• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cirl Bunting or not?? (1 Viewer)

Tony_InDevon

Bird Lover & People Photographer
Hi everyone, when I saw this bird on Sunday at Wembury, South Devon it looked liked a Yellow Hammer but wrong if you know what I mean. The National Trust Wardens told me that it is a Cirl Bunting and told me all about it.

However, now I have the picci's back I'm not so sure. So with all the experience here I offer it up for your opinion please.

Many thanks Tony.

Attachments

• femal_cirl_bunting_2003_01.jpg
    femal_cirl_bunting_2003_01.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 462
Tony,
The red to brown rump which is just visible on your very clear and sharp picture points to Yellowhammer.

I fear this is just a rather dark female Yellowhammer. The rusty-reddish rump (just visible in this photo, at the base of the tail, below the wing) is right for Yellowhammer, but wrong for Cirl, which is grey-green there.

Michael

Thanks guys, I knew you could solve it :clap: If anyone is looking for a Yellow Hammer that enjoys posing for the camera, here it is. I have about 20 shots of the lady for my portfolio :'D

Female Cirl Buntings can show a rusty tinge to the upper tail coverts, but I'd agree that whilst this is a very well marked individual, it is too 'yellow' to be a Cirl Bunting.

Darrell

I have to admit that until an hour before I took this shot, I didn't know anything about Cirl Buntings. But as you can guess I'm reading everything I can find at the moment.

Thanks for that Darrell

I hav'nt seen Cirl in UK... yet...

Although there was a record of a singing bird in typical Yellowhammer habitat, close to Durham City in the 70's !

S

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back