• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 32, First Impressions (1 Viewer)

I had the 10x42 EDG and yes it was excellent. I agree with some of the rankings but some I do not agree with.
Because of personal preference or how a binocular fit's you you may disagree with some of the rankings but overall Allbino's is very accurate. This statement kind of say's it all about the 10x42 EDG.

"A record-breaking score in our test (no other pair of binoculars, tested by us so far, has reached a result over 150 points) and the lack of flaws that could be put in the ‘cons’ section are an explicit proof what kind of equipment we deal with here."

I do have to agree with that one Robert unless they had a bad sample, (would not one ask for a replacement more representative to review?).They also have the Olympus over the Leica HD in the 8X42 rankings, that one surprised me also (those darn subjective rankings). The EDG is still a very good premium glass, it has only been out of production a couple of years, and I still enjoy them thoroughly.

Andy W.
Andy. I think the Japanese are hard to beat when it comes to optics. They dominate in the camera market. It will be interesting to see how the new Zeiss performs. Zeiss has been around for 150 years. They are not dummy's when it comes to optics. They have a LOT of experience.

I am a lot like you because I have also had probably a hundred pair of binoculars. I should try and write them all down to see if I can even remember all of them. Lol

I really like 10x for the immersive view but I think I would also love the 8. Will have to try them or just get both.
I would have a hard time remembering all the binoculars I have had and some of them I have had several times as I keep retrying some of them. I have reduced my collection down to about seven binoculars. I just want a few of my favorites that I use for birding and those are the EDG 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 right now and I don't buy anything but alpha's. I will probably try both the 8x32 and 10x32 SF and if I like them better than my EDG's I will sell them. If not I will return the Zeiss. There are no dealers around here that would have the new SF's to try. I see no reason to have a bunch of alpha's of the same size that perform about the same.

Last edited:
Dennis, post 66,
The Japanes hard to beat in optics?
Many Japanese camera companies have Leica or Zeiss lenses. ASML, the top lithography machines for making the most modern chips for your computers or telephones have highly advanced Zeiss lenses and no country is to my knowledge at the moment able to beat that.
Gijs van Ginkel

Dennis, post 66,
The Japanes hard to beat in optics?
Many Japanese camera companies have Leica or Zeiss lenses. ASML, the top lithography machines for making the most modern chips for your computers or telephones have highly advanced Zeiss lenses and no country is to my knowledge at the moment able to beat that.
Gijs van Ginkel
It may be a surprise to you but MOST Zeiss lenses are made in Japan including the ones in the Japanese cameras. Even Zeiss realizes the Japanese are hard to beat at optics.;)

"All Japanese Zeiss lenses (which by volume means the vast majority of all Zeiss lenses worldwide) are made in Japan by Kyocera (Yashica) under license from Zeiss, using glass from Hoya. This includes the "Zeiss" lenses in all Sony and Contax cameras."

I see no reason to have a bunch of alpha's of the same size that perform about the same.

I know what you mean Dennis but binos that 'perform about the same' can have quite distinct personalities that make them feel like different companions to take out in the field and it can be pleasant to decide which companion you would like to take out. The aspects that distinguish one similar performer from another can be things like shape and handling, or focus speed and close focus, field of view or edge sharpness and any of these can make you favour one bino rather than another in that moment you decide which bino is going to accompany you.

Lee

It may be a surprise to you but MOST Zeiss lenses are made in Japan including the ones in the Japanese cameras. Even Zeiss realizes the Japanese are hard to beat at optics.;)

"All Japanese Zeiss lenses (which by volume means the vast majority of all Zeiss lenses worldwide) are made in Japan by Kyocera (Yashica) under license from Zeiss, using glass from Hoya. This includes the "Zeiss" lenses in all Sony and Contax cameras."

These lenses are made 'under license' because they were designed by Zeiss not Kyocera. Nevertheless it is a great credit to Kyocera that their expertise in manufacturing these Zeiss designs is recognised by Zeiss.

Lee

I don't think you could have given a worse example to make your point, Gijs! ;)

Not really Mark, since the lenses are designed by Zeiss. For a bit of fun lets turn this around and make an outrageous statement such as 'the Japanese can manufacture lenses but they have no confidence in their own ability to design them, so they are forced to licence the designs from Zeiss'. So where is the optical skill in this scenario? Is it in the concept and design by Zeiss or the grinding and polishing of lenses by the Japanese?

And I don't believe it is a simple as this. Of course the Japanese can design and make great optics, but for sure they must see a strong benefit in licensing Zeiss designs and manufacturing them for use on their own cameras, instead of developing their own and saving money by not having to pay the licensing fee.

Lee

The Zeiss lenses inside $120M ASML EUV scanners are most definitely made in Germany.

The Zeiss ZM lenses are made by Cosina, not Kyocera, mostly for cost reasons. Some of the more complex ones like the the ZM Distagon 2.8/15 are made in Oberkochen, not Japan.

The new SF 8x32 will have a bigger FOV than the Swarovski 8x32 and they will probably be better controlling glare since that is the weak spot of the Swarovski and it's somewhat inconsistent focuser. My question is will they be better than the top ranked Nikon EDG 8x32 even with a bigger FOV. The EDG 10x42 beats the Swarovski EL 10x42 and the Zeiss SF 10x42 even with it's bigger FOV so I am not sure the 8x32 SF will dethrone the 8x32 EDG.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

The SV will still outsell those mentioned 10-1.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new SF 8x32 will have a bigger FOV than the Swarovski 8x32 and they will probably be better controlling glare since that is the weak spot of the Swarovski and it's somewhat inconsistent focuser. My question is will they be better than the top ranked Nikon EDG 8x32 even with a bigger FOV. The EDG 10x42 beats the Swarovski EL 10x42 and the Zeiss SF 10x42 even with it's bigger FOV so I am not sure the 8x32 SF will dethrone the 8x32 EDG.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

For those who don't know it, the EDG has been discontinued.

Bob

I know what you mean Dennis but binos that 'perform about the same' can have quite distinct personalities that make them feel like different companions to take out in the field and it can be pleasant to decide which companion you would like to take out. The aspects that distinguish one similar performer from another can be things like shape and handling, or focus speed and close focus, field of view or edge sharpness and any of these can make you favour one bino rather than another in that moment you decide which bino is going to accompany you.

Lee
I am trying to talk myself into reducing my bino collection and you are talking me out of it.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back