• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite camera manufacturer poll (1 Viewer)

What brand of camera do you use?

• Canon

Votes: 32 35.2%
  • Nikon

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Olympus

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Fuji

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Pentax

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Birdforum

Administrator
Just an informal fun poll. What brand of camera do you use?
If you vote for 'other' please feel free to tell everyone what camera you use.
This thread is open for comments

Nikon D7200 + Tamron 150-600 f6.3 G2 + Tokina 12-28 f4 DX Pro
So really only half brand loyal !
Open to enticement from other manufacturers that can deliver better, faster, lighter gear for nearly the same coin :)

Chosun :gh:

Canon 7d2 with 500 f4 (mk 1) or 100-400 mk 2 or 70-300 depending on quarry and convenience. I'm finding the 100-400 supremely flexible and its nice not to be toting a tripod all over the place for weight, convenience and speed into action reasons - but on a fixed stakeout I'll still take the extra reach and huge objective lens.

The 70-300 tends to be for night work when reach isn't such an issue because flash and spotlight range set the limits.

John

Since I could only choose one brand I chose Canon which is my primary system.
Calling Canon my "favorite" is a stretch however.

Indeed. A better question would be: “What’s the brand of your primary birding camera”? I don’t see where “favorite’ comes into it. . ..

I'm currently using a Fuji bridge camera... and am very happy with it. However as it's getting a bit long in the tooth and later this year I'm off on a trip of a lifetime, will have another camera too.

That will be the Nikon P900.

But clicked on the Fuji option as that is my current one.

I wouldn't go with 'favorite' just because I work with whatever I have, and have been through lots of different cameras over the decades from different manufacturers and different body types and sensors.

My current system is a Sony APS-C sensor E-mount mirrorless body, A6300, paired with the FE100-400mm GM lens and optional 1.4x teleconverter, along with a backup lens for occasional use, Tamron 150-600mm. Up to 1 1/2 years ago, I was using two systems - a DSLR and the mirrorless, but decided to switch over to the mirrorless full time as it was just faster, more capable, better IQ, and smaller & lighter to boot.

If another manufacturer came along with a camera that worked better for me, in the right price range, with ergonomics that I liked, I wouldn't have any issues switching brands. Right now, and for the past few years, the Sony bodies have meshed best for me.

I have 3 birding kits:

• a Canon Rebel SL2 with a 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM as a lightweight kit
  • a Fuji X-T2 with a 100-400mm plus a 1.4x teleconverter as a "serious" but heavy kit
  • a Nikon Z7 with a 300mm f/4 PF and a 1.4x TC as the up-and-coming serious kit, the 500mm f/5.6 PF on order

I answered "Nikon" on the basis. I am switching systems just for the two outstanding phase fresnel lenses, they are that good.

Canon 7D MkII w/ 100-400mm MkI lens is my current standard kit for birding and I have been very happy with it. The 100-400mm lens has indeed proven to be very flexible and a good balance between capabilities and weight that I have to lug around. This prompted me to check the shutter count and the 7D is just shy of 60,000. The lens was purchased used and is a mkI so I have no idea how many shutter activations are on it, but it will be higher yet. Even with that much use they both have performed flawlessly with the only real problems being when I erred. I am going to soon be picking up a used Sigma 150-600mm lens for that really long range when I'm in the marsh areas where I can't just simply get closer. I've tried it out on the 7D MkII and I must say I am impressed with its performance. I was looking at trading up to one of the newer MkII 100-400mm Canon lenses, but just can't justify the difference between the cost of it and the Sigma. I do commonly use the Canon "nifty fifty" f/1.4 50mm lens for both wider angle and for its excellent low light performance indoors. I almost always can get good indoors shots with it without a flash.

I just this month bought a Canon Powershot SX70HS for a backup camera and for its flexibility. Took me a little bit to get used to it, but the extreme light weight and the 21-1365mm range make for an excellent travel camera or just an easy to tote camera on daily walks when I'm not expecting anything really special.

voted nikon due to first dslr -d3300, and that was down to cost, seemed best deal at the time!
few nikon lenses, few sigmas, again due to price;-)

The problem is that we're not brand loyal. Between the two of us we have Nikons, Sonys, and Canons (so I went with "other" because just myself I use a Canon and Sony regularly).

When I was shopping for a MFT, I was leaning Olympus.

You could argue I'm locked-into Canon now because of one pricey piece of kit (a flash) and Tammy is locked into Nikon (because of lenses), but...I shop around every time I buy a camera.

To be fair, I only tend to buy cameras when the previous one breaks...which is 5–10 years or more. In which case I don't feel "locked in" anymore and shop for cameras and accessories without consideration for brand.

Canon, simply because of the 400/5.6L - no other lens comes remotely close in value/cost ratio and afaik you can't really use it reasonably on a non-Canon camera. Also the new super-lightweight DSLR models are great; I was a bit annoyed when they went the way of stripping basic things from the smallest bodies but 200D really fixed this qualm and I destroy camera quickly enough that I almost always have the latest generation.

After knocking about with Minoltas and Canons in the analog age, starting out digitally with Olympus and then going through several bridge and other other cameras (eg. Leica) I now seem to have settled with the Fuji X-system.
As far as I can see this will remain this way unless Sigma come up with a real steamhammer full-frame foveon for the L-mount - in fact I already have made a list of L-lenses so I could go and buy a new system at the drop of a hat.

I still do some analog photography with a Canon AT-1, an immaculate Rolleicord from my birthyear and recently I have been tempted by a Contax IIa.

Fuji-x for me. The most ergonomic and fun to use. The least enjoyable of the lot are Sony cameras. Currently using a x-t30 and don't really see the need for upgrading.

delia todd said:
I'm currently using a Fuji bridge camera... and am very happy with it. However as it's getting a bit long in the tooth and later this year I'm off on a trip of a lifetime, will have another camera too.

That will be the Nikon P900.

But clicked on the Fuji option as that is my current one.

The Fuji camera still works fine, but I've really not looked at it since I got used to the Nikon P900 last autumn (it only took a few days).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back