• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 32, First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Zeiss not only pushing the optical-, but also the financial - envelope then. An 8x32 that breaks the £2K barrier!

RB

Exactly my thoughts, are they that much better than the Swarovski 8x32? I can only assume that they will drop down in price once they reach the shops.

Thanks for that Lee...

Can't wait to get my hands on a pair...
155m for 8x and 130m for 10x is outstanding...

Cheers
Tim

OhWeh...
Lol....Probably...

I found it visible in the 8 and 10x 42 SF...

Just wondering if they ironed it out in the 32...
My guess is it's goin be there with such a massive fov..

Cheers

Tim

OhWeh...
Lol....Probably...

I found it visible in the 8 and 10x 42 SF...

Just wondering if they ironed it out in the 32...
My guess is it's goin be there with such a massive fov..

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

I didn't notice an Absam Ring but I really only had an opportunity to get first impressions not a detailed review. Absam Ring isn't connected to field of view, see Henry's explanations elsewhere, and don't forget SF32 has a very different optical design than the 42's.

Lee

Very refreshing to see Zeiss release something that is a specification stand-out among existing options. It's only evolutionary in comparison to the Swarovski 8x32 EL SV, but the effort to maximize FOV while maintaining eye-relief is welcome. Having held off on purchasing the SV version of the 8x32 EL, I'll be tempted by this one, but given that I don't mind the weight of a full-sized bin (in my case, the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV) for most birding, I may be able to resist. As someone who likes to look quickly (darting eyes) around the FOV, a very wide and very flat view is extremely appealing. However, due to the smaller exit pupil, looking off-axis is generally problematic in 8x32 bins compared to full-sized, so it may be that the large FOV will not work as I'd like. I hope that the 8x32 SF is relatively tolerant of off-axis viewing when it comes to resisting vignetting, CA, and astigmatism.

As a long-time love-hate user of the 8x32 FL, I do appreciate its merits, and I'll note that this new bin from Zeiss will not be a superior alternative for all users. The FL packs into a smaller space, is slightly lighter in weight, and might have better close-focus (I'll be interested to see how much better the SF is than its spec in that regard). For birding+butterflying, the 8x32 FL is superb since its focus is rapid yet precise (single turn of the big focus knob from close limit to infinity). The FL has also proven to be super durable (mine look and function as brand new), just keep it out of the sand! The FL will also retain the title of best roof-prism birding bin ever made for those with narrow IPD. The 8x32 FL goes down to a class-leading 52 mm. I'm disappointed to see the IPD spec for the 8x32 SF is 54 mm.

I'm also disappointed to see "Zeiss" on the hinge cap instead of the old Z logo. They should offer end caps with the latter as an alternative accessory. Who can CNC machine or 3-D print some of those? I'd pay $20 for one, postage and handling included!

Note that in the "data", Zeiss lists the misleading (and, can we still argue, "nonstandard") spec of 509 ft at 1000 m instead of 465 ft at 1000 yards.

https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products/us/hunting/binoculars/victory-sf/victory-sf-8x32.html#data

--AP

Last edited:
Exactly my thoughts, are they that much better than the Swarovski 8x32? I can only assume that they will drop down in price once they reach the shops.

I wouldn't bank on it. If these sell well to those followers of fashion who are financially indifferent to the rule of diminishing returns - as they will inevitably do going by the BF hysteria - then it will set the bar for other marques to use in pricing future new/upgraded models when it becomes apparent just how much birders are prepared to pay to be one of the 'in crowd'. Stand by for a boost to the secondhand market!

RB

I wouldn't bank on it. If these sell well to those followers of fashion who are financially indifferent to the rule of diminishing returns - as they will inevitably do going by the BF hysteria - then it will set the bar for other marques to use in pricing future new/upgraded models when it becomes apparent just how much birders are prepared to pay to be one of the 'in crowd'. Stand by for a boost to the secondhand market!

RB

Equally problematic is that they may sell well to those optics enthusiasts who are financially indifferent to the rule of diminishing returns and who are prepared to pay to acquire the "best", even if it is only slightly better than some much less expensive bins. But if you want to consider fashion only, for what you get, and especially considering their utility, luxury bins seem inexpensive compared to, e.g., luxury watches or luxury handbags.

--AP

They've got a larger FOV than the Swaro, that's for sure. In fact, the 10x32 is the first modern top 10x binocular with a field of view that equals that of the Zeiss 10x50 porro from the early 1960s. The ergonomics may be better, depends on how they actually handle. And they'd better be a lot better when viewing against the light, that's one of the weak spots of the Swaro.

Will they be worth the price? I don't know, that remains to be seen. However, what is clear is that you can get binoculars that are almost as good at less than half the price. No matter how good the Zeiss are.

Hermann

The new SF 8x32 will have a bigger FOV than the Swarovski 8x32 and they will probably be better controlling glare since that is the weak spot of the Swarovski and it's somewhat inconsistent focuser. My question is will they be better than the top ranked Nikon EDG 8x32 even with a bigger FOV. The EDG 10x42 beats the Swarovski EL 10x42 and the Zeiss SF 10x42 even with it's bigger FOV so I am not sure the 8x32 SF will dethrone the 8x32 EDG.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Last edited:
They also rank the vanguard 7th and a Leica HD plus 14th. Something is not right here. Lol
I have had both of those binoculars and that is about where I would put them. Everybody has their own personal likes and dislikes and personal preferences but after having a lot of binoculars over they years I find Allbino's very accurate as far as their rankings.

I do have to agree with that one Robert unless they had a bad sample, (would not one ask for a replacement more representative to review?).They also have the Olympus over the Leica HD in the 8X42 rankings, that one surprised me also (those darn subjective rankings). The EDG is still a very good premium glass, it has only been out of production a couple of years, and I still enjoy them thoroughly.

Andy W.

Maybe they think it’s a good value and that’s why they ranked it higher than the Leica. All I know is you get what you pay for and especially true with optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back