky and Earth series 15-45x 60mm due to my limited budget as well I still need a tripod. I am a taller guy at 6'4" so the angled version of this scope appeals to me. I have found the straight scope with eyepiece included for $229 US at Digital Foto Club (http://www.digitalfotoclub.com). However I can only seem to find the 80mm angled scope with an eyepiece included (At Digital Foto as well as other online places). I priced out the angled body of the 60mm with a seperate eyepiece and its total came to $321 US. This would mean that the angled version of the Nikon Sky and Earth series 15-45x 60mm would cost me approximately $91 US more. Is this usually the case that the angled versions are more money?

Also I am from Ontario, Canada and I was wondering if anyone knows of any Canadian Optics shops that are good to deal with?
I would like to buy in house if possible to save on shipping etc.

Thanks any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bart
You might look at Pelee Wings. I've just ordered a scope from them and was impressed with the advice and the help.

http://www.peleewings.ca/

Bob

Hate to put a spanner in the works, but - - STRAIGHT - - scopes DO work for tall people.

I am 6'3'' and my cousin 6'5'' - we both own Leica APO 77's in the straight version and have been using them for several years without problems.

For comfort we use them with Manfrotto tripods (055's and 441's) and monopods (479-4) with 222 pistol grip heads which addd an extra 6" height.

Straight scopes also score highly if you do a lot of hide work.

Never experienced any difficulty following airborne birds or raptors (and would really like to know what charity shop John uses)

Best advice is to try both & decide from there

Good luck

Never experienced any difficulty following airborne birds or raptors (and would really like to know what charity shop John uses)

-----------------------------------------------​

Fair comment. In all my raptor visits; Israel, Egypt, Kenya, Greece, Europe, I see few people (in fact none that I can recall) using a straight scope. Surely that speaks volumes.

Charity shops are brill for classical CD's. A female friend of mine gets some of her clothes from Oxfam and recently asked me to guess the price of her beautiful top..."£75 I said"..."£1.50" she said ;) sadly she had forgotten to bring the used scopes and Ultravids along...women! ;)

John.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions and ideas. I have not been a member of birdforum for very long but I can clearly see that there are quality comments and suggestions returned when you post a question and this is encouraging. I have decided to keep researching my scope options for a little while hoping that soon I may be able to increase my budget to look at some of the better scopes.

Thanks again everyone.
Bart

I have to put in a vote for a straight scope. I like to get onto shorebirds quickly as they run about- it messes me up looking at the ground trying to follow birds in front of me. I guess you can get used to it but I think straight is quicker.

Kevin Mac said:
I have to put in a vote for a straight scope. I like to get onto shorebirds quickly as they run about- it messes me up looking at the ground trying to follow birds in front of me. I guess you can get used to it but I think straight is quicker.

Try looking at high flying raptors thru a staight scope....IMPOSSIBLE!

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back