• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using a Velbon Sherpa 200R ? (1 Viewer)

Darkus_Markus

I received one via mail order and have a question about locking the lever for the quick release plate.

The instructions are written in some strange in English so thought I'd check on here.

The lever has quite a nice snap closing action when the plate is pressed into it. However it doesn't appear to fully close and instead stops at around 3/4's of it's expected movement.

Is the idea that once you've snapped the plate in you are meant to move it fully close it by hand ? I've never encountered this mechanism before so thought I'd check before I force/break anything.

Take a look at the images attached.

Image A shows what happens when I press the plate in.

Image B shows how I'd expect it to look.

Both images found online.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 112
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 122
I've used that head, and (although it might be obvious) have you got the plate the right way round? The image of how you'd expect it to look has it in the opposite plane.
You should be able to tell by the locking key, being actually able to lock the plate in.

Thanks for the reply paddy7, I hadn't noticed the difference in the picture's.

Just looked at the foot on the plate and it's square in shape, so whichever way you place it your faced with the same issue.

Hi Markus,

The lever has quite a nice snap closing action when the plate is pressed into it. However it doesn't appear to fully close and instead stops at around 3/4's of it's expected movement.

From my experience with a different Velbon head, the lever should indeed snap into the fully-closed position immediately.

Basically, you first align the edge of the base opposite to the lever ("far" edge) with the corresponding edge of the plate, then push down the "near" edge.

The push down might need a bit of manual force if you insert the empty plate, if my example can serve as indication. I never noticed that before because with a scope attached, it locks immediately.

Regards,

Henning

Darkus

Mine works exactly like yours: the lever snaps around to about 3/4s of its travel when the QR plate is inserted. I used it in this position for about a year (Canon DSLR + 100 Macro L IS and occasional scope or 15x56 binos) before noticing that I can push the lever further 'home' and I have been doing this for about 3 years now.

I am not 100% sure that pushing the lever all the way makes it any more secure because it always has been secure even before I did this.

As I have been using this set-up for several years now I can say with confidence that it works just fine and without any problems at all.

Lee

Yep, when it clicks in it won't lock completely, you do have to push it further to lock it securely. You should be able to notice the difference in how secure it is between 3/4 and all the way. I think the 200R has the same head as the newer 200 (not-R) model so it would be the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back