• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please advise:How to evaluate 65mm Zeiss/w 23x (1 Viewer)

statestat

Please advise:
How do you star test with a 23x eye p. since I do not have 60x can I use a jewlers hand loupe at 3x to reach the 60x needed for the star test. Also at what distance should I be able to read the small numbers on a 1 dollar bill as mentioned elsewhere. Any info will be greatly appreciated, I just purchased a 65mm straight body and am waiting for the 23x eyepiece to arrive. Thanks

23x is just not enough magnification to see the diffraction pattern from a 65mm objective. 35-40X might be enough for evaluating defects like astigmatism and missalignment, but not aberrations. Unfortunately a loupe placed behind the eyepiece won't change the magnification at all. You need to place a complete telescope of some sort behind the eyepiece: a monocular or a barrel of a binocular, a finder scope or a rifle scope. Any of those will do but the final magnification could be so high (for instance an 8x telescope will boost the magnification to 184X) that the image will be very dim, soft and difficult to hold still.

Thanks for the quick response, I have an old bushnell spacemaster lowest mag is 20, and some rifle scopes lowest mag is 6. Since I could not wait for the 23x eye eyepeice to arrive I tried to hand hold the zoom eye piece from the spacemaster to the zeiss body and I could see enough to focus. If the magnification is not suffucent to star test any other suggestions to evalute the set-up. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back