• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the perfect tripod for an ED50? (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
Is there a perfect tripod for an ED50?

I know this has been covered before but I am not sure the ideal solution has been found yet. Is there a perfect tripod for the ED50?

I would like one which is tall, stable, rigid, well made and robust (preferably with metal fittings), not ridiculously expensive and LIGHT (nearer 1kg than 2kg). Does such a thing exist?

I presently use an Opticron 42704, although much of the time I just remove the centre column and use it with the BC-2 clamp as a hide clamp. That works well in a hide and is easy to carry but is useless between hides. The tripod is very good - stable, rigid and tall - but at around 2.3kg is rather heavy for the scope.

Has anyone found the ideal tripod yet? I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Ron

Last edited:
Velbon Sherpa Pro CF 631el with Manfrotto 701RC2 head.
That is what i have with my (new) ED50 and been out today in the wind and it works fantastic.

Have a look on infocus web site that is where i got the tripod from....

Got a Manfrotto 718b whihc is nice and light and easy to use.
Weight 1.4kg.
Although legs in 4 parts which can take longer to set up - it collapses to a very small length.
H

Got a Manfrotto 718b whihc is nice and light and easy to use.
Weight 1.4kg.
Although legs in 4 parts which can take longer to set up - it collapses to a very small length.
H

Do you not find the 718b too short? I am now in the market for a tripod for my new ED50, which I love by the way.

Have not found the tripod too short?? (I am 6 foot).
Admittedly the tripod does suffer for stability in high wind but not 95% of the time.
Am guessing the stability and the height problems discussed above would be worse with a straight scope as you would need to raise the central column. I use an angled one however.
regards
H

Velbon Sherpa Pro CF 631el with Manfrotto 701RC2 head.
That is what i have with my (new) ED50 and been out today in the wind and it works fantastic.

Have a look on infocus web site that is where i got the tripod from....

It now seem's they dont do this tripod anymore :-C

"Is there a perfect tripod for an ED50?"

No. No in that some are too heavy, others too expensive, others too flimsy, others too short, and so on.

As for heads, some have to have a fluid head, some a ball head, some a pan head.

I use a ball head on a Benro carbon tripod and for me it leaves little to be desired but many around here insist a fluid head is the kind. Just how are you supposed to determine which works best for you by reading these responses? By counting the number of weigh-ins in each camp? Good luck.

I am now the proud owner of a Cley Spy Mulepack and it makes carrying my Opticron tripod much easier. It's not quite as convenient as carrying the scope and tripod over my shoulder but it leaves both hands free, which is useful when I have my camera with me. I used it for the first time on Sunday and the tripod was much more stable than the hide clamp which I had been using.

Mulepack details here:
http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/the-mulepack-c41.html

Ron

If you take the bag of the mule you can still hold the scope over your shoulder and have the bag on ta ovver (sorry cockney coming out) :-O

I think with the mule there ain't a perfect tripod as the weight don't mean anything. :smoke:

Long live the Giant Killers :t::t::t:

Anything Carbon must be the best option ! light, strong and hardly any vibration and they bend just a bit so you can really wedge it in to the ground.

Now i have used one i will never go back to metal...

I've recently been through the process of picking a tripod for my ED50 and after considering lots (and lots and lots) of candidates, I bought the Slik Pro 713 CF. I'm still getting to know its ways, but so far I'm very happy with it; it's the ideal combination of stability, lightness and tallness for me. Given my choice, I'd have dispensed with the multi-positioning of the legs, but that's a small point.

Michael

I've recently been through the process of picking a tripod for my ED50 and after considering lots (and lots and lots) of candidates, I bought the Slik Pro 713 CF. I'm still getting to know its ways, but so far I'm very happy with it; it's the ideal combination of stability, lightness and tallness for me. Given my choice, I'd have dispensed with the multi-positioning of the legs, but that's a small point.

Michael
Hi Michael. Which head did you go for in the end and are you happy with your choice?

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back