• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are my juncos gone? (1 Viewer)

columbidae

After I came home from my bird walk around noon, I spent the rest of the afternoon watching my feeders. Not much activity out there today, and it took a while to realize what was different. There was not a single dark-eyed junco the whole day on the ground under the feeders. I guess they may have migrated--I had noticed over the last few days that there have been fewer than usual.

I know this is inevitable, but the juncos are one of my favorites, and it's still kind of sad when they leave for the summer.
:-C

Mine are still here. They stay with the Chipping Sparrows that have been around all winter. My Red-bellied woodpeckers are back - hopefully in about another month the Hummingbirds will return. Been quite a good year back yard birding.

Niteowl, I am definitely jealous, just imagining having juncos year-round! I may just have to move from Charlotte up to the mountains sometime soon.

The juncos are still here in PA. Last Sunday we had a gigantic snow (31 inches) so I am sure the juncos are enjoying the snow and cold. When they leave, I can think about golf, fishing, etc. I do enjoy them but I enjoy summer a little bit more.

Columbidae, the winters in the Blue Ridge can be unplesant. This winter in particular has had much snow, ice and high winds. I bailed out for the coast in early December and haven't made it back. April & early May are best for birding when the migrants come through and there is no foilage on the trees

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back