• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit behaviour. (1 Viewer)

roosmum

The blue tit that's taken possession of the sparrow box has been tapping inside it for four days now. Other years they've tapped on and off and sometimes around the entrance hole but I've never heard one at it this long.
I've not seen it taking any nest material in yet either.
I've always thought the tapping was sort of "customising" the box and laying claim to it, is that correct?

Hi Rose,
Well thats some barn conversion you know!!!!! lol!!! 3:)
Seriously though I too have always thought the tapping to be the birds way of homemaking???
My Sparrow terrace is STILL un-used after 3 seasons so I'd be glad for owt to use it!!! :-O
Good luck with yours,keep us informed won't you?
Best wishes,

Hi Rose & Ruth,

You're both right, but I wonder if it knows that there's more cold weather on the way and is just keeping others reminded that it belongs to him/her until such times that it can get on with taking materials in.

They forecast it being bitterly cold again on Tuesday and no doubt all our feathered friends (and otherwise) are aware of that. Keep on watching though Rose, you'll soon know when the weather's on the up!

We haven't seen and Blue or Greats even get within sniffing distance of any of ours yet, so they're one up on us! Good luck girls!

Hi all,

We've just put another nest box up at the weekend. Do you think there's any chance it will be used this year? I do hope so.

We have blue tits already in our other nest box, just as we've had every year since we moved in (we inherited it). I'll need to keep an eye on them for when they get busy!!!

Cheers, B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back