• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X30 binocular model. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am looking for some 8X30 binocular that is manageable and provides a good image with contrast and sharpness ... if you could advise me of some average price model?
Thank you
Pluto

Hello wachipilotes,

If a 8x32 is the same to you, a Meopta Meostar 8x32 is all you need. At around u$ 900, with a u$ 1.800 quality is hard to beat!

Good luck

PHA

If you do not need weatherproofing, the Nikon 8x30 EII is a nice porro. it has roll-down eyecups, so not super friendly for glass wearers. I use them as my office window binoculars and really enjoy their porro 3d view.

Marc

I would recommend the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W, Nikon 8x30 EII, Nikon HG 8x30, Nikon M7 8x30 and the Swarovski 8x30 CL's. 8x30's are nice for birding. Big enough to be used in low light, comfortable in the hand without being too heavy, easier eye placement than a compact and they are usually considerably lighter and smaller than the more popular 8x32. With improvements in optics 8x30's can be a viable alternative to the bigger 8x32 and 8x42 especially if you don't like to carry a lot of weight.

Last edited:
Hello wachipilotes,

If a 8x32 is the same to you, a Meopta Meostar 8x32 is all you need. At around u$ 900, with a u$ 1.800 quality is hard to beat!

Good luck

PHA

Hi Wachipilotes,

To add a few others to the mix, in a range of prices, since you haven't stated a clear bracket. And PHA is correct, you should consider 8x32 if size is not an issue. If you wear glasses, make sure they have enough eye relief for you.

8x30:
Nikon Monarch 7 ~$325 US Well regarded for the optics at this price
Leupold BX-1 Yosemite 8x30 ~$100 US An inexpensive porro that should deliver a good image, but will probably have a lumpy feeling focuser. I own the 6x30.

Dennis has mentioned both the Swaro CL and the Nikon HG 8x30s, and I concur. They both are good binoculars, though not inexpensive. I prefer the Nikon for how it feels in the hand, and the accessories are better fitted, imho.

8x32:
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 ~$929 US Many satisfied owners on this forum. At this price bracket, you're in the ballpark for the premier level 8x30 glass that Nikon and Swaro offer, mentioned previously. However an 8x32, though slightly bigger, may be more comfortable, offer a competitive FOV, and collect a little more light.

If size and weight is why you've settled on 8x30, consider the 8x25 Zeiss Victory Pocket. It will actually fit in a shirt, or coat pocket, and delivers an excellent image in a truly portable size at around $829 US

Try before you buy, if you can, or order from a dealer that has a good return policy.

Enjoy the hunt! (for binoculars)

-Bill

Hi Pluto,

Providing you’re not in a hurry to buy, the way to maximise the price to performance ratio is to buy second-hand

Most of my binocular purchases have been second-hand. And particularly when buying from overseas, my strategy is to choose:
- sellers with large feedback numbers along with positive feedback percentages of 99.8% or better, and
- units that that are obviously in very good external condition (especially the lenses)
Using this approach I’ve had no problems

Two 8x30’s that I bought this way are:

A) Swarovski’s SLC 8x30 neu
It includes both phase and dielectric prism coating, though with a longer close focus at 4 m than most current production
and it has a slightly unusual front focuser that is no big deal to use
The neu version was made from 2005 to 2011. And as a second-hand purchase it still has the advantage of Swarovski’s service support

For a good description of the performance of it’s immediate predecessor, see Roger Vine’s review: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro8x30WB.htm
- the neu is marginally better in terms of coatings (see the graph in post #7 in the link below)

And for a whole lot more detail than you really need to know about the x30 SLC's, see this recent thread!: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380550

B) Nikon’s E 8x30 - the multi-coated version
This is the predecessor to the EII 8x30. And like the EII it is a traditionally styled, unsealed, external focus Porro prism binocular
It was made from 1988 to 1999, and numbering runs from 400,000 to 448,643+

It’s immediately identifiable by the marking on the left hand prism plate. See the image in Roger Vine’s review: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Nikon8x30E.htm
(the earlier single coated version has smaller more conservatively styled prism plate markings and is numbered from 880,000 to 936,734+)

The multi-coated E series offers the best value that I’m aware of - I’m amazed that they’re not a constant topic of discussion in the way that the EII's are
Using the approach I've described above, mint/ near mint units can be bought online for around $250 US
- though you can obviously get much better deals by not taking my deliberately cautious approach

John

Last edited:
I got some 8x30 E last year and then subsequently managed to find a pair of E2. Was more than happy with the E, but the extra width and surprising extra brightness meant I’ve now only got the E2.
I see a note that the E2 case is noted as poor… I got mine with the nice leather box with leather strap, maybe I am just lucky.
Quick look at a common auction site shows lots of E2 at very good
Price, but no E, so depends how much you want to spend.

