• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why we go birding .... (1 Viewer)

John what op did you have? I work in extremity orthopaedics so interested to know (may be able to help if it goes wrong)! PM if better

Look out! I read his book, he'll have your hand off and a Darth Vader replacement installed before you can say "knife"! ;)

John

An operation on my right hand at the end of October hasn’t gone entirely to plan as I am still have very little grip in that hand (although some say I lost my grip years ago). Hence I’m still not able to drive and, largely as a consequence of this, I’ve not been able to get out birding since then. It’s the longest I’ve gone without birding since I was about 12 (a long time ago!) and served to remind me just how important getting out in the field is for me. Note the slight change in emphasis. Happily, yesterday I managed to get to Stodmarsh – seeing Marsh Harrier, various ducks, Cettis Warbler, Chiffchaff, Green Woodpecker, etc (but missing Bittern). What rather surprised me was that it wasn’t really the birds that I was missing as much as enjoying fresh air, the countryside and simply walking through fairly 'wild' habitats. Don’t mistake me, I still enjoyed the birds, but it made me realise that, in some ways, they are an excuse and almost ancillary to the whole experience.

It made me wonder why we go birding ….

Because a History teacher sowed the seeds many years ago!!!!!

Also, as another reply stated to empty your mid and relax. You never know what you will see, whether birds, insects, mammals or even just the view.

I hope your hand heals soon.

Hello, neighbour! If you haven't already done so I recommend joining one of our local birding groups - Canterbury RSPB Group, Sandwich bay Bird Observatory (which organises many walks/talks in the area) or the KOS. It's a good way to learn from others.

Hi John, thanks for the advice. I belong to the RSPB and think I will join some of their walks and also join SBBO for some more birding activity.

To have an escape from the stress of the 'real world'. And to slip into existentialism, to find meaning in a meaningless world.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back