• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (2 Viewers)

Quite pleased with a couple of Jack Snipe shots - although for a bird that is smaller than a Starling and pretty nippy when it gets going, I should probably be chuffed to manage to get anything at all. The WTE shots are just record shots really - they were mostly quite distant. Only spotted them as they were just clearing the bay (they put up all the gulls) and heading inland a bit.

i spoke to the guy with the husky last thurs,he was saying what a nice spot it was for birding,might be worthwhile repeatedly pointing out the different species to see if it can spark an interest,he certainly likes to chat,and he picks up his dog poo,i wonder if the sea eagles were the same birds recently photographed at tentsmuir ? i always seem to miss these birds here

The Eagles do appear to be the birds previously seen at Tentsmuir. Turquoise I and Z from the 2009 release. One has the radio aerial round the front and the other has 1 wing tag, both features can just be seen on my photos (although not these ones posted here)..
I stopped a lady jogger while the Eagles were still in sight and pointed them out to her. She was from North America and lived in the Rockies where she watched Golden and Bald eagles regularly. We chatted for a few minutes and she thanked me for stopping her and pointing the birds out. I also spoke to another few walkers and told them what they'd just missed. Chatted for a wee while about some of the other species around and what to look out for. I think folk are generally quite surprised at the number and variety of birds around at the park.

Barry`s recent Redpoll

Hi Barry, you have been busy watching birds and chatting up joggers! Great photos of Jack Snipe and WTE but that Redpoll is incredibly pale. I know it looks overexposed but it can`t possibly be a Lesser surely. What other photos do you have especially of the back and undertail? Ian

Ian, unfortunately that is the sole photo of that bird I got before it flew off. It was with another bird which I only managed a photo of through the branches of the same tree. Later I encountered another pair, which could be the same birds, but again all I managed was a couple of poor shots before they flew off as a family with young children on bikes approached from the opposite direction.

The first 2 photos are from the first encounter, the latter pair are the second encounter.

Attachments

• redpoll1.jpg
    redpoll1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 83
  • redpoll2.jpg
    redpoll2.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 72
  • redpoll3.jpg
    redpoll3.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 65
  • redpoll4.jpg
    redpoll4.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 70
A wee wander around after watching the football go to extra time earlier produced a decent list of 35 species. Added a new species to my own park list when I flushed a Common Snipe from a marshy bit at the proposed park and ride site. That takes my own list total to 107. 16 species still to see from the 123 species seen so far. Best birds were 6 Stock Doves in the Lochan field, and a Reed Bunting male in bushes beside where the Snipe flew from.

Full list was -Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Buzzard (2), Carrion Crow (20+), Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant (1), Curlew (1), Dunnock, Goldfinch, Goosander (1f), Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw (20+), Kestrel (1), Lesser Black Backed Gull (4), Lesser Redpoll (1), Long Tailed Tit (2), Mallard, Meadow Pipit (2), Mute Swan (1), Oystercatcher (2), Pied Wagtail (2), Reed Bunting (1), Robin (1), Shelduck (4), Skylark, Snipe (1), Song Thrush (2), Stock Dove (6), Teal, woodpigeon, Wren (1), Yellowhammer (1).

Thought I heard Waxwing a couple of times but didn't see any until I crossed the road and went under the railway line at the underpass. 25 in trees just beyond by the path up to the Perth Road.

Attachments

• 300_6888 20130413_151507 .jpg
    300_6888 20130413_151507 .jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 300_6895 20130413_153449 .jpg
    300_6895 20130413_153449 .jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 65
2 willow warblers in the park tonight,1 swallow/skylarks/goldfinch/1 black tailed godwit with some colour showing/1 f goosander/teals/curlew/oystercatchers/carrion crows/jackdaws/robin/redshanks/2shellducks/mutes/lssb gulls on the lochan and in front of hide/4 starlings, unidentified flock of thrush types flew over heading into invergowrie,rt diver still sheltering at city quay

