• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hope it's a good Autumn/Winter for Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
By next Thursday it will be that time when we start looking out for Waxwings arriving for the winter. I don't think there were many around last year I certainly didn't see them so I hope this year will be better for them.

By next Thursday it will be that time when we start looking out for Waxwings arriving for the winter. I don't think there were many around last year I certainly didn't see them so I hope this year will be better for them.

I hope this year will be good for them too, although I suspect next Thursday might be a bit early to start hoping to see them. Usually the first records tend to be around the middle of October and large numbers are rare until late October. Shetland might start picking up one or two fairly soon but the rest of us will have to wait a while longer.

Should be possible to make some decent guesses with suitable data. Any pointers from the Scandinavian berry crop? Or breeding success rates from the breeding areas in northernmost Scandinavia?

Next door neighbours two rowan trees are stacked with berries this year (none at all last year) so hoping for good numbers of redwing, fieldfare and hopefully a waxwing or two.

Here in Southern Finland rowans didn't do hardly any berries. So you have good chance to get those "Berry-peckers" there to the south in very early.

Only had one sighting last year, and just two birds, but it was the nearest I have had them to my home, so it was quite nice!

Of the four rowan trees in our garden, two are already stripped by a family of blackbirds and a couple of song thrush... not expecting the other two to surivive much longer!

Plenty of Rowan berries here in around Uppsala in Sweden, for now at least, so they maybe delayed for a bit before they head further south and west.

pretty bad in norfolk last year too i only managed to find 3 in hunstanton car park so hoping for a better winte this time good luck m

There was a claim of a flock of 15 in Aberdeenshire a couple of days ago, but I don't think the observer was certain of them (I think a poor view). I suspect it's not going to be a big year for them but maybe they'll just be late arriving.

Flocks of 10 and 4 reported in South Tyneside (Co. Durham) today.

Had a look round my patch this afternoon but couldn't find any.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back