• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

......and I thought it was just for Puffins!!!! (1 Viewer)

KenM

Surely NOT breeding...Puffin Island, Beaumaris :eek!:

Attachments

• P1750802.jpeg  More than just Puffins on Puffin Island.jpeg
    P1750802.jpeg More than just Puffins on Puffin Island.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 204
Nearly as bad as an Irish Peatland Conservation Council poster having an image of a Hummingbird Hawkmoth on a 'Butterflies of Ireland' information board, a Hampshire County Council 'National Insect Week' poster displaying a Spider and the Forestry Commission 'information and learning' panels at Boldrewood in the New Forest telling us that ALL ladybirds eat aphids and ALL bees die after stinging, despite displaying an image of a male bumblebee which is unable to sting anyway. Not enough diligence in the world these days.

Puffins do breed there!!! The RSPB with Iolo Williams cleared the island of rats which were eating the eggs and young birds.

Legend has it that there is an undocumented colony of Royal Terns on the island. Perhaps we should investigate, after all, it could be that they also have penguins and elephant seals breeding there....

Nearly as bad as an Irish Peatland Conservation Council poster having an image of a Hummingbird Hawkmoth on a 'Butterflies of Ireland' information board, a Hampshire County Council 'National Insect Week' poster displaying a Spider and the Forestry Commission 'information and learning' panels at Boldrewood in the New Forest telling us that ALL ladybirds eat aphids and ALL bees die after stinging, despite displaying an image of a male bumblebee which is unable to sting anyway. Not enough diligence in the world these days.

Cork City 2004. A new info board appears advertising about 35 bird species that could be seen on a walk round the estuary. 30 of the birds pictured were the American equivalent of their European counterparts. Thus the Common Kingfisher was a Belted Kingfisher, the Little Grebe was a Pied-billed Grebe, the Oystercatcher an American one, Teal was Green-winged etc. There were two pictures of (American) Peregrines, one labelled Merlin, one labelled Kestrel. I think they got one out of the 35 captioned correctly, but I can't remember which one it was now.

Wasn't there also an advertising campaign for the city of Birmingham (UK) set up by the local council that used images of its American namesake?

Cork City 2004. A new info board appears advertising about 35 bird species that could be seen on a walk round the estuary. 30 of the birds pictured were the American equivalent of their European counterparts. Thus the Common Kingfisher was a Belted Kingfisher, the Little Grebe was a Pied-billed Grebe, the Oystercatcher an American one, Teal was Green-winged etc. There were two pictures of (American) Peregrines, one labelled Merlin, one labelled Kestrel. I think they got one out of the 35 captioned correctly, but I can't remember which one it was now.
Nothing wrong there then, we all know Ireland is the premier location for transatlantic American vagrants . . . o:D

An information board in far southern California had a great grey owl labelled as "great horned owl". I'm not sure they've even made it this far south as a vagrant.

I remember correcting newspapers all the time on their incorrect IDs...usually simple things, like a painted lady misidentified as a small tortoiseshell.

There's also an information board at Tacumshin (white hole end) that mentions the winter swans and depicts a Black Swan.
I also remember a Hants Wildlife Trust event where they had someone dressed up in a Badger costume and the black and white face stripes were reversed. Did no-one check with the wildlife trust logo?

Really should be a photo caption competition too. Those Puffins look rather guilty and the terns accusatory ... why?
They're not puffins!. Penguins dressed up! you can just see the wire holding the flying one up. As for the terns, Oystercatchers in fancy dress with a nose job.:smoke:

:t: I'm installing some faith in the youngsters growing up but I suspect and fear a general demise in diligence.
Feels like it's far too late to instill (;)) any sense of diligence in humans. We've latched onto this idea that "Agile development" should apply to all facets of life, and that doesn't leave room for being detail-oriented, cautious, or thorough.

For example: real, talented, professional proofreaders have been a dying breed for over a decade. Quality assurance in web design has been dead on arrival almost from the start.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back