• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 18x50 IS anomaly (1 Viewer)

World's sharpest tele lens, whatever that means.

They would have got a lot more detail with the Leitz 3400mm f/8 tele lens made c.1940, instead of the relatively tiny Leica 400mm f/2.8 lens.

Or the U.S. 144 inch (3650mm) f/8 refracting lens.

There is a modern Zeiss lens about 16 or 18 inch aperture that is much more capable.

My planetary photos were taken with a native 4,650mm lens, used at 23,000mm f/72.
It's bigger brother is a native 7,000mm.

My friend's lunar crater photo shows at least 6 times smaller detail than the best shown in the video, which is pretty good but nothing special.
One could get equal or better results with a cheaper Celestron 8 or Celestron 9.25.

There was a U.S. lens about 34 inch aperture that surfaced in a Finnish magazine, but went back to being classified.

This morning in bright sunshine I took 26 images with the Nikon P610.
14 images are sharp and I can read all the words and letters on the white instruction flap. 12 are too poor to read everything.
All are 100 ISO.
Exposures at 1/800 second at f/6.5 are best.
Generally those at 1/500 second at are f/6.5 poorer.

The best images are better than I saw with the 60x77 scope, but I did not set up the scope today in these very good conditions to try them side by side.

It is clear that one needs to hold the camera very steadily to get the best images even at 1/800 second.

I think that if I had 100x and 120x eyepieces for the spotting scope it would do well and probably always does better in cloudy conditions.

Today the light was maybe 10 to 16 times brighter than with the earlier photos.

One must use 100 ISO with the P610 to get best quality.

So the P610 shows much more than the Canon 18x50 IS and can equal or better a good 60x77 scope in bright sunshine.

I suspect a good astro scope at 100x or higher would always beat the camera, even with the camera on a tripod in bright sunshine.

09.50 UT wind 270 17 knots visibility 40km cloud few 3000ft 5C TDP -1C 1003.5 hPa.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back