• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strontian Black Duck During Eclipse (1 Viewer)

gnome

I'm due to take my daughter up to Edinburgh Uni in a couple of weeks. Whilst up there I was thinking I might take the opportunity to go and see the Black Duck. However, there have been no updates for a while and I am guessing that it hides out somewhere whilst it's in eclipse. Does anyone have any idea where this might be and if it's twitchable at all?

TIA

Adam

Hi Adam. I think the last time it was reported was upstream of the second bridge. I walked up along the footpath past the school but potentially you’ll get better views of the river from the Polloch Road. We saw a decent flock of Mallard upstream but it was through some pretty thick vegetation. As such I couldn’t pick it out if indeed it was amongst them.

Good luck if you go.

Rich

It’s been reported today upstream of the second bridge.

Yes, thanks for that. I got in touch with the finder via Twitter and he kindly told me where he'd seen it. I'll post a screenshot below in case anyone else is interested. His instructions were: park at the church, cross the bridge and take the first left. I wasn't going to bother trying for it unless there was some news but now it's still being seen I'll have a crack at it this coming weekend.

With me luck!

Adam

Attachments

• StrontianDuck.jpg
    StrontianDuck.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 33
Good luck Adam. Quite a lot of vegetation at that location to peer through.

Rich

Yes indeed there was! I'm pleased to report back that I managed to see the bird though the vegetation proved somewhat problematic. For those who are interested there's a full write-up on my blog here.

Someone e-mailed me after I'd seen it asking for detailed instructions so I thought I'd reproduce below what I wrote in case it's of any use to anyone else.

The bird is just upstream of the second bridge, so around here. Park at the church and walk across the bridge and then immediately turn left through the gate marked Drumnatorran Farm (or something like that). The bird and its female Mallard mate hang out anywhere upstream of here. There is about 20 yards of wooded area on the left first of all and then it opens out to an overgrown area where you can see people have walked through it to get to the river. Please be warned that the ducks are rather wary and if you blindly blunder down there as I first did then you'll probably push them into the overhanding trees where they'll be hard to see. If you approach cautiously then you'll stand a better chance. It's still possible to view the ducks when they're under the trees by going through the wooded area itself where you can look across the river and this is what I ended up doing after I'd spooked them.

Last edited:
I just thought I'd share a couple of photos for good measure. In the first shot you can see how skulking it was, hiding right under a tree on the far bank. It took a bit of work to get into a position to see it.

Good luck to anyone else thinking of going for it.

Adam

Attachments

• _BlkDk2.jpg
    _BlkDk2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 14
  • _BlkDk_700px.jpg
    _BlkDk_700px.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 22
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back