• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's paintings (1 Viewer)

And here's a much quicker one - painted plein air during two lunch breaks in last week's summer weather, with the fauna added in the evening.

I'm genuinely interested in constructive criticism as I only started painting last year and am very much a raw beginner.

Thanks for your time

Mike

Attachments

• buzzards over Torlundy800.jpg
    buzzards over Torlundy800.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 80
Ooooh I like!!! LOTS!!! :t: And with one of my favourite birds too - I just adore treecreepers :king:

I just love the overwhelming size of the tree - it looks so big and strong and awesome the way trees do and the colour is fabulous!:t: If I saw this in an exhibition I'd buy it like a shot and worry about how to feed hubby later ;) 3:)

Great work Mike...and very inspiring too :king:

As Gill said about, awesome, the size thing is great...and the ein plein air is also great, They have my vote whatever others decide ....

Well if you only did start out last year it was about bl**dy time! You're doing great with the paint!

ps - love your signature - I think I want that on my tombstone!

Stunning completion to the treecreeper painting- this had really worked out brilliantly (I'm with Gill on this one!).
I'll stick with the Vod, many thanks.

I can't believe I've stayed quiet for so long and not commented on your wonderful landscapes Mike. I love the moutainscapes, particularly the thrust of the first one, it has a real feeling of rugged beauty.

Good call on the woodie/tree/creeper pic too. Tiny bird+big tree = Spot on!

Mike

Thanks Gill, Nick, Tim, Andrew, Christine and Mike, I appreciate the comments.

Gill - leave hubby to feed himself and get yourself to the Ben Nevis distillery in Fort William before the tree creeper gets snapped up! Exhibition ends 6th June.

Nick - I found the signature on a ceramic tile on the wall of a cafe in the Spanish Sierra Nevada and appropriated it for myself.

Tim - vodka reminds me too much of being a teenager.

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:
To crop or not to crop

Help needed on this one please. It's an acrylic, painted mostly with the palette knife, and was done after a recent trip to the Isle of Eigg. There are still some areas to strengthen, so any tips or suggestions would be most welcome. I would particularly welcome views on whether to crop or not - I'm not sure that I like the composition of the uncropped version but I'm swithering.

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• BF hoody crop 1.jpg
    BF hoody crop 1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 56
  • bf hoody.jpg
    bf hoody.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 57
cant help with the painting as I would call that finished and throw a frame around it... but I do prefer the cropped version... it makes it look more desolate being thinner.... Paul

Yes - I think I'd agree totally with Paul - I love the ruggedness derived from the knife work and the selected palette adds to the scene (that wet, dank atmosphere of the far west is perfectly rendered here). I prefer the extended landscape crop too.
Super work Mike.

Thanks very much, both of you. You confirmed what I was thinking about the crop, but it's always refreshing to get a new set of eyes on the piece.

Mike

go with the crop, it makes a dynamic use of the sky - there are three even bands of interest then. In the fuller version there are some rather lost elements floating around in space. Excellent knifework, looks like it was a lot of fun to paint.

Help needed on this one please. It's an acrylic, painted mostly with the palette knife, and was done after a recent trip to the Isle of Eigg. There are still some areas to strengthen, so any tips or suggestions would be most welcome. I would particularly welcome views on whether to crop or not - I'm not sure that I like the composition of the uncropped version but I'm swithering.

Cheers

Mike

Another vote for the crop, exactly as you have shown it. But don't forget to take a look at the cropped-off bottom slice before you throw it out...might be possibilities for a pic #2 out of that.

One more vote for the crop here. It gives the pic a dynamism, a directional thrust that's diluted by the trackway in the uncropped version.

Mike

Mike...little crop makes your composition more stronger, but i believe some portion of dirt road should be visible for lovely perspective & to achieve depth in the painting |=)|.

This is lovely piece of work. Excellent...

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul

lovely atmospheric painting Mike - epitomises Scottish landscape with that moody but colourful scene.

(I'd probably be less brutal with the amount you've cropped)

Attachments

• bf hoody.jpg
    bf hoody.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back