• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gimbal head on ebay. (1 Viewer)

Ragna

What do we think of these on ebay Item no 130075432528. They seem to be acopy of the Wimberly head but less than a third of the price.Now i dont expect it to be the same quality as the wimberly but do you think it would work as well.Is anyone using one of these if so do you think its any good.Ebay users give good feedback on these heads but would like to know if they are still pleased 6-12 months later.

No answers to your questions Graham, but I've bookmarked the Ebay page!

Given that gimbal heads are essentially pretty strightforward items, it'd be nice to think this one would work for a while...

A friend of mine , Brian Phipps has just got one, he's using a 1D mk2 with a 500 f4 and so far is very pleased with it. I've had a play and it seems really smooth to me. Thinking of maybe getting one myself as I have to get something better than my Manfroto 128 and this would future proof me if I ever get enough money together for a 500.

I've just order one for my 500f4 and 1D mkII N, been making do because I could'nt afford the real thing just yet.. This should hopefully do the job just right.
Thanks for posting this info..

Trev please let us know what you think of the gimbal head, i use one of their quick release plates on my monopod it cost about a 1/3 of the kirk quick release plate and iam very pleased with it.

What is the advantage over the Manfrotto gimbal head?

This one weighs 2Kg, compared to 1Kg, is more expensive than the Manfrotto head, and is of unknown origin, presumably China, though the shop is based in India.

There is an interesting online review of one of the Chinese Benro ball heads. Basically it is poorly engineered. So I would be wary.

Finally got my gimbal tripod head today, it is superb, tried it out this afternoon with the Canon 500 f4 and although I cannot compare it to the "W" make of gimbal head as I've never had one.
This one is fab, I fully recommend it.

What is the advantage over the Manfrotto gimbal head?

This one weighs 2Kg, compared to 1Kg, is more expensive than the Manfrotto head, and is of unknown origin, presumably China, though the shop is based in India.

I've not tried one of these unknown gimbals, but I have tested the Manfrotto 393... I must confess that I was really impressed with the build quality, balance and smooth movement of it, I thought I'd found a winner. However when I tested it in the field I found that I struggled to get a really sharp shot when using it. When I looked closer I found that it seemed to suffer quite badly from residual vibration after moving it, it was a lot worse that the Manfrotto 501 head I was (and still am) using. I'd be interested to find a head that was up to the standard of a Wimberly but without the cost... I'll probably crack eventually and buy one.

I use one of there looking plates for my wimberly quick release plate on a monopod and have found it to work very well at a 1/3 of the price of a kirk or wimberly.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back