• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (24 Viewers)

Same to you Paul!

had a nice couple of local patch ticks today with a water rail and red headed goosander at Hellesdon Meadow by the river bend just past the Marlpit community centre.

Unfortunately, we can't have 'Ollit' for Olive-backed (would we want to, anyway?), as it's Yorkshire dialect for Barn Owl.

However, what of the delights of Tawnit, Rickit and Buffit ? The best one might be Pecit !

(Still half asleep, I posted this on the PDiver thread this a.m.)

Sounds like a story you would tell children John!!- Tawnit, Rickit and Buffit get chased by Maurice the Merlin!! Beats double maths though!!

Why don't we call these birds by there proper names - They get changed often enough by the authorities as it is!!

Had any good cake recently!!

Regards.:cat::cat:

Titchwell January 5th

Today's highlights

No reports of the possible pacific diver today
Glaucous gull - juv on fresh marsh during afternoon
Slav grebe - 1 offshore
Great skua - 1 chasing gulls along beach
Red kite - 1 hunting over saltmarsh all day
Peregrine - 1 hunting over reserve
Hen harrier - ringtail to roost this evening

Snettisham

Shorelark - 2 feeding on beach near 1st hide but mobile
Snow bunting - 30 on beach
Scaup - 5 (1 drake) on 2nd pit

Paul

Last edited:
24th December 2009 - woodcock and robin photos

Hi all

I've just finally downloaded my photos from my trip to Titchwell on 24th December 2009 - a great half-day - and thought some may be interested in a couple of photos, one of a welcome guard that posted itself on my wing mirror as soon as I arrived and the other, spotted as I was leaving, of one of two Woodcock that fed out in the open by the shop for twenty minutes or so.

Happy New Year to all and I can't wait to return in the summer...

Attachments

• robin.JPG
    robin.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 89
  • woodcock.JPG
    woodcock.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 148
..........Why don't we call these birds by there proper names............

AGREED - I can't stand abbreviations for birds - it really winds me up - the most aggravating one being 'MIPPIT' - ITS CALLED A MEADOW PIPIT!!!!!!! - pure laziness - oh and 'GROPPER' - why on earth would you want to rename the beautifully named 'Grasshopper Warbler' a 'Gropper'!!!!!!!!!!?????

Fed up with the snow - the novelty has well and truly worn off!!! the hill round the corner from me has been snowy/icy since before christmas - walked again to work today - not worth getting the car out to slide down the hill - all helps with my weight loss campaign I suppose!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

NEW BLOG: http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
AGREED - I can't stand abbreviations for birds - it really winds me up - the most aggravating one being 'MIPPIT' - ITS CALLED A MEADOW PIPIT!!!!!!! - pure laziness - oh and 'GROPPER' - why on earth would you want to rename the beautifully named 'Grasshopper Warbler' a 'Gropper'!!!!!!!!!!?????

Fed up with the snow - the novelty has well and truly worn off!!! the hill round the corner from me has been snowy/icy since before christmas - walked again to work today - not worth getting the car out to slide down the hill - all helps with my weight loss campaign I suppose!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

NEW BLOG: http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/

Penny. Sorry to back track - but I do like the name "Gropper" for some reason!!

Just find the pipit thing has got a bit silly!! How much snow is there!! Must be good for seeing Water Rails and stuff!! Cold weather should bring some white wing gulls or even Ivory Gull or White Billed Diver? If the cold snap continues a Bustard might find its way hear - we live in hope!

Good dates for Fair Isle (Josh you have to go to realise why I stop singing its praises!). Good for self finding, Bluethroat, Wryneck, Rosefinch and Icterine Warbler are very likely if you put the time in. You also have a good chance of seeing Subalpine Warbler, Red throated Pipit and Rustic Bunting.

Hopefully you will see (perhaps find) a major rarity!! Are you going to fetlar to see the Red necked Phalaropes - they will make fab photos.

:cat::cat:

..............Cold weather should bring some white wing gulls or even Ivory Gull or White Billed Diver? If the cold snap continues a Bustard might find its way hear - we live in hope!

