• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of raptor??? (1 Viewer)

Christoph

Hi everyone,

Today I had been out for a little walk around my house to a near forrest. I've got watched all the time to this bird (3-5) and asked my who their are..

Can anyone help me???

thanks Christoph

PS: it looks like they wonna build somethin, or what do you mean??? ;)

Attachments

• whos-that.jpg
    whos-that.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 541
I agree they are terrific shots! I dont suppose many people see kites Nestbuilding. Thanks for posting these pics Christoph.

ps there is a new post in raptors re red Kites, But I cant seem to get the meaning of the post's, looks like a couple of letters?
Anyone like to comment?

thank you all for your quick help...

I don't know, if their already nesting or if it's coutship move. I wonna spend them some attention, may I find where they wonna nest..
About the picture: on all three picture it's the same bird with the same peace of wood. I just moved it from this feet to his bill. I have got shot about 8 pictures in less then 30 seconds. He/She flow about 20-30 about my head. To me, it's an "photographer" the quality is more lousy, could be better...
Christoph

Those really are fantastic photos Christoph. Well done :t: I see them quite often but I’ve never seen them carrying nesting materials before. If this is near your house let us know if there are any fledglings in a few weeks. I know raptors lay early to catch the spring rush of new arrivals to feed their young.

Hi all

I could be wrong but I think we must consider Black Kite
(Milvus Migrans) as well.
The picture doesn't convince me that this is a Red Kite!
Am I right to think at this time of the year spring the Red Kites are at it's brightest?
Also the lenght of the tail seems to short and the shape of the wings don't recall the Red Kites I have seen in the past!
Correct me if I am wrong please
Very nice flight shots Christoph (Digiscoped?)

@Raydes:
no, only a dSLR with a 28-200mm Zoom with a result of 300mm...

About the kind of Kite: when I look to the pictures in the onlineguide, I would say red..
but when I listened to the callings, the I would say black. I can remember that I heard something like the black once, but not exact at the time when I did the pictures...
Is it possible the red and blacks have almost the same territorial???
Christoph

Christoph

Nice you mentioned the call I am not familiar with the call from the Black Kite but heard the one from Red Kite a few times.
I looked it up in The Handbook off Bird identification there it's described really different between the two?
What do u mean by territorial?
Do u mean territorium! if yes is there a lake in your's vincinity?
That would be favoured by a black kite! further there seems to be a resemblance off habitats!
Of course there's a different way of hunting between the two kites sometimes,but this will take to long to discuss here.

Did you see a very deep forked tail when the tail was not spread?
And was the bird looking very rustycoloured in good light?
Hope you get further with this.

And keep shooting the birds ;) with camera of course!

@Raydes:
yes i mean territorium.
the nearest lake is about 5 miles away.. but maybe a half a mile away is a river (with some grey herons).
About the Tail, I can't say, and on all may pictuers of these sequence it spreaded.
About the Color, I would say more rustycolored..
I would guess a red one by 2:1
Of course I wonna stay by the cam.. but thinking about something like 80-400mm
Christoph

I would still go for Red Kite as the white at the outer edges of the wing wouldn't be that colour with a Black Kite. I'm sure Black Kite is of a much greyer colour.

I must admit the tail is not very “typical” for Red Kite but the white wing patches are. I have limited experience of both and I would say red. Hope you get some more pics, Christoph.

sorry all.

It seems that pictures don't tell everything I made some research and I saw that i made a fool of myself :)
The extensive white patches here mentioned and also 5 fingers made me see my mistake.
Anyway I learn't something more.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back