• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pages that need to be removed (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
The purpose of this thread is to have one place for people to report pages that should be removed from Opus. Currently, there are two types of pages that we would be thinking of:

duplicate pages. There are some pages for locations where actually the same location was added using two slightly different names. One should be enough.

Incorrect redirects: some redirects actually take away from the functionality of Opus. For example, this morning I removed a redirect for Starling, which directed to European Starling. Sometimes there is a need to see all entries with a title containing a word like starling, and that is not possible when a redirect is in place. For those who do look for the European/British Common Starling using just Starling as a search term, it appears as species #22 in the list generated now.

So please use replies to this post to give the names, and preferably also direct links, to pages where a delete is needed.

thanks
Niels

I think I have taken care of everything up to and including post #5. I almost felt sorry to delete some of the work-arounds that Delia had made, finding and entering more than 110 species of wrens to make up for making a redirect!

Cheers
Niels

I think I have taken care of everything up to and including post #5. I almost felt sorry to delete some of the work-arounds that Delia had made, finding and entering more than 110 species of wrens to make up for making a redirect!

Cheers
Niels

and 80 odd Kingfishers!

Serves me right I suppose... shouldn't have got so carried away:-O

But at least I didn't do 'purple' and 'ringed' and....o:D

Good going there Niels, I'm glad we've got rid of them at last.

D

I think you are right that "&" should not be used in titles, and probably not the other extended characters. May be something to stress in the Template/format threads.

I have so far only tried Wilson & Watson of the "&" titles. I deleted the "wilson" redirect, but am still not able to get the the original Wilson & Watson page, so I cannot delete that one. Try to see if the deletion of the redirect cause problems; if I hear back soon, I can probably undelete the redirect.

Niels

I have done some more and think there are my current recommendations: if you can get to the page containing an incorrect character such as &, then use move to get the content to a new page with a good name. That will generate a redirect that I hopefully then can delete. (at least I have tried). Your first action should *not* be to copy the contents and make a new page with almost the same title; that makes it more difficult to get the original page deleted, or so it seems.

I have not had luck with all of them, because I cannot get to the actual offending page.

Niels

Afraid that's the same brick wall I've just been hitting. And yes, I've been using the move function rather than copying the contents. (In a number of these cases it's difficult to figure out what the contents even are.)

The correct Wilson and Watson page seems to be fine, but it seems like we're stuck with the ghostly & page on the category listing.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back