Peter

Last edited:
Really like the Maven 8x30s. Compact and light with very nice optics and build quality. Handle glare much better than the Monarchs I’ve owned. Reasonably priced.

A new binocular by Kowa coming out in about a month that you might want to wait for is the Kowa BDII-XD which going to appeal to people who like wide angle binoculars. The 6.5x has a 525 foot FOV and the 8x has a 462 foot FOV(Big as a Nikon 8x30 EII!) . It is a 32mm but quite small and light at 19 oz. They are less expensive than the Maven B3 8x30 and only $75.00 more than the Nikon M7 8x30 and have a considerably larger FOV than either and a magnesium body versus polymer in the Maven or Nikon. The Nikon M7 8x30's are nice optically for the money but a little lacking in build quality especially the armor IMO. The Nikon HG 8x30's which are twice the price of the M7's are slightly better optically but quite a bit better build quality wise with a magnesium frame also but IMO they are a little finicky, as far as, eye placement. The Maven B3 8x30 is about optically equal to the Nikon M7 8x30 with a little better glare control but it is still finicky for eye placement. IMO it is not worth the price difference. Kowa's are known for really high quality glass with a high fluorite content and low CA. Priced at about $400.00.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...ttps://www.kowaoptic.com/BDII-XD-brochure.pdf
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3892997#post3892997

Last edited:
I had some 8x30 E's and they did not compare to the 8x30 EII's in FOV or brightness. IMO the EII is well worth the extra $200.00 over the E especially when you can get a brand new pair for that versus an older pair of E's. Since the Nikon E's are all open to atmosphere and the focuser moves back and forth you have to be real careful you don't get one with fungus inside or dust. The focuser can actually draw dust inside like an accordion with years of use. The Swarovski SLC 8x30 neu has the focuser at the WRONG end. I have tried those and other binoculars like them and I have never gotten used to the focuser at the opposite end. It is just inconvenient IMO and there are too many binoculars to choose from with the focuser at the RIGHT end.

Last edited:
Many of us have been asked something along the lines of ‘Since you seem to know about binoculars, what do you recommend? I want something that’s good quality but reasonably priced’

So having asked ‘What do want to use them for?’ and ‘How much do you want to spend?,
my first observation would be as to the general superiority of Porro prisms over roof prisms, especially when considering lower prices

And in considering general purpose use including birding, one way to view things would be to:
- start at around $100 US +/-, and
- roughly double the price each time

Putting my previous post into context, one possible list would be:

A) Various 8x25 inboard Porro prism models from Pentax or Nikon (less field of view than below, but convenience: ‘the best binocular is the one that you have with you’)
or Kowa YF 8x30 Porro

B) Second-hand multi-coated Nikon E 8x30 Porro (with production of 48,000+ plenty to choose from, and easy to service due to simple construction)

C) Nikon EII 8x30 Porro (especially the brighter post 2016 production)

D) Meopta B1.1 8x32, Leica Trinovid HD 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 or Nikon Monarch HG 8x30
or second-hand SLC neu 8x30 (slightly less bright, but with the advantage of Swarovski’s warranty)

Until we get to the D) price level, it’s hard to imagine any roof prism that’s going to be optically equal to the Nikon EII, or notably superior to the multi-coated E

Though increasing price will often result in both increased build quality and superior additional features

John

p.s. and of course at the D) level one can add the Swarovski Habicht Porro 8x30 (doh!)

Last edited:
Nikon M7s have the most glare of any bino I’ve ever owned. Lots of reviews say the same. Make sure to buy from a dealer with a good return policy!

Really like the Maven 8x30s. Compact and light with very nice optics and build quality. Handle glare much better than the Monarchs I’ve owned. Reasonably priced.

I agree! Provided one doesn't wear glasses for less than $500, you can't beat it. For $325, I currently don't KNOW of a 8X30 that will beat a Nikon Monarch 7 8X30.

I don't know know anything about that Opticron Traveler BGA ED 8X32 and I've been tempted to give it a try. Just haven't done it.

One can find a Nikon HG 8X32 at a good price now and again, new and/or used. I'd recommend it as a higher priced option.

I bought a pair of the Travellers. The eyecups were too short for me but work great for my wife who wears glasses. The optics are superb with a nice wide fov. I had previously bought a pair that had a diopter that didn’t work.

I agree with the maven 8x30. Bought a pair after demo and found them to be awesome for size and weight. Compared much better than I thought to a handful of 10x42s I had for some testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back