• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (1 Viewer)

What was the bird?

I'm not sure. The Cotswolds isn't particularly noted for rare stuff and I'm not aware of anything major that's been reported there recently.

Thanks for the link Andrew - it speaks for itself and exactly what I am afraid of - a handful of birders reflecting badly on all of us

I’m confused as to why they were reported to the RSPB though - it’s unlikely they were staff?

Apparently Short-eared Owls at Hawling. Not a rare bird.

All the best

Something I've been pondering is this: instead of universal lock down, identify every person who is known to be in a vulnerable class. Invite them to self-isolate, and provide as many resources to them as possible (shopping deliveries etc) to keep them safe and sound, but otherwise let everybody else get on with their lives as normal and let the virus run its course.

Perhaps this is a foolish idea, but it seems that every day the statement in the UK about the number of deaths refers to all the deceased having underlying health conditions.

Best isolation for vulnerable people would be ...ironically - on a cruise ship! Pre-tested staff, doctors and patients, keep them safe.

cheers, alan

The fact that I and others choose not to own cars, does not preclude me from voicing an obvious observation, that if everyone decided to use their cars for unnecessary journeys to circumvent restrictions, in order to go birding, or for any other leisure activity...
We are both obeying current restrictions in our locations, which are formulated differently. I am questioning the wisdom of what appear to be yours. You seem to be misunderstanding that, or at any rate not responding to what I've said or asked, but repeating yourself.

Why am I saying people don’t have an absolute right to liberty, because, In times of social hardship and loss of civil liberties (even to a noble end) people start to rebel if they perceive other people apparently not impacted by or avoiding curtailments. That’s why I said ‘if people see their neighbours get into their subaru for a jolly’ etc people will get angry and start to push back against the restrictions.
If you look back you will find that you didn't actually make that list bit clear, and you contrasted people who don't have a car with people who do, not people who take trips now with people who could but don't. That seems to have confused the issue.

I think I have responded to your posts with patience given your comments were threatening (as you intended them to be)...
There you go again attributing motives. I thought I reminded you that was a bad idea. Twice. Not to mention the complete absurdity: in what possible way could I be a threat to you? This is a hard time; take good care of yourself.

Last edited:
we have to

Read all this too you know ... ;)

:smoke:

actually you don’t Dan, you could read a book or watch TV -;) i

Can’t believe how I got sucked in like that tho’ - note to self ignore,ignore ignore :-O:-O Ive actually tried to delete my previous posts but I can’t - I agree very boring for everyone else (for me too!)

Last edited:
Some comments that followed were related to the possible advantage to birds, in the event that much of the aristocracy died out as they are the ones doing all the shooting which in turn, leads to persecution of raptors on large estates.

Why target my post, there are plenty on here that have nothing to do with birds?

I was not trying to target your post. I was reminding everyone not to post about people.

The 'delete' button remains viable for about a day or so; after that, it dies. So somewhat less persistent than Coronavirus can be on surfaces :t:

Lol - Thanks Nutcracker - I didn’t think they were that old - how long have I been here - seems some arguments are more persistent than they deserve to be too ;)

Best isolation for vulnerable people would be ...ironically - on a cruise ship! Pre-tested staff, doctors and patients, keep them safe.

Was thinking holiday parks perhaps myself for some ... some nice static caravan parks on the coast that aren't going to get many visitors otherwise ... potentially good for birding too ...

To bring the thread back to the topic of ‘the impact on birding’, there’s a (much more?) sensible discussion echoing the points I was trying to make in my recent posts regarding car use/birding/restrictions here; https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=387832

Simply put - at least in the UK, is that using a car to ‘exercise’, ‘walk’ the dog, or drive to a ‘lonely place’ to do some birding will be regarded as a ‘non-essential’ journeys - it doesn’t matter how much certain individuals ‘get angry’ and frustrated about the situation- it just is. The emergency powers recently introduced means police are already ‘enforcing’ these restrictions and people wiil be moved on, fined or even arrested for non-compliance.
(I know it’s tuff so but don’t shoot the messenger ;) .)

Sky News
“11:51
North Yorkshire police are bringing in measures to stop people going outdoors

The force will be using checkpoints in the region to ask drivers if their journey is essential.

Assistant Chief Constable Mike Walker, said: "The new and significant restrictions announced by the Prime Minister on Monday evening spell out very clearly what each and every one of us must do to save lives. The message is clear and the warning stark. Stay at home, saves lives...

"You may never be in such a position again where your simple actions will lead directly to saving lives."

The force also said the checkpoints would be random and unannounced.”

On a more worrying note - if you typically do your patch birdwatching while exercising the dogs off the lead, a vet has a sombre warning - a bit hyperbolic but not without a bit of hard truth
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...-animals-as-vets-run-low-on-supplies-11963795

Last edited:
yes, i've noticed on my daily dog walk, an increase in dog walkers. Many give the impression they have never taken the dog out before, or might be doing a favour for elderly relatives who own dogs etc.

It comes down to the same thing, trying to reduce risk. I don't want to have to take the dog to the vets after a fight, or need hospital treatment for a dog bite right now. Give everyone and everything a wide berth. Great if you are an introvert!

I thought that it has already killed a few dogs? cats? in S Korea who have contracted the virus?? If dogs can catch/spread it ...

If so then dogwalking definitely shouldn't be an activity people should be engaging in irresponsibly (unless it's just going to eliminate dog owners only from the population as a whole perhaps?)

I thought that it has already killed a few dogs? cats? in S Korea who have contracted the virus?? If dogs can catch/spread it ...

If so then dogwalking definitely shouldn't be an activity people should be engaging in irresponsibly (unless it's just going to eliminate dog owners only from the population as a whole perhaps?)

Irresponsible dog owners and (without naming names of course ;) ) raptor-shooting aristocrats checking themselves out of the gene pool. This is looking like a win-win situation for bird conservation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back