..............Are you going to fetlar to see the Red necked Phalaropes - they will make fab photos.

:cat::cat:

Seen Ivory Gull in Norfolk;);) but wouldn't mind seeing another - I was very young at the time!!!

Not going to Fetlar - spending entire 2 weeks on Fair Isle:t:

Titchwell January 6th

Today's highlights

Glaucous gull - juvenile commuting between beach and fresh marsh
Red kite - 1 hunting over saltmarsh throughout the day
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over reserve
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed briefly
Pintail - 179 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 6 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 2 on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 20 on beach

Paul

Norfolk birding never fails to disappoint, there are always surprises, beautiful scenery and a great range of birds. However sometimes there are some days that are so breath-taking that the images of the days become firmly sculpted in stone on your memory and will remain there for a long time. Yesterday was one of those days. We centred our efforts around Haddiscoe, but the experience was about as far from the quick stop off to scan from the bridge that alot of birders only give themselves at this site.

Admittedly to begin with we did scan from the bridge but seeing a few birders out on the marsh and having to suffer the horrendous traffic rattling by soon had us aspiring to get out into the wild. The day had already gone well - a redhead Goosander heading down the river and a Peregrine perched on pylons, but as we walked along out from Waveney Forest the experience became far more authentic. The first great bird of the day was a Bittern flushed from a frozen bank at close range given stunning views as it did a slow loop into the reed. Then a flock of 21 Bearded Tits, mostly males disappearing in and out of the reed stems. Real drama then followed when i noted a loose flock of broad winged waders taking to the sky but in a strangely resigned fashion, i was just in time to raise my eyes to see a Peregrine, dink, twist and smack straight into a hapless Lapwing, the spirit of J A Baker http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...fetime-the-peregrine-by-ja-baker-1688881.html coursed through my veins as it calmly repositioned its kill and slowly flew off to a private area to gourge. Can there be a greater seering operatic spectacle than Peregrines effortlessly taking down prey?

Inevitably another scan from the bridge revealed little again forcing us to take to the wilderness once more. A perched Kingfisher dappled by reeds and afternoon light, proved another highlight and fairly soon we had relocated the Rough-legged Buzzard - typically conserving energy by keeping to one or two gate posts but at times being mobbed by Short-eared Owl and Peregrine with Hen Harrier and Sparrowhawk in the foreground.

It was at this point that our real stroke of luck occurred, although it doesn't need saying, if you are on someone else patch, get to know The Man. So take a bow Rob Murray, it seemed he watches Haddiscoe all day every day and absolutely loves every second, on top of this he was delighted to show us some of the patches hidden treasure. So after sating ourselves on the raptors we found ourselves hastening through dark forest rides hoping to catch the finale of the day. Against red glowing patches of evening sky we found the ''Peninsula'' just as the first shadowy figure whizzed past our eyes. The evening commute had just begun and in total we had 35 Woodcock leaving their roost to feed out in marsh, a staggering figure to us but nothing compared with the 56 Rob had had a couple of days previously! As I say some great memories but having to locate Woodcock by the sound of their wings beating before seeing them zip out into a sea of reeds will be hard to surpass.

Great write-up BR! I think all of us have realised that there are a large number of Woodcock around at the moment, but these numbers are truely spectacular. A guy called Colin Jacobs has reported 100 and 150 from the same area over the past few days.

Must say, though, strange place for you to find yourself out birding!

Norfolk birding never fails to disappoint, there are always surprises, beautiful scenery and a great range of birds. However sometimes there are some days that are so breath-taking that the images of the days become firmly sculpted in stone on your memory and will remain there for a long time. Yesterday was one of those days. We centred our efforts around Haddiscoe, but the experience was about as far from the quick stop off to scan from the bridge that alot of birders only give themselves at this site.

