• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbling Vireo ? (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify these 2 birds? I believe they may be Warbling Vireo. Taken in Point Pelee in April.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 0A0A5742-denoise-sharpen-focus.jpg
    0A0A5742-denoise-sharpen-focus.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 0A0A5939-denoise-sharpen-focus.jpg
    0A0A5939-denoise-sharpen-focus.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 79
The first photo is of a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher. You can see the long tail projecting to the left behind some leaves.

The second photo is of a Golden-crowned Kinglet. It has yellow feet and darker legs. Warbling Vireo should have more uniformly colored and medium/dark gray legs and feet, a thicker bill, and a different face pattern.

Possibly Tennessee Warbler for the first bird.
The Gnatcatcher has a very pronounced eye ring, not a dark eye line, as Bird Nuts has pointed out.

No, it's not a warbler. Shape and color are good for a gnatcatcher, but it looks more like a White-lored Gnatcatcher. Are you sure that photo was taken in Canada?

No, it's not a warbler. Shape and color are good for a gnatcatcher, but it looks more like a White-lored Gnatcatcher. Are you sure that photo was taken in Canada?

Why not a warbler? Given the location, I'm hard pressed to come up with alternatives.
I've no confidence in the identification of the dark area as part of the birds tail and the shape is from a quarter view, which is confusing.

As I said, shape and color makes it not a warbler. It's not a vireo either as is lacks a hooked bill and blue feet.

Chris, do you happen to have any more photos of this bird?

As I said, shape and color makes it not a warbler. It's not a vireo either as is lacks a hooked bill and blue feet.

Chris, do you happen to have any more photos of this bird?

What shape and color issues do you have in mind? What we can see clearly is the front of the bird.
That sure looks like a spring male Tennessee Warbler to me. The fine and pointy bill, the gray head with a white breast, the short supercilium, the dark eye stripe and the eye arc all point that way.

You're absolutely right we left Costa Rica on March 30. I must have had a couple of pics still on the card. Then that makes this a female White-lored Gnatcatcher. Thanks The Bird Nuts.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back