• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Big Year - 2016. 398 so far. (1 Viewer)

Paul Higson

Just heard that Mark Pass was up looking at the Black throated Thrush on Orkney very recently and it was his 398th sp for the year. . .

His attempt seems to have slipped beneath the radar big time. (Well it has up here).

Anyone know anything more ??

Last edited:
He's a fellow Derbyshire lad and was keeping things very low key for a while. But saw him at Spurn recently and he acknowledged this massive attempt was "out there". Its been a fantastic year for him obviously and during it he's moved house and kept working.......!

What's the current record?
Can't imagine anyone in germany getting anything near 400! What an impressive number!

Maffong

That is a fantastic number. Of course, the immediate question has to be the basis of the attempt - what taxonomy and approach to status eg UK400 or BOU? Also the geographical area - British or British & Irish?

All the best

That is a fantastic number. Of course, the immediate question has to be the basis of the attempt - what taxonomy and approach to status eg UK400 or BOU? Also the geographical area - British or British & Irish?

All the best

Actually a more immediate and interesting question is whether we can persuade Mark to open up about his year in general. I knew it was going on back in the summer but given the history of the record I'm not at all surprised its only just becoming generally known. ;)

To that end we might reasonably hope that Mark will sooner or later publish his list - maybe on Bubo or eBird? And perhaps some key events? It sounds like a spectacular if gruelling year. It would be nice to have it written up on here (please, Mark!)

It looks to me as if Britain (or the British Isles) has a new "champion twitcher" -at any rate in the year listing arena. Now that is definitely something to celebrate! o:D

John

All the best

UK400 & British - though he wasn't strictly doing UK400 to begin with so didn't go for things like BH Wagtail & Hornemann's Arctic Redpoll!

Sam

What's the current record?
Can't imagine anyone in germany getting anything near 400! What an impressive number!

Maffong

The current (generally accepted) record is held by Adrian Webb who in 2000 saw (I think) 383 sp. The total was disputed by a certain well known birder here who has a history of, well, disputing 'big year' attempts.

I don't know which list Adrian followed.

Haven't held much interest in attempts since that year so I'm not really up to speed but I'm pretty sure this total hasn't been surpassed.

Hope he takes pics. As he'll be hauled before the dock for some very intense interrogation by someone no doubt!

I don't know which list Adrian followed.

Adrian's list is in the February 2001 Birding World pages 76 and 77 (Vol. 14 No. 2) and was a UK400 club British and Irish List. Not sure what converting it would produce.

The editorial comment ends with - "Can the magic 400 species now be year-listed?"

All the best

Paul

Adrian's 2000 year list numbering 383 is attached. It predates Lee splitting at least White Wagtail and Siberian Stonechat (I believe). I am not sure whether there is anything else?

There are 11 species first recorded in Ireland - Lesser Canada Goose, Gannet, Great White Egret, Short-billed Dowitcher, Whimbrel, Little Gull, Bonaparte's Gull, Ross's Gull, Gull-billed Tern, Pale-bellied Brent Goose and Blue-winged Warbler but I anticipate that Lesser Canada Goose, Short-billed Dowitcher, Bonaparte's Gull, Ross's Gull, Gull-billed Tern and (definitely!) Blue-winged Warbler are the only ones only seen in Ireland - so I anticipate a converted comparison to a British current UK400 Club list may be 379 for comparison (including White Wagtail and Siberian Stonechat)?

A conversion from there to a BOU British list would also deduct Ruddy Shelduck, Tundra Bean Goose, Greenland White-fronted Goose, Pale-bellied Brent Goose, Black Brant, Marbled Teal, Booted Eagle, Black-headed Wagtail, Desert Lesser Whitethroat and Siberian Chiffchaff so 369.

As the Ruddy Shelduck was on my patch, it should obviously have been accepted...... :-O

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Adrian Webb 2000.xls
    75.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Even based on a potentially record breaking year in terms of number of species (as per the other thread) it's a hell of a conversion rate.

Are we sure the 398 is BOU and Britain only?

Last edited:
Hope he takes pics. As he'll be hauled before the dock for some very intense interrogation by someone no doubt!

Already happening. Looks like British Birding has a new policeman. ;) Too early to start drinking?

Owen

Attachments

• IMG_20161116_072050.jpg
    IMG_20161116_072050.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_20161116_071907.jpg
    IMG_20161116_071907.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_20161116_071818.jpg
    IMG_20161116_071818.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 373
Have said before that 400 in a year should be possible ... but not many agreed ;)

A theoretical 400 shouldn't be too much of a problem at all - hindsight of what to go for and when and should be easy(ish) to work out where to be for the next one and link it all up.

But that's a moot point. For the guy (Mark) to get 400 (we assume he's there by now?) is pretty amazing - apart from a lot of good decision making/accessibility of the birds and them playing well/presumably a very flexible job!

Have said before that 400 in a year should be possible ... but not many agreed ;)

A theoretical 400 shouldn't be too much of a problem at all - hindsight of what to go for and when and should be easy(ish) to work out where to be for the next one and link it all up.

But that's a moot point. For the guy (Mark) to get 400 (we assume he's there by now?) is pretty amazing - apart from a lot of good decision making/accessibility of the birds and them playing well/presumably a very flexible job!

Would 400 ever be possible listing to BOU?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back