Admittedly to begin with we did scan from the bridge but seeing a few birders out on the marsh and having to suffer the horrendous traffic rattling by soon had us aspiring to get out into the wild. The day had already gone well - a redhead Goosander heading down the river and a Peregrine perched on pylons, but as we walked along out from Waveney Forest the experience became far more authentic. The first great bird of the day was a Bittern flushed from a frozen bank at close range given stunning views as it did a slow loop into the reed. Then a flock of 21 Bearded Tits, mostly males disappearing in and out of the reed stems. Real drama then followed when i noted a loose flock of broad winged waders taking to the sky but in a strangely resigned fashion, i was just in time to raise my eyes to see a Peregrine, dink, twist and smack straight into a hapless Lapwing, the spirit of J A Baker http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...fetime-the-peregrine-by-ja-baker-1688881.html coursed through my veins as it calmly repositioned its kill and slowly flew off to a private area to gourge. Can there be a greater seering operatic spectacle than Peregrines effortlessly taking down prey?

Inevitably another scan from the bridge revealed little again forcing us to take to the wilderness once more. A perched Kingfisher dappled by reeds and afternoon light, proved another highlight and fairly soon we had relocated the Rough-legged Buzzard - typically conserving energy by keeping to one or two gate posts but at times being mobbed by Short-eared Owl and Peregrine with Hen Harrier and Sparrowhawk in the foreground.

It was at this point that our real stroke of luck occurred, although it doesn't need saying, if you are on someone else patch, get to know The Man. So take a bow Rob Murray, it seemed he watches Haddiscoe all day every day and absolutely loves every second, on top of this he was delighted to show us some of the patches hidden treasure. So after sating ourselves on the raptors we found ourselves hastening through dark forest rides hoping to catch the finale of the day. Against red glowing patches of evening sky we found the ''Peninsula'' just as the first shadowy figure whizzed past our eyes. The evening commute had just begun and in total we had 35 Woodcock leaving their roost to feed out in marsh, a staggering figure to us but nothing compared with the 56 Rob had had a couple of days previously! As I say some great memories but having to locate Woodcock by the sound of their wings beating before seeing them zip out into a sea of reeds will be hard to surpass.

B.R. These remind me of a blog called ARGY BARGY BIRDING - no relation then!! Good that continue to have the passion for birds - hope you never never lose it!

Norfolk birding never fails to disappoint, there are always surprises, beautiful scenery and a great range of birds. However sometimes there are some days that are so breath-taking that the images of the days become firmly sculpted in stone on your memory and will remain there for a long time..................

Sounds like a top day:t:

Cracking account old bean! Helps keep the doldrums at bay as am going rapidly stir crazy over here in West Norfolk.

Can there be a greater seering operatic spectacle than Peregrines effortlessly taking down prey?

Not much to match a Peregrine, I grant you, except perhaps a Golden Eagle power gliding or stooping at prey, or displaying .... scrub that, just a Golden Eagle doing anything really! On the Peregrine front, have you read the RB Trelevean books? First class descriptions and a real feel for the bird.

Irene

thanks everyone! glad people appreciate this kind of writing, i'm always far more into posts that go into detail and give a sense of place, excitement etc, i.e the blogging ones ; -)

Grave matters

Driving south from Cromer this morning, my car and I ended up in a field. This wasn't by choice, but because of the last three letters of that word. Apparently, 6 or 7 cars have done likewise in the same place in the last fortnight.

An AA patrolman, with the aid of two of Norfolk's finest, got the car back on the road- a brilliant effort. Fortunately, we both seem to have emerged reasonably unscathed.

Having had the car checked at my local garage and new parts ordered, I went to the nearby cemetery, where there were several Woodcocks and Fieldfares.

On the way, I noticed a Robin behaving very strangely: it was fluttering along close to the iced-up road into the blizzard, pitching down a few times- very similar to a petrel dancing over the waves !

Attachments

• P1000829pse1.jpg
    P1000829pse1.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 157
Titchwell January 7th

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 4 on fresh marsh
Merlin - 1 hunting at Thornham Point
Bittern - 2 in flight over reedbed from Fen Hide
Woodcock - at least 4 birds feeding around the visitor centre

Paul