• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 SE - Haze (1 Viewer)

oathkeeper

Hello,

My 8x32 SE has developed a kind of haze when looking through them. It’s most noticeable when viewing in reverse through the objective lens instead of through the eyepiece at an indoor light source. I’ve attached 2 photos to demonstrate what I’m seeing. One photo is of the 8x32 and the other is of the 10x42 as labeled in the lower right corner of the respective photo.

You can clearly see the haze around the lights when viewed through the 8x32. But there’s nothing of the sort through the 10x42. The lights are clear.

Any idea what this is, what is causing it, and how I can have it corrected?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Hello,

My 8x32 SE has developed a kind of haze when looking through them. It’s most noticeable when viewing in reverse through the objective lens instead of through the eyepiece at an indoor light source. I’ve attached 2 photos to demonstrate what I’m seeing. One photo is of the 8x32 and the other is of the 10x42 as labeled in the lower right corner of the respective photo.

You can clearly see the haze around the lights when viewed through the 8x32. But there’s nothing of the sort through the 10x42. The lights are clear.

Any idea what this is, what is causing it, and how I can have it corrected?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Is it in both sides?
Also, was your 8X32 SE subjected to moisture?

Is it in both sides?
Also, was your 8X32 SE subjected to moisture?

On both sides, yes.

As for moisture, well, the highest moisture in the apartment would be about 45-47% with the air conditioner working throughout the summer and less than that with heating in the winter. But the glasses were kept mostly inside its pouch on a corner book rack.

On both sides, yes.

As for moisture, well, the highest moisture in the apartment would be about 45-47% with the air conditioner working throughout the summer and less than that with heating in the winter. But the glasses were kept mostly inside its pouch on a corner book rack.

The moisture level is fine.

One last question...just asking.
Are all 4 lenses truly clean? Some environments deposit a film on any glass surface so it's worth asking. You can use a flashlight at different angles to check both lenses and internal surfaces.

I had an 8X32 SE fog up but it was only on one side. A tiny spot of fungus developed inside that Nikon cleaned to near-perfection. I say near because I knew exactly where it was and with great effort could see a remnant of the original spot when it was returned. The view, however, was like new.

Good luck!

Hi mpedris,

It seems that the average humidity yearly in Nashville ranges from 53% to 85%, outside of course.
This is significant.
It may be that it is also sometimes hot.
That is a lot of moisture in the air.

I would think that the moisture got into the binocular when outside and stayed there when brought indoors.
If the humidity was high and it was hot, when brought indoors to a lower temperature the relative humidity in the binocular neared 100%.

As the Nikon SE is not waterproof, I think that the haze is indeed moisture, which will possibly lead to fungus if not cleaned internally.

Perhaps leave the binocular out of the case in a well ventilated spot away from kitchen or bathroom.

Regards,
B.

Would the ''put in a bag of dry rice'' thing work in this case?

Personally, I always leave my bins out of the case and it has been effective.

If going in and out of a humid environment and the AC, (more dry) too quickly this could be an issue. If I use a porro outside in the humid air, I make sure to keep it from changing environments too quickly (going into the ac). The photo looks like there is moisture in the eye piece.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back