• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mystery bird (1 Viewer)

slawekpar

Hi

I cannot identify this bird.
I took this photo two days ago in Poland.

Thanks for help

Slawek

Attachments

• larus.jpg
    larus.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 497
Again me. Thanks for your help. I thought it could be leucyst. argentatus because it was exactly the same size. Flying I could not see any black spots at the end of tail and wings ( in spite of photo )

Thanks

Hi Slawek,
Could it be a partial albino/leucistic Yellow-legged Gull?(not sure if these are treated as conspecific with Herring in Poland?)
Either that,Caspian(cachinnans) or Herring(argentatus),I think.
Harry H

I don't think that this is a Great Black-backed. The bill ain't heavy enough and the head profile is wrong. I'd rather agree with slawekpar and Mr. Hussey that this is a Herring/Caspian Gull, and why not include Yellow-legged as well. What seems to be an all-dark bill in a 2 cy bird (which I think this is) leaves out Herring, so we are left with Caspian/Yellow-legged. And with such an abnormal paleness as in this bird I dare not guess any further ;-)

Hi Prestøy,

Difficult to say for sure - I thought the bill looked thinner than it might actually be because the photo is a bit blurred.

But if what you say for GBB is correct, that would apply equally to YL Gull (michahellis) as that also has a relatively short, stout bill. So that would leave just cachinnans as an option.

Michael

I initially thought it was a GBB Gull, because it looks quite big and stocky. If it's the same size as argentatus then one of the Yellow-legged gulls has to be prime candidate. It may be just my monitor but is that grey adult type feathers coming through on the median coverts and scapulars? If it is then it must be Yellow - legged - surely the head is too flat for cachinnans? I don't know much about Nelson's Gull (Herring X Glaucous) is this a possibility? or is the bill too black?

Darrell

Howdo all,

I don't think this gull is either Yellow-legged or Cachinnans.
If it is as big as an Argentatus then size rules out Yellow-legged as they are smaller. The obvious bulk on the bird to me rules out the sleeker looking Cachinnans. The all dark bill suggests this bird is still a 1st year. We have also to remember the size differences between the sexes in large gulls which can differ quite a lot.
I too can see a hint of grey in the mantle/scaps but not where I'd expect it at the base of the neck. though in the second photo the hint of grey is not there.
If this was a GBB or Yellow-legged would it look so pale? (I know it is leucistic with the lack of dark primaries) I think the lack of fierceness to it suggests it's a Argentatus Herring and not a GBB, it also doesn't have that brute forceful look of a GBB.

Mark

Could also be a myriad of other possible hybrids or leucistic birds.

Just to mix things up and start a new line of thought. The wings seem to be a lot longer than the tail in the first photo. Most of the species discussed so far have wings the same length, or just a bit longer than the tail.

The more I look at this bird the more it reminds me of a first year Iceland Gull (Larus glaucoides kumlieni?). They are usually smaller than the sp. discussed so far, but I have seen them as large as a small Glaucous Gull. Also looks somewhat like a juv Glaucous-winged Gull, although the bill should be a bit heavier & the wings a little shorter with only an inch or so extending beyond the tail. Iceland would be a lot more likely in Poland than a G-WG.

Hal

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back