• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed White Stork France (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

A few days ago whilst visiting Honfleur, France I took a photograph of a Ringed White Stork. The leg ring was white and had four letters AYEY. How can I trace the information on this leg ring.

Thanks

Mike.

Attachments

• DSCN1962.jpg
    DSCN1962.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 42
Thank you for replying and I have looked at the link you sent. I can't work out how to trace this individual ringed bird. This is new to me I have never tried to trace a ringed bird before.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for replying and I have looked at the link you sent. I can't work out how to trace this individual ringed bird. This is new to me I have never tried to trace a ringed bird before.

cr-birding.org is meant to provide the email address (or in some cases, the website) of the ringing project.

There are some sites that allow interactive ring tracing, like geese.org, but I think most ringing projects don't have the technology for this yet.

In my (limited) experience, you just send a summary of your sighting to the contact mentioned at cr-birding.org, and in return, you receive a "life history" of the bird you observed. (Which can be quite fascinating!) In some cases, I even received updates whenver the bird was re-sighted by other observers.

It's usually a manual process though, so it takes the usual "human in the loop" response time before you get an answer.

Looking at the details of each project's code description as given at cr-birding.org, we can probably narrow the list down to just two projects for your stork:

http://cr-birding.org/node/1671
http://cr-birding.org/node/1724

Regards,

Henning

Just to let you know, I did not receive a reply from either of the cr-birding contacts
I emailed. A bit disappointing.

Mike.

Hi Mike,
I've just seen your mail regarding the CR White Stork. I'll try to contact the possible ringers involved here and report back ASAP.

Eugene

Hello again Mike,

Here's the history of the bird in question. Seems like it was ringed as a chick in the same area in 2012 and has been seen not far from Honfleur on several occasions plus once in Spain. Can you give me the exact date and location when you saw it please so that I can pass it on ?

All the best,
Eugene

PS: It seems like your original message may have ended up in the spam folder due to the addresse / subject line . . .sorry about that !

Attachments

• AYEY.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 28
Hello Eugene thank you for you PM, I also had missed your reply on BF. The bird was photographed on 24th June 2019 on the roof of the Dechetterie, 14600, La Riviere-Saint-Sauveur, France. 49.4125916 0.2633855

I also photographed at the same time and at the same location a second White Stork with the same coloured rings on the right leg a white ring with black letters BTVR. I also sent this sighting to CR but received no reply, perhaps that also ended up in a spam folder.

Regards. Mike

Btvr

Hi Mike,

BTVR is also a local bird who hasn't been seen outside the region except for last year when it was in Spain.

Eugene

Attachments

• BTVR.xls
    55 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back