Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Monarch 82ED, a Perfect Ten

Old Sunday 30th June 2019, 14:17   #26
choonsarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehe View Post
I'd like to know too, asked it here before but got moved to the digiscoping sub forum where seemed very quiet.

I measured the 20-60 eyepiece, the diameter of the end is about 54.5mm, anyone knows the diameter of Nikon DS eyepiece for the old ED scopes? If they are close, I guess the DSA-N1 will fit the MEP eyepiece too.

Actually I would prefer another adapter because I hesitate to buy a Nikon 1 camera in this day and age.
Hello Wayne, just curios if not using Nikon DSA-N1, which would you recommend using from third party? I would like to mount my fujifilm XT2 body instead. Thanks.
Old Sunday 30th June 2019, 15:08   #27
waynehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by choonsarn View Post
Hello Wayne, just curios if not using Nikon DSA-N1, which would you recommend using from third party? I would like to mount my fujifilm XT2 body instead. Thanks.
Hello,

Sorry I have no clue, I am new to fieldscopes. I asked the same question as you did in this thread but it soon got moved before answered.

I read that the DSA-N1 was only for Nikon 1 cameras which were discontinued, the latest model J5 was released in 2015. So I am not sure if it is a good idea to go this route unless you already have a Nikon 1 camera.

Cheers,
Old Sunday 30th June 2019, 19:03   #28
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehe View Post
I measured the 20-60 eyepiece, the diameter of the end is about 54.5mm, anyone knows the diameter of Nikon DS eyepiece for the old ED scopes? If they are close, I guess the DSA-N1 will fit the MEP eyepiece too.
A DS eyepiece is also 54.5mm, just measured by me.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 30th June 2019, 19:56   #29
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
I was originally expecting to see the usual compliment of images, but presumably time or other constraints put paid to that.

The Monarch is a rare scope in the UK. I've never seen one in the field but presumably it is on show at the Birdfair.

Did you happen to find that this specimen handled heat haze better than ...well any other birding scope?
There are no images because my camera died just before I borrowed the scope. I might not have posted star-test images anyway. I've found it's easy enough to photograph defects in star tests, but impossible to do justice to a nearly perfect one with a photo.

I didn't specifically test for performance with heat haze, but all very low aberration scopes like the Monarch handle heat haze better than higher aberration scopes because the bad effects of aberrations and heat waves add together to make a worse image than either one would by itself.
Old Sunday 30th June 2019, 20:01   #30
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
Every 883 I've seen (about 11) have been excellent.
I'd call that an amazing run of good luck.
Old Monday 1st July 2019, 00:57   #31
waynehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
A DS eyepiece is also 54.5mm, just measured by me.
Thanks a lot, Kevin.
Old Monday 1st July 2019, 07:41   #32
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

waynehe,

see attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nikon Digiscoping copy.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	698814  

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st July 2019, 11:24   #33
choonsarn

Hello all, do you all use camera with or without lense and attached it to eye piece with adapter to digiscope? Thanks.
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 19:36   #34
mayoayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post

I'd still be interested in trying out a TSN-95-100 if such a thing is coming...... If a 95-100mm Nikon Monarch ED as good as the 82mm review specimen came along I'd jump on it in a second.
I can see that happening ,a larger Monarch,but Kowa is already in the 90 mm territory,and they had that exclusive niche for a decade ,excluding a few mid grade 100mm..What is the reason to go bigger?..How many 95 mm modules is swaro selling,and how many 4500 EU Harpías are around?.If the 55 mm prominar goes for 2000 dollars..How much is a 100 mm fluorite Prominar KOWA 993 going to cost?..6000 dollars?..

..You guys remember when the.Monarch was going to be a modular system?...
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 22:33   #35
DRodrigues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
...How many 95 mm modules is swaro selling,...
Read some-where that more than the 85mm and the 65mm!!!...

http://www.pt-ducks.com
Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 13:35   #36
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
If the 55 mm prominar goes for 2000 dollars..How much is a 100 mm fluorite Prominar KOWA 993 going to cost?..6000 dollars?..

