• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 20x or 27x DS question (1 Viewer)

I have an ED50 angled along with an ED82 straight.
I use the 50mm scope far more as it is optically great in decent light and much smaller and handier.
Anyway, to the subject of EPs: All cited EPs will be as used on the ED50.

My first fixed focal length EP was the MC27x wide. It was well reviewed and, as Alexis pointed out, was very close in field and mag as the 30x on the ED82 which is my favorite on that scope. It is very good indeed. After that I acquired all the MC and DS EPs. After much field use, my favorites on the ED50 are the 16x DS and the MC 20x wide.

The wide field of the 16 and 20 makes subject acquisition easier and the view is brighter. It doesn't hurt that they afford friendlier exit pupil dimensions as well. If I had to pick but one EP for the ED50 it probably would be the 20x, but I would be quite happy with the 16 as well.

Added: Regarding the lack of eyecup on the DS EPs: I don't mind that at all and usually use my hand as a light shield no matter what EP I'm using.

Last edited:
The 20 mm is about 14x ,i reccomend a bst Explorer ,adaptable with right ring,for a perfect 23,5x and the flat field bst 16mm for an also very useful 17x...For only one eyepiece,and addressing your original question,20x or 27x, I think i prefer brightness and FOV(and a more steady image!) versus the extra magnification,so your 15mm /19x would be an excellent choice .By the way..what astro eyepiece models are you going to use?
Hello,

I'm new here😊 and I have a ed50 scope witch I like very much even with my zoom eyepiece. But I like to give it a try with another eyepiece. Where can I get the bst explorer adapter rings to fit my nikon? Can I get them somewhere online cause I live in Europe.

Many thanks,
M.

Hi..I posted that confusing info a while ago,and there is not such a thing that you can get anywhere..The eyepiece that I reccomended is the BST 12mm and it does work well in the ED50,but the adapter would have to be custom made,..(easily 3D printed these days)..I adapted the eyepiece semi-permanently with some crude/rudimentary means ,and worked just fine,but all i can say is do not try that at home..My advice at this point is buy the 20X W or the 16xDS for a great easy view with the ED50..
Cheers

Hi..I posted that confusing info a while ago,and there is not such a thing that you can get anywhere..The eyepiece that I reccomended is the BST 12mm and it does work well in the ED50,but the adapter would have to be custom made,..(easily 3D printed these days)..I adapted the eyepiece semi-permanently with some crude/rudimentary means ,and worked just fine,but all i can say is do not try that at home..My advice at this point is buy the 20X W or the 16xDS for a great easy view with the ED50..
Cheers
OK thanks for the info..
I don't have a 3d printerπŸ˜• maybe some one on the forum has and can help us out.
M.

Look for a used nikon 20xWide and you wont regret it..place an add in the classified section,its the place to find it,or do an ebay search,.it wont take long to find one and you migh get a good deal.
As a general purpose would be a great combo and worth the compromise magnification/field of view/brightness

Look for a used nikon 20xWide and you wont regret it..place an add in the classified section,its the place to find it,or do an ebay search,.it wont take long to find one and you migh get a good deal.
As a general purpose would be a great combo and worth the compromise magnification/field of view/brightness
Yes, there are some left in Japan. But only in ds version. Thx for the information.
M.

I made the adapters with my 3d printer, and can share the file later when I am back to office.
I made 2 versions, one only to adapt to the eyepiece, the other one can also incorporate the adapter(also 3d printed) to a red dot sight.

Attachments

• screenshot_146.jpg
    screenshot_146.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 29
I made the adapters with my 3d printer, and can share the file later when I am back to office.
I made 2 versions, one only to adapt to the eyepiece, the other one can also incorporate the adapter(also 3d printed) to a red dot sight.
Waw that's super cool. Yes I like to get that file if that's possible☺️ or maybe buy a printed one from you.
Kind regards,
Michiel

What kind of eyepiece do you use? Does it works well?
What kind of eyepiece do you use? Does it work well?
Kind regards Michiel

Waw that's super cool. Yes I like to get that file if that's possible☺️ or maybe buy a printed one from you.
Kind regards,
Michiel
Here are the links for the files:
Adapter only: https://3ducation.tw/project/project_detail/data/3ducation/tw/member_project/204572/
Adapter with extended arm for red dot sight: https://3ducation.tw/project/project_detail/data/3ducation/tw/member_project/204572/

You should be able to find a printer in your area in these days. Since I am in Taiwan, the shipping fee may be more expensive than the cost of printing.
Maybe you can order the print from some printing service in Europe like imaterialize(https://i.materialise.com/en) or scupteo(https://www.sculpteo.com/en/).
If you choose to print with nylon using SLS printers, the strength and precision will be a lot better than my FDM prints.
But I am not sure if the files will work well for SLS printers, since these two printing technologies have different tolerances .

My UF 10mm is on its way, I will update if it works.

Here are the links for the files:
Adapter only: 3Ducation - ζˆ‘ηš„δ½œε“ι›†
Adapter with extended arm for red dot sight: 3Ducation - ζˆ‘ηš„δ½œε“ι›†

You should be able to find a printer in your area in these days. Since I am in Taiwan, the shipping fee may be more expensive than the cost of printing.
Maybe you can order the print from some printing service in Europe like imaterialize(Online 3D Printing Service | i.materialise) or scupteo(Sculpteo | Online 3D Printing Service for your 3D designs).
If you choose to print with nylon using SLS printers, the strength and precision will be a lot better than my FDM prints.
But I am not sure if the files will work well for SLS printers, since these two printing technologies have different tolerances .

My UF 10mm is on its way, I will update if it works.
Nice work, thanks for sharing. Did the 10mm work out for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back