• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (1 Viewer)

I think a new garden moth for me - burnet companion. But it had disappeared by the time I got my camera. I did get a nettle-tap.

Attachments

• nettle-tap moth.JPG
    nettle-tap moth.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 35
Not many moths again last night (five May Bugs though!)

Knot Grass and Willow Beauty NFY, two Shuttle-shaped Darts and a Brindled Pug.

John

My best night yet. 22 species, from 29 moths (but 4 still in fridge to do). 13 garden ticks, 2 life ticks. Barred Hook-tip was interesting, so was the micro Tachystola acroxantha. Coptotriche marginea wins the smallest prize at 3.5mm.
At least a week of low temperature coming after tonight sadly.

Not many moths again last night (five May Bugs though!)

Knot Grass and Willow Beauty NFY, two Shuttle-shaped Darts and a Brindled Pug.

John

Surprised and disappointed. I'm counting on you guys to give me some vicarious interest whilst I'm hors de combat. Even up here six miles from the notoriously cold North Sea, with the window wide open, I had trouble sleeping because of the humidity last night.

Found two more lifers from last night in the fridge bits. Red Twin-spot Carpet and Tinea trinotella.

Thursday nights catch was 17 moths of 12 species. Buff Tip, Green Carpet, Pale Tussock, Chinese Character and Shuttle-shaped Dart were all new for year.

Last night was a big improvement. Least Black Arches was new for garden and a Dewicks Plusia was only my second, the first was in September 2013.

Full list below.

Lewis

Attachments

• IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 25
Thursday nights catch was 17 moths of 12 species. Buff Tip, Green Carpet, Pale Tussock, Chinese Character and Shuttle-shaped Dart were all new for year.

Last night was a big improvement. Least Black Arches was new for garden and a Dewicks Plusia was only my second, the first was in September 2013.

Full list below.

Lewis

That's a pretty rare migrant, any pics?

Last edited:
That's a pretty rare migrant, any pics?

When I got my first one it was only the 7th Norfolk record. Now though, they are more numerous. Last year there were 30 records in Norfolk and 4 of those had 2 moths. They are now believed to be breeding in Norfolk. I'm not sure about the rest of the country as I rarely look at other county sites.

Here are a couple of shots from this morning.

Cheers
Lew

Attachments

• P1200949.JPG
    P1200949.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 34
  • P1200947.JPG
    P1200947.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 37
No Dewick's Plusias for me, unsurprisingly, but my best catch so far numbers wise. The only thing worth mentioning is a Waved Umber, NFY and something I only get once or twice a year.

Tonight looks even better, here at least.

Steve

No Dewick's Plusias for me, unsurprisingly, but my best catch so far numbers wise. The only thing worth mentioning is a Waved Umber, NFY and something I only get once or twice a year.

Tonight looks even better, here at least.

Steve

Very strange how these things go, Notts to Loughboro, under 20 miles(?) and I get them often.

Trap out again (its been in and out each night as we have had chaps up ladders replacing our knackered fascias by day) and the evening to this point punctuated by the bangs and clatters of May Bugs ricocheting from the window!

John

Twelve species in the trap this morning (possibly thirteen, but one little blighter flew off as soon as I removed the cover) five of which were NFY. Peak species for the night was Shuttle-shaped Dart with 12; otherwise Heart and Dart managed 4 (4 May Bugs as well).

One of the five was one of the few micros I take notice of, a Small Magpie. Otherwise there was a Birch Mocha that also got away without being photographed - it flew off as I was focusing; a White Ermine; one of my favourite moths, the Angle Shades, and the first Poplar Hawk-moth for the year.

Pretty good stuff.

John

Twelve species in the trap this morning (possibly thirteen, but one little blighter flew off as soon as I removed the cover) five of which were NFY. Peak species for the night was Shuttle-shaped Dart with 12; otherwise Heart and Dart managed 4 (4 May Bugs as well).

One of the five was one of the few micros I take notice of, a Small Magpie. Otherwise there was a Birch Mocha that also got away without being photographed - it flew off as I was focusing; a White Ermine; one of my favourite moths, the Angle Shades, and the first Poplar Hawk-moth for the year.

Pretty good stuff.

John

Only ever had Birch Mocha in Russia so envious of that.

A single moth last night, my earliest ever by ten days, Marbled Minor.

Attachments

• Birch Mocha.jpg
    Birch Mocha.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back