• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watercolours (1 Viewer)

That's a superb Dipper painting, I like the colours on the bird and the movement in the water.
I have just made a complete F.U.B.A.R. of a w/colour of a Black-headed Gull I was doing. I just can't get the softness of feel and contours of the bird's mantle and wings right. It looks like a total dog's dinner.

I shall try and offer a bit of advice - first I have alot of dogs dinners that don,t get posted! Its down to perseverence and observation. I struggle to paint what I see in terms of tone. Obviously you need a likeness but look carefully for subtle changes in tone and try to record them and it will bring life and form. I like soft edges which means 'fiddling' to get the form. The less fiddling the better because the painting can get messy and muddy. I am fiddling too much because I dont paint birds and am learning all the time. It helps to love a subject - I think you try harder.

There's another little watercolour on its way . When I said I didn't know how to progress I meant I am not sure how I want to paint birds and how much of the other stuff I want to put in. Silly statement really the thing to do is just do it and see where it goes and what you like doing best - as Mouldy said direction should find you.
At the moment I'm going thr' some photos of little characters I've wanted to try and paint for a long time. I love stonechats because quite often they sit and pose for you for ages - a good subject to draw from life if it ever stops raining here.

That's great. I love the way you paint your subject and it's beautifully composed in the square frame.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back