Attachments

• q2.JPG
    q2.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 50
  • q1.JPG
    q1.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 51
  • goswit.JPG
    goswit.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 57
  • rtdiver.JPG
    rtdiver.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 58
Popped down to the park after work on what was a beautiful sunny Spring day. The bay was pretty empty with very few birds around there, with the tide well out. Surprised to spot a distant Jay appear from the area beyond the Lochan and fly towards the Ninewells Arborteum area. It was followed by another two. Haven't seen more than one Jay at the park before, so was good to see. No sign of any summer visitors. Quite a short list -

Blackbird, Buzzard (1 - quite dark bird), Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Cormorant (1), Curlew, Goosander (scoped by young Glen), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Jay (3), Lesser Black Backed Gull (1), Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Meadow Pipit (2), Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail (2), Redshank, feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Skylark, Teal, Woodpigeon

Enjoyable afternoon at the park which ended with a list of 35 species, and still managed to miss a lot of regulars. Also some productive chats with dog walkers whose dogs were running around in areas near where I think there may be Skylarks potentially nesting (have seen birds lift from the area(s) a couple of times now).
There appears to have been an influx of Willow Warblers into the park late afternoon, with around a dozen feeding on insects (flycatching and around on the ground) in the trees behind the car park. Also had a small group of Redpolls, one of which has been ID'd as a Mealy from photos by someone with a lot more experience than me. This may be the same bird commented on a few weeks ago by Ian Ford as a potential Mealy. Have posted pics in the ID thread as well. Looking at the LGRE and Birdguides Redpoll pages has me arguing with myself once again....

List for today is -
Blackbird, Black Headed Gull (1), Blue Tit, Buzzard (1), Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Common Gull, Goldcrest (1), Goldfinch, Greenfinch (3), Grey Heron (1), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll/Mealy Redpoll (at least 4, possibly more), Linnet, Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Meadow Pipit (2), Mute Swan (2), Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck (7), Skylark, Starling, Teal, Willow Warbler (c12), Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer

Meant to do this earlier....

124. Mealy Redpoll

Ian Ford had White Wagtail on Thursday morning by the pipe in the bay. I'm mildly tempted to count that as another "species" on the list, but probably better not.....

Popped down to the park for an hour or so after work yesterday. Think I possibly managed a photo of the Mealy Redpoll in flight, displaying. 33 species was the total.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel (1), Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet (2), Lesser Redpoll, Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Meadow Pipit (3 - 1 with beakful of insects), Mealy Redpoll, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose (300+ flew in towards bay then looked like they landed but were up again soon after and noisily departed north - seen from Buzzard Wood, so rather distant), Redshank, Reed Bunting, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck (5), Skylark (1), Song Thrush (1), Swallow (1), Teal (2), Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer.

The lochan was empty except for a Pied Wagtail. There were a few Willow Warblers dotted around. Also had a glimpse of two back-lit Martins disappearing over the trees in the direction of the lochan, but couldn't be certain which species they were.

Brilliant afternoon at the park in (mostly) sunshine. Had been over in Fife and bumped into Gus Guthrie, so as he was needing Mealy Redpoll for his Angus yearlist we headed back to the park to look for it. Got a bit sidetracked when we heard a Lesser Whitethroat which showed rather well at times. Gus managed to see the Mealy Redpoll and headed off a happy man. I spent the rest of the afternoon seeing how long a list I could get. Ended up with 43 species and a couple of "heard only".
1st Common Whitethroat and Blackcap for the year at the park, and glad to see Lesser Whitethroat back again, and visible/audible at least for now. Will get a lot harder to see rather soon. A few locals managed to add it to their yearlist today with really good views. Wheatear was the first one I've seen through the park in Spring (1 in Autumn 2011).

Blackbird, Blackcap (1m), Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard (2), Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Great Black Backed Gull (1), Grey Heron(1), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll (3+), Lesser Whitethroat (possibly 2), Linnet (1), Long tailed Tit, Mallard, Mealy Redpoll (1), Mute Swan (2), Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose (c80 north not calling), Red Breasted Merganser (1f), Redshank, Reed Bunting, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Skylark, Starling (2), Swallow, Teal (4), Wheatear (1m), Whitethroat (1), Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer (2)
Common Sandpiper and Great Tit both heard but not seen.

Attachments

• 300_7972 20130427_101235 .jpg
    300_7972 20130427_101235 .jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 300_7975 20130427_101251 .jpg
    300_7975 20130427_101251 .jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 300_8001 20130427_102335 .jpg
    300_8001 20130427_102335 .jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 300_8153 20130427_141958 .jpg
    300_8153 20130427_141958 .jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Helped out with a guided walk on Thursday evening although the weather didn't cooperate too well, with drizzle at times, and the light only improving about a minute before the end of the walk. Still somehow managed 32 species for my own list, with another couple seen by others.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Curlew, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Skylark, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Teal, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Wren. Also Blackcap and Chiffchaff.

A very successful trip to the park today. Managed a new record total for myself at the park, and almost added a site tick to my own list. 53 species seen between 0745 and 1515.

Blackbird, Blackcap (m&f), Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit (c16), Blue Tit (1), Buzzard (1), Carrion Crow (40+), Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Common Gull, Cormorant (1), Curlew (1), Dunlin (4), Dunnock (1), Goldfinch, Great Black Backed Gull (1), Great Tit (4), Greenfinch (2), Grey Heron (1), Herring Gull, House Sparrow (2), Jackdaw (10+), Kestrel (1), Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll (4), Lesser Whitethroat (1), Linnet (2), Long Tailed Tit, Mallard (23+), Meadow Pipit (4+), Mute Swan (2), Oystercatcher (6), Pied Wagtail, Redshank (60+), Reed Bunting (1), Robin (1), Feral Pigeon, Sand Martin, Shelduck (6+), Siskin (1), Skylark, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk (1m), Starling (c10), Stock Dove (1), Swallow (3), Turnstone (1), Wheatear (2), Whitethroat (4+), Willow Warbler (5+), Woodpigeon, Wren (1), Yellowhammer.
Sedge Warbler heard but couldn't see it through the bushes and fallen trees at Buzzard Wood.

Last edited:
Just heard of a sighting of a Common Crane on Thursday afternoon flying into the bay with Shelduck. The bird was seen by a visiting English birder who is familiar with the species from Norfolk. Thanks to Gus Guthrie for passing on the sighting. Another one for the list. Loch of Strathbeg had 3 of these birds on the 30th of April. 4 were reported on Thursday via birdguides. Maybe the Riverside bird headed north east after a brief stop. On checking further, there was a sighting of one overflying the reedbeds at Errol on 28th April.

125. Common Crane

Last edited:
A relatively productive wander around the park with kinnordyvolunteer this evening in the sunshine (was that Summer?) produced a list of around 40 species. Lots of walkers, dog walkers (most with dogs under control, but not all), cyclists and even 4 birders eventually.

Birds seen -
Blackbird, Blackcap, Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit (1), Blue Tit, Buzzard (1), Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff (heard only), Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew (5), Goldcrest (1), Goldfinch, Great Tit (heard only), Greenfinch (1), Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel (1), Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll, Linnet (3), Long Tailed Tit (1), Mallard, Mute Swan (2), Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail (1), Redshank, Feral Pigeon, Robin, Shelduck, Skylark, Song Thrush, Starling, Swallow, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Wren (heard only), Yellowhammer

I enjoyed the sunshine yesterday afternoon overlooking Invergowrie Bay and noticed there was a 1st summer Little Gull among the Black-heads. Also a single Bar-tailed Godwit in winter plumage. Planning an early walk round the park now as part of a BBS.

Another new bird for the park list seen today at the Lochan was a Wood Sandpiper. Unfortunately for me, by the time I was able to get to the park after work, the bird appeared to have gone. Did manage 18 species despite the weather and lack of optical equipment.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Feral Pigeon, Goldfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Shelduck, Song Thrush, Starling (c40 - most I've seen together at the park - not usually a common visitor), Swallow, Woodpigeon

126. Wood Sandpiper

A bit late but as Barry has written I found a Wood Sandpiper at the lochan yesterday morning and it was seen again at noon. Still lots of Redpolls singing and displaying on my early walk. I`m doing an informal BBS (Breeding Bird Survey) to see what is where and as a benchmark for future years. Any information on nests and fledged young particularly welcome. Here is a photo of the Wood Sandpiper.

Attachments

• rnp woodsand may13.JPG
    rnp woodsand may13.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 108

Users who are viewing this thread

Back