• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various IDs - Ethiopia, Addis Ababa (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

Here's what I have for these 4 birds:

1. Abyssinian Woodpecker (but the face pattern almost suggests Cardinal Woodpecker to me?)
2. Lanner Falcon
3. Immature Lanner? Was flying around with bird #2
4 & 5. Steppe Eagle

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6252.JPG
    IMG_6252.JPG
    541.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6283.JPG
    IMG_6283.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6306.JPG
    IMG_6306.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6333.JPG
    IMG_6333.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6356.JPG
    IMG_6356.JPG
    573.2 KB · Views: 46
1. Abyssinian Woodpecker (but the face pattern almost suggests Cardinal Woodpecker to me?)

I think you're safe with Abyssinian. Cardinal doesn't have the red rump, does it, among other things about this bird.

Love the punk cut; is that the style in Ethiopia these days?

I was present, so my opinion doesn't count as a cross-check I assume :)

• 1. The pattern on the wing is pretty distinctive (fine perpendicular striping on wind panel) for the Abyssinian. I've attached my own photo of the bird, a bit dark but the pattern is clearer.
  • 2. Lanner falcon is pretty distinct with the lack of barring on chest (cf. Peregrine/Barbary).
  • 4-5 Maybe even the one I saw last week. Relative size to the Black Kites present seemed right (i.e. HUGE).

Attachments

• woodpecker_abyssinian 2.jpg
    woodpecker_abyssinian 2.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 20
I am not happy with the eagle being IDed as a Steppe. Granted the gape line looks quite long but not out of range for Tawny and although it is difficult to explain the facial expression (and bill proportions etc...) looks better for Tawny.
Some less subjective features can be found on the underwing: the bicolored greater coverts showing white outer webs and dark inner webs occur in both species but are way more common in Tawny where this pattern is the rule rather than the exception.
The flight feathers barring look uncontrasty and lacks the marbled appearance so typical of adult Steppe (the bird looks adult to me but it is not easy to determine with certainty with these pics), likewise I would expect the dark tips shown by some secondaries and primaries to be more solidly black and contrasty on a Steppe. Also, the width of the pale bars on the secondaries look consistent throughout the whole length of the feathers, on Steppe the pale bars progressively widen on the distal part of the feathers. This last feature is usually more obvious on younger birds but it is present on adults too. The lack of a paler throat is also better for Tawny eagle.

thanks for the detailed analysis, most welcome, it seems that ethiopian Tawny Eagles (mountain range?) are often dark with well showing barring

We observed the eagle very close: it surprised us on the road and flew across the valley before we could whip our cameras out. My overall impression of the size was that it was much larger than a Tawny, and I've been quite close to those. Otherwise, I think best evidence is the gape... though admittedly I am not an expert.

What about the upper tail coverts? Wouldn't we expect a contrast (i.e. lighter band) compared with both tail and rump if this were a Tawny?

Here's the other 5 shots I have of this eagle. Some were quite overexposed but you can still see some details related to underwing greater coverts, flight feathers, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_6325.JPG
    IMG_6325.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6331.JPG
    IMG_6331.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6349.JPG
    IMG_6349.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6353.JPG
    IMG_6353.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6335.JPG
    IMG_6335.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 18
thanks for the detailed analysis, most welcome, it seems that ethiopian Tawny Eagles (mountain range?) are often dark with well showing barring

It took me a day or two to change my mind, but I have now seen the light, so thanks for your through reply, Tib. For what it's worth, this is the first dark Tawny I have seen in Addis Ababa, all others have been the rufous nominate. This is partly why I was too quick to ID it as Steppe. The darker subspecies is noticably larger, too, as mentioned in Birds HOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back