• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rangemaster focus beyond infinity? (1 Viewer)

Patudo

sub-200 birding aspirant
United Kingdom
Hi ... I would like to ask those who own the various Rangemaster iterations (willspd, Rathaus and anyone else out there) how far they will focus beyond infinity? My prescription is, I think, 4.5 to 5 which is just a little too far for the Swift 766 I have.

Best regards
patudo

I have two Rangemasters. One is one of the second version produced by Fuji Optical. The other is one of the final versions from Tamron. The first one has by far the most over travel, nearly 3/4 of a turn. The Tamron specimen has somewhat over one quarter turn

Many thanks, Steve. Could I trouble you further to ask how many turns it takes to get from minimum focus distance to infinity on both your models?

I'll do a similar exercise for the Swift this weekend and note my findings. Mine has the metal tube focuser instead of the focus wheel and my only real issue with it is that I think it needs to focus just a little further past infinity.

Best regards,
patudo

Just checked the Swift 7x35 - it is about one and a quarter turns lock to lock and when infinity is reached you can turn the focus tube (mine is the short tube version) about a quarter turn more. The JB/JE numbers on mine are JB-26 (Futaba) and JE-45 (Tamron?).

The later Tamron has one full turn focus travel, clockwise to infinity. Infinity is at 3/4 turn.

The earlier Fuji has the opposite focus direction. It has 3/4 turn total travel, with 1/4 turn past infinity. Obviously leaving one half turn from close focus to infinity. Close focus on both is 10 feet. I was guessing somewhat on my first post here as I had nothing on hand to mark the wheel.

I marked the focus wheel so I'd not foul up this time.

Both are optically superior instruments, even comparing their single coatings to the modern multi coated menus.

Seems about right, quite a way past infinity. The tamron focus wheel is quite enclosed and as mine is a bit stiff
it can be a bit hard to use. Saying that if I focus at infinity I can focus at about 40m with eye adaption, not having to tweak the knob at all, unlike my other bins where I am constantly readjusting all the time.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back