..You guys remember when the.Monarch was going to be a modular system?...
Let's hope the 55 mm Prominar's pricing is a one time anomaly. That scope's prism focusing system and modest fixed zoom eyepiece would be more at home in a $500 scope. A 55 mm Fluorite element cannot possibly justify such an exalted price for such a small scope.

My hope would be $3500-4000 for a 95-100mm Fluorite TSN, but since the market seems willing to pay $4500-5000 for the 95mm Swarovski ATX the price might be closer to that.

Yes, I do remember the aborted modular Monarch. I was mainly excited about the possibility of buying the oversized offset Schmidt prism unit to adapt to my astronomical refractors.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Wednesday 3rd July 2019 at 14:26.
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 00:02   #37
mayoayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRodrigues View Post
Read some-where that more than the 85mm and the 65mm!!!...
I have seen a number of ATX units in the field,and one BTX..All of them being 85 mm and a couple 65,not a single 95..of course very subjective , but also used to visit one of the spanish digiscoping forums, where lots of members jumped to ATX/STX and I think all have 85 modules.
In any case the 95 mm option, in the modular system makes complete sense..
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 00:51   #38
mooreorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
I agree. If my ED82A had a wider field eyepiece with better eye relief I would never have purchased the Kowa 883. As it is, I cannot part with the ED82!
I will not part with my Nikon 82A for sure!
Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 16:59   #39
JerryLogan

Quote:
Let's hope the 55 mm Prominar's pricing is a one time anomaly. That scope's prism focusing system and modest fixed zoom eyepiece would be more at home in a $500 scope. A 55 mm Fluorite element cannot possibly justify such an exalted price for such a small scope.

My hope would be $3500-4000 for a 95-100mm Fluorite TSN, but since the market seems willing to pay $4500-5000 for the 95mm Swarovski ATX the price might be closer to that.

Yes, I do remember the aborted modular Monarch. I was mainly excited about the possibility of buying the oversized offset Schmidt prism unit to adapt to my astronomical refractors.

Henry
Henry,

Can you say if the 60mm Monarch scope also has an oversized prism or is that confined to the 82ED scope?

Thanks and best,
Jerry
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 00:01   #40
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLogan View Post
Henry,

Can you say if the 60mm Monarch scope also has an oversized prism or is that confined to the 82ED scope?

Thanks and best,
Jerry
The prism housings of both the 82mm and 60mm Monarchs look identical to me, apparently the same size and both have the offset, so while I haven't seen the 60mm I'm pretty sure the prisms are identical. The old 60 and 82 Fieldscopes shared the same oversized prism.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Wednesday 10th July 2019 at 00:06.
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 15:39   #41
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

This scope is getting very hard to get in the UK. I wasn't particularly planning on getting a new scope but my Zeiss Diascope 65mm is getting on a bit and now I use a Vortex Razor 50mm when I don't want to carry a larger scope - so most of the time - I have thought about getting a larger scope with 60X mag for twitches, when I finally splash the cash on snow leopard in Mongolia etc. I find it hard to justify the huge price of Kowa/Swarvoski for something that I won't actually use that much but this is starting to sound like a real bargain.

Just making sure I have got this correct: this is a scope that really does compete with the very best at about half the price?

@SteveBabbs
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 13:34   #42
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
Just making sure I have got this correct: this is a scope that really does compete with the very best at about half the price?
Hi Steve,

Yes, you are correct. The Monarch competes optically with "the very best" and beats most of them. The unit I tested was a sensibly perfect telescope. I've never seen a birding scope with better optics at any price. However, since I've only seen one specimen I don't know how many units are that good. Mediocre units and outright lemons are almost certainly out there just as they are with even the most expensive scopes.

Henry
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 15:57   #43
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Yes, you are correct. The Monarch competes optically with "the very best" and beats most of them. The unit I tested was a sensibly perfect telescope. I've never seen a birding scope with better optics at any price. However, since I've only seen one specimen I don't know how many units are that good. Mediocre units and outright lemons are almost certainly out there just as they are with even the most expensive scopes.

Henry
Yes that is a worry as I can't find anywhere where I could test one out. In fact the only place I can find selling them is based in Holland.

@SteveBabbs
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 16:07   #44
dipped

Quote:
Yes that is a worry as I can't find anywhere where I could test one out. In fact the only place I can find selling them is based in Holland.
You could order from Nikon UK and still be able to return it under mail order legislation. Or are you going to the BirdFair where they will surely have them?
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 16:27   #45
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Quote:
Even more of a bargain are the ED82 Fieldscope series. Here is one for sale on the forum, I think if you could get it for £650 it would be a great deal. I've still yet to see another scope which out-resolves my sample.

@axbridge_birder
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 16:58   #46
mooreorless

Hi Daniel, I did post on that Nikon 82EDA for sale on here but I agree with you about these 82ED Fieldscopes 100%
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 17:43   #47
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
You could order from Nikon UK and still be able to return it under mail order legislation. Or are you going to the BirdFair where they will surely have them?
The BirdFair is never going to be an option for me due to the time of year.

What I'd really like to do it is compare it to mine and a Kowa. Buying nothing is definitely an option. I wasn't actually planning to but this post caught my eye and I am now wondering, if they are such a bargain, I should snap one up while they are available.

@SteveBabbs
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 23:04   #48
Alexis Powell

Quote:
...Just making sure I have got this correct: this is a scope that really does compete with the very best at about half the price?
I don't disagree with the above responses, but to add a cautionary note, it depends on what you mean by "really does compete with the very best at about half the price." If your concern is optical quality with respect to resolution of either zoom or fixed power eyepieces, and to FOV and eye relief of fixed power eyepieces, the answer is yes. When it comes to wide angle zoom performance, the answer is more nuanced. I've no experience with the wide zoom available for the Monarch scopes, but even if it is top quality it is pricey and makes the scope less stunning as a budget option (since it seems, at least in the USA, that Nikon is no longer offering it with the scope body, only separately, and the scope is not available body only, only with the 20-60x zoom). You should also consider the Kowa and Meopta wide angle zoom competitors.

You can get the same optical performance from the (even cheaper, used) Fieldscope 82ED or (much cheaper still!) Fieldscope 78ED, but those scopes do not have the option of a wide zoom. I don't find zooms very useful for birding, so I have used the 78ED and 82ED scopes for many years very happily. In 1994, the 78ED was the best birding scope optically, in my opinion (certainly nothing better from Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, or Kowa at that time), and it was amazingly compact for a 78 mm scope. It is so good that I have not been tempted by the beautiful scopes that other companies have released since, and with the 30x WF eyepiece it is still my favorite scope for most birding.

--AP
Old Friday 12th July 2019, 06:54   #49
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

I am a big zoom fan. It is available from Holland at a good price for the body only + the 30-60 x .

@SteveBabbs
Old Saturday 13th July 2019, 01:01   #50
yakyakgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
I don't disagree with the above responses, but to add a cautionary note, it depends on what you mean by "really does compete with the very best at about half the price." If your concern is optical quality with respect to resolution of either zoom or fixed power eyepieces, and to FOV and eye relief of fixed power eyepieces, the answer is yes. When it comes to wide angle zoom performance, the answer is more nuanced. I've no experience with the wide zoom available for the Monarch scopes, but even if it is top quality it is pricey and makes the scope less stunning as a budget option (since it seems, at least in the USA, that Nikon is no longer offering it with the scope body, only separately, and the scope is not available body only, only with the 20-60x zoom). You should also consider the Kowa and Meopta wide angle zoom competitors.

You can get the same optical performance from the (even cheaper, used) Fieldscope 82ED or (much cheaper still!) Fieldscope 78ED, but those scopes do not have the option of a wide zoom. I don't find zooms very useful for birding, so I have used the 78ED and 82ED scopes for many years very happily. In 1994, the 78ED was the best birding scope optically, in my opinion (certainly nothing better from Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, or Kowa at that time), and it was amazingly compact for a 78 mm scope. It is so good that I have not been tempted by the beautiful scopes that other companies have released since, and with the 30x WF eyepiece it is still my favorite scope for most birding.

--AP
If its helpful, I just got the 30x-60x and started a thread to do a review. I need a little help with how to do the technical tests though.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: