• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 32, First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Pretty much the same as Swaro EL. The SF 8x32 is 600g and the EL 595g so a tiny difference in the weights of the neckstrap or ocular guard could tip the balance either way. BTW this means the 8x32 is 180g or 6.35 ozs lighter than its 8x42 brother.

Note that now the focus shaft has been identified it is clear the focusing lens is not behind the prisms, but now consists of a moving doublet and fixed singlet right at the front. The whole caboodle is way different from SF 42.

Lee

Last edited:
Pretty promising. I think Zeiss went in the right direction going for optical performance instead of tiny size.

Yep. Optical performance over size, while at the same time keeping the weight down. Looks like a *very* interesting concept to me.

Hermann

Yep. Optical performance over size, while at the same time keeping the weight down. Looks like a *very* interesting concept to me.

Hermann

Dead right Hermann. There we all were expecting a straight-forward down-sizing of the SF42 and what we have got is a 32 with a totally different optical train. I certainly didn't see that coming.

Lee

Hermann

".......... .."over size, while at the same time keeping the weight down. ......."

Nice play on words!;)

Bob

Hi Jeff

I had time with both magnifications, but probably most time with the 10x32.

Lee

Lee,

Thanks for the capital news and initial review. Given your recent general preference for 8 over 10, is there any particular reason you spent more time with the 10?

Mike

Lee,

Thanks for the capital news and initial review. Given your recent general preference for 8 over 10, is there any particular reason you spent more time with the 10?

Mike

Hi Mike

No there was no particular reason it was just a case of which magnification was available to me to try out. Although it is true to say I have only quite recently begun to appreciate the capabilities of the 10x32 format so I was not at all unhappy to find myself having more time with it.

Lee

Pretty much the same as Swaro EL. The SF 8x32 is 600g and the EL 595g so a tiny difference in the weights of the neckstrap or ocular guard could tip the balance either way. BTW this means the 8x32 is 180g or 6.35 ozs lighter than its 8x42 brother.

Note that now the focus shaft has been identified it is clear the focusing lens is not behind the prisms, but now consists of a moving doublet and fixed singlet right at the front. The whole caboodle is way different from SF 42.

Lee
So 21 oz. for the SF 8x32. Nice, very light for a 32mm. The FL 8x32 is 20 oz. so it is only an ounce lighter. Thanks, Lee.

Love the 8-degree field on my 8x32 FL, almost 9 degrees sounds really nice.

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to seeing a pair someday.

Clear skies, Alan

Lee - I think you said that you wear glasses. So the 10x32 worked well with glasses? I have an EL 8x32 but I’m thinking about getting a 10x32. I don’t care too much for the size/weight of 10x42s.

Lee:
Thanks for your early review, you must be special to get an early look, and good for you. ;)

The changes in the optics are interesting, and I really like the fact that Zeiss is alive and well in designing new binoculars.

If you lived closer, I would loan you my SV for a comparison.

Do you think this model may be a new addition to your own collection ?

I suppose the jury is still out whether 32 or 42 mm. It seems that has been
a common topic and fun to talk about.

Jerry

It might be hard to choose between the 8x32 or the 10x32 SF. The 10x32 SF has a 390 foot FOV which is almost as big as most 8x42's. That is a huge FOV for a 10x and it should be very impressive. the AFOV of the 8x32 SF is 67 degree's which is big but the 10x32's AFOV is even bigger at 69 degree's. That is going to be some major WOW factor there.

Last edited:
Lee - I think you said that you wear glasses. So the 10x32 worked well with glasses? I have an EL 8x32 but I’m thinking about getting a 10x32. I don’t care too much for the size/weight of 10x42s.

Hi
Yes I wear spectacles and the 10x32 worked fine with them. The 32s have similar eyecups to the new ones introduced last year for the 42s, so they have the extra position available for a little more adjustability than the original ones fitted to the 42s.

Lee

Lee:
Thanks for your early review, you must be special to get an early look, and good for you. ;)

The changes in the optics are interesting, and I really like the fact that Zeiss is alive and well in designing new binoculars.

If you lived closer, I would loan you my SV for a comparison.

Do you think this model may be a new addition to your own collection ?

I suppose the jury is still out whether 32 or 42 mm. It seems that has been
a common topic and fun to talk about.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

You and others have been kind enough to refer to my post as a review but it isn't really, its only literally first impressions.

I need more hours field use to come to a conclusion about SF 32 but it is a very tempting